Greetings

  • polestar04102
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2001
      I am very new to this whole homeschool scene. I
      have just started homeschooling my son (age 11)
      beginning this past Monday (April 23) after giving up on
      the public school system.<br>It is totally new to us
      and a bit overwhelming so I am very glad to find that
      this chat exists.<br>It is easy to feel very alone at
      this.
    • tedys4me
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2001
        First I am not a present resident of the great
        state of Maine but, I was born there and the rest of my
        family still live there and i came across this site and
        I needed some info on homeschooling and figured it
        didn't matter which state I get it from so here
        gose.<br>I have three childern 7,10,13 and the children , my
        husband and myself got together to discuse the
        possibility of homeschooling and they all agreed they wanted
        to try it and then I began explaining to the kids
        that they wouldn't get to see their school friends
        everyday like they do now and that they wouldn't be able
        to take part in school dances, parties or school
        sports and you know that made them all think so now they
        still want to homeschool but they as well as myself
        would like to know what homeschoolers do about those
        things in your area? If you could help with this it
        would be great.<br>thanks,<br>Michele Trask Jones
      • cmslhomeschool
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2001
          Hi Michele,<br><br>I don't know what state you
          live in but it does matter because each state has
          different homeschooling laws. Here in Maine, we have a
          homeschool access law which means that homeschoolers may
          participate in any public school curricular, co-curricular
          and extra-curriculuar activities including sports,
          classes, field trips, etc. While some homeschoolers choose
          this participation, many satisfy their needs by
          joining a local homeschool support group where the
          children and parents make lasting friends and go on field
          trips and do other activities together. Also,
          homeschooled children maintain their friendships with public
          school kids after public school hours, on the weekend
          and during school vacations. There is no need to cut
          friends out of your lives or stop activities at the
          school that they enjoy doing. You might want to check
          with your local state education department to see if
          they have a similar law protecting a homeschooler's
          right to access to the public school. A quick Internet
          search for your state's name and homeschooling will help
          Kaylin (6), Cameron (5), Kira (3 1/2) and Kimberly (16
          months)
        • siahthomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2001
            Is this still an active club...? I am new at
            homeschooling and have recently taken my 15 year old out of
            high school looking for support and information,
            willing to share what I have found...love doing
            research..another mainer!
          • drforgit
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
              Greetings home schoolers, I am very interested in
              the course of action that you have taken to keep your
              childrewn safe from the path that schools have taken. I am
              involved in an organization that is interested in keeping
              kids on the right path. If you are interested, please
              check out www.rippleffect.net or contact us at
              cowisle@... <br>Thanks