Maine Homeschool Chat

  • cmslhomeschool
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2001
      Welcome to the Yahoo! Message Board for Maine Homeschool Chat
    • polestar04102
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2001
        I am very new to this whole homeschool scene. I
        have just started homeschooling my son (age 11)
        beginning this past Monday (April 23) after giving up on
        the public school system.<br>It is totally new to us
        and a bit overwhelming so I am very glad to find that
        this chat exists.<br>It is easy to feel very alone at
        this.
      • tedys4me
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2001
          First I am not a present resident of the great
          state of Maine but, I was born there and the rest of my
          family still live there and i came across this site and
          I needed some info on homeschooling and figured it
          didn't matter which state I get it from so here
          gose.<br>I have three childern 7,10,13 and the children , my
          husband and myself got together to discuse the
          possibility of homeschooling and they all agreed they wanted
          to try it and then I began explaining to the kids
          that they wouldn't get to see their school friends
          everyday like they do now and that they wouldn't be able
          to take part in school dances, parties or school
          sports and you know that made them all think so now they
          still want to homeschool but they as well as myself
          would like to know what homeschoolers do about those
          things in your area? If you could help with this it
          would be great.<br>thanks,<br>Michele Trask Jones
        • cmslhomeschool
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2001
            Hi Michele,<br><br>I don't know what state you
            live in but it does matter because each state has
            different homeschooling laws. Here in Maine, we have a
            homeschool access law which means that homeschoolers may
            participate in any public school curricular, co-curricular
            and extra-curriculuar activities including sports,
            classes, field trips, etc. While some homeschoolers choose
            this participation, many satisfy their needs by
            joining a local homeschool support group where the
            children and parents make lasting friends and go on field
            trips and do other activities together. Also,
            homeschooled children maintain their friendships with public
            school kids after public school hours, on the weekend
            and during school vacations. There is no need to cut
            friends out of your lives or stop activities at the
            school that they enjoy doing. You might want to check
            with your local state education department to see if
            they have a similar law protecting a homeschooler's
            right to access to the public school. A quick Internet
            search for your state's name and homeschooling will help
            Kaylin (6), Cameron (5), Kira (3 1/2) and Kimberly (16
            months)
          • siahthomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2001
              Is this still an active club...? I am new at
              homeschooling and have recently taken my 15 year old out of
              high school looking for support and information,
              willing to share what I have found...love doing
              research..another mainer!
            • drforgit
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
                Greetings home schoolers, I am very interested in
                the course of action that you have taken to keep your
                childrewn safe from the path that schools have taken. I am
                involved in an organization that is interested in keeping
                kids on the right path. If you are interested, please
                check out www.rippleffect.net or contact us at
                cowisle@... <br>Thanks