IDE/Editor

  • donhamilton2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
      What IDE/Editor are people using with SDCC ??

      don
    • Cyrano Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2008
        --- "donhamilton2002" wrote:

        > What IDE/Editor are people using with SDCC ??

        Hi Don,

        I am using programmers notepad, which I got as part of
        winavr. All I had to do to get it to work with SDCC was
        to create a new makefile, with commands to compile with
        SDCC.

        I discovered how easy it was to use with SDCC by
        accident, when I was looking at some sdcc code in
        wordpad. I think my brain has gotten used to seeing
        C code with color syntax highlighting, and it was kind
        of grating to look at everything in the same color.

        So I thought I would open the file in winavr's
        "programmers notepad", just to edit it, and then
        compile it with the bat file I had been using with
        wordpad. Well, it didn't take too long for me to
        wonder if I could get a makefile to run the bat
        file. Before I tried that, it clicked in my head
        that I did not need the bat, I could just use
        the makefile!

        You don't need winavr to get programmers notepad, but
        I think you might need at least the gnu binutils
        to use "make" (installs as part of winavr suite).

        There is one quirk to programmers notepad (and it
        may have something to do with the fact I am using it
        under win98), but the "output window" has a habit
        of disappearing, and sometimes dialogs (like "open")
        appear underneath the other windows. It's only
        mildly annoying after you understand what is happening.

        Some features I really like are the "tabbed" multiple
        editor windows, where you can keep several files open,
        and the ability to select columns of text for
        cutting/pasting. Also, it makes error messages (even
        from SDCC) into clickable links, and puts cursor
        on the error line when you click one. And the color
        syntax hightlighting, of course!

        CJ