Re: Questions about FyOS

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2007
      --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "iwireless2001" <waynem@...>
      wrote:

      > Jeff, I would like to thank you for all the work you have done on
      > this project !!!

      Thanks a lot! It wouldn't have been possible without all the hard
      work of Cyrano Jones though, who I thank for that in turn.

      > Were you able to find out what the internal modem had for
      > parameters ?? Baud rate, parity ???

      Different model Mailstations appear to have different modem speeds.
      There's a list in the Database section of the group here. The one
      mine uses though is 33.6kbps, using the chip RCV336ACFW/SP. There's
      a datasheet for it in the Files section here, in the "part files"
      directory, if you understand electronics enough to look over it. I
      would assume it defaults to 8-N-1 parity, but I have no idea. I've
      never written any code to access it myself as of this time.

      > Also is there some pin on the serial/parallel port that could be
      used
      > as a PTT/transmit pinout when the modem goes into transmit mode ??
      >
      > My thinking is to use this as a dumb data terminal in a mobile
      sense,
      > connecting to some 2 way radio units.

      The modem chip itself might activate some pins when it's using the
      modem, but I haven't read the datasheet in any detail to know. It'd
      be hard to take advantage of that anyway since the pins are so tiny
      on that chip.

      That's an interesting concept though. I honestly have never worked
      with any sort of half-duplex audio equipment with a data connection,
      but I assume it can be done. I don't think a standard modem would
      work, however, since as far as I know, it requires full-duplex,
      particularly to negotiate the connection, but to maintain it as well.

      The only thing I can figure that you could do would be to use some
      sort of external hardware to modulate data into something that could
      transmit via audio, and use the Mailstation's parallel port to talk
      to that device. Not exactly what you had in mind I guess, but that's
      the only way I can figure that it could be done. I don't know enough
      about that sort of thing to know what sort of device you'd need for
      it.