Re: FyOS Test

  • david_zmk
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi, a number of times i read that you have storage problems with the
      mailstation, maybe my suggestion is not applicable or already
      considered but, why not use the 8 megabits flash memory that the
      mailstation uses to save e-mails and CFG files, to store the FS and/or
      the program data? it's not a HUGE amount of memory but, 1MB is 1MB.

      Zim_256
      --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <fyberoptic1979@...> wrote:

      > Not posted here lately, but I've been working nonetheless! I made a
      > ton of internal changes, so I went from v0.02 to just making this
      > v0.1. The source is still messy though so I'm only going to release
      > a binary as a preview. It not only needs more comments, but still
      > needs some work to make it easier to access from outside code. In
      > other words, by the time I release the source next time, it'll likely
      > have an actual programming interface similar to CP/M's BDOS
      > functionality.
      >
      > http://www.fybertech.net/mailstation/fyos_01_ldr.bin
      >

      > The big internal changes are:
      >
      > - Interrupt has been fully replaced. This means the firmware's
      > keyboard routines were ripped out to be loaded from elsewhere, and to
      > also use variables in different locations. This was necessary
      > because...
      >
      > - I added in key repeat.
      >
      > - And an actual blinking cursor.
      >
      > - Replacing the interrupt meant I was no longer tied to using the
      > firmware's p2shadow and p3shadow. In other words, this should run on
      > any version of the firmware, since I'm no longer using any firmware
      > routines. And I created my own shadow vars.
      >
      > - The entire thing now runs from the upper 16K of ram. The command
      > interpreter starts at 0xc000, and the "BDOS" starts at 0xe400. The
      > command interpreter is pretty fat right now, since it's all written
      > in C. It was all I could do to make it fit in that space, and I had
      > to remove a couple of the help commands to do that! The "BDOS" is
      > all assembly.
      >

      > Since the code starts at 0xc000 (though initially executed at
      > 0xe400), I tacked it onto the end of a tiny loader. So you can still
      > load the binary at the normal 0x8000, and once it runs, it'll take
      > care of moving the code into the right place and executing it.
      >
      > I have to say, the addition of a blinking cursor makes it look much
      > more alive now than it has nearly the entire time I've worked on all
      > this. It was certainly worth the effort involved. For all intents
      > and purposes, it's now about as close to a true text console as one
      > can get.
      >
      > I don't know how many people actually have tried any of the other
      > versions, but I hope you like this one! And if you don't know how to
      > load it, there's instructions and software in the v0.02 zip to let
      > you do so.
      >

      > Also, in a funny twist, it seems that there's a perfect sequence of
      > bytes somewhere in my code/data which makes the Mailstation think it
      > was shut down properly when you hit the reset button on the back.

    • david_zmk
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
        Or you can try using a IDE device for storage, like a CF card (A bit
        difficult because of the connector) or a notebook HDD.

        Take a look at:
        http://www.z80.de/gide/

        Documentation in:
        http://www.z80.de/gide/GIDE.txt

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12, 2007
          --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "david_zmk" <David_zmk@...> wrote:

          > Hi, a number of times i read that you have storage problems with the
          > mailstation, maybe my suggestion is not applicable or already
          > considered but, why not use the 8 megabits flash memory that the
          > mailstation uses to save e-mails and CFG files, to store the FS and/
          or
          > the program data? it's not a HUGE amount of memory but, 1MB is 1MB.

          There were a couple of problems with using the flash memory. At
          least in my mind. The codeflash was the larger one, and I didn't
          really want to mess with it for the time being. Especially since
          it's broken up into 64KB sectors, meaning you have to erase the whole
          chunk to change anything in it. The dataflash is only 512KB, but has
          256 byte sectors, which is much better for storing data. However,
          they chose to use one with far less write cycles than even the
          codeflash. So after some extended use, you'd eventually start
          wearing it down to the point that it wouldn't work anymore.

          So that leads me to the problem of making some sort of file system
          out of it that limits how much it writes to particular sectors. For
          my little Fonera router thing that I reflashed a while back, it uses
          JFFS to deal with the flash memory, to write to it in kind of a
          circular loop, to extend the flash's life as long as possible. But
          the problem is that that method is more memory-intensive and slow,
          and I think that's the last thing the Mailstation needs to contend
          with. The Fonera has much more horsepower to deal with it.

          I considered compact flash once (which is nearly identical to IDE),
          but that would require an actual hardware mod, and I've always wanted
          to keep this stuff as casual hobbyist friendly as possible. Plus I
          didn't particularly want to risk the Mailstation itself for modding.
          That's why I thought of trying to use SD over the parallel port of
          the thing. That'd be slow, but it would work. It's just a matter of
          making some little adapter. Such a thing would also have to adapt
          the 5v to 3.3v. And I'm lazy and never did it!

          In the end though, it will probably come down to some sort of
          internal flash storage. I'll try to do some reading on what other
          people have done with other devices and see if I can get some idears,
          to avoid wearing the flash down as much as possible. It's just one
          of those things where I'm still at the stage where it's daunting to
          think about.