RE: [mailstation] Re: Re-engineering the mailstation

  • wayne
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2007
      Your thinking of the Model 350. This has a 900 Mhz. wireless connection to it's
      plug-in modem unit, so the Model 350 can be used remotely in the room and not
      have to be used where the telephone line plugs in.  It is not compatible with
      the 2 Gig WIFI stuff.  And changing the wireless unit out in the Model 350 would
      mean that you would have to get the unit type accepted again by the FCC.

      Easiest way is to use an "Option slot" for these. That way it would take anyone's
      unit, (Which is already FCC type accepted), and you would not have to mess around
      with it.  It would also keep the cost down by not requiring each unit to have all three
      hookup cards, (WIFI, Ethernet, Modem) inside the main unit.  I don't see any situation
      where you would be using more than one connection type at one time ??

      You could go with the Linux software, since it is considered "Freeware", and you would
      not have to pay Microsoft any royalties for anything.  But it would require more time
      compiling an Operating system for this specific use.  Actually, Linux uses less space
      to run than Windows does, and works with more stuff.  The Boot up Kernel can be "Edited"
      so as to just allow it to install and access only the drivers and devices that you needed it too.
      Unlike Windows, which loads everything under the sun on your system. A lot of which is
      not needed for your specific applications.  Linux will run well with even a 386 cpu and small memory.

      The Sendmail program is a tried and true mail program for Linux. There are lots of other
      programs for specific uses available for "Free" for Linux at the CPAN web site.

      Wayne
      Iwireless