Stand Alone LCD Module

  • benjaminmaggi
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
      Hi,
      I've carefully read all data on this board regarding LCD pinouts and
      the work flow approximations. (Message #38, and the .doc file)
      With this info and and some coffee i decided to hack the LCD module of
      one of my 2 mailstation DTE1, and hook it up to the parallel port of
      my PC.
      Of course i realized there's not enough data on this matter to proceed
      with this task (timings, and so on...), i know most of the
      documentation for this little baby is done by pure brute force hacking. :)
      Still i wonder if any one has reached some level of communications
      with the LCD ????
      Any help will be very appreciated.

      Benjamin.
    • wayne
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
        What is it you are trying to do with this LCD unit ??
        Maybe there is a better way ???

        Wayne
        Iwireless

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
          I'd love to replace the main board with one of my own.  I'd have to build a driver for the LCD display or find a way to salvage the existing one.

          I want to build a custom wireless serial terminal and the mailstation is an excellent form factor for that.

          Eddy

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
            Let me save you some time and hassle, if by what you are saying as a wireless serial
            terminal you mean something to call a paging company, and enter a page, then it
            would be cheaper and easier to go to EBAY and pick up an Alphamate or Wordsender
            unit.  They are already setup to do that, have a modem in them, and are pretty cheap,
            between $ 10 to $25 each.

            If you mean to send SMS (texting) to your cell phone, then you are going to have to do a lot
            of work and then find a program that will do SMS from whatever CPU unit you have
            hooked up to that mailstation. I don't think the CPU chip on the mailstation will work for
            that use, it probably does not have the sufficient memory to run a SMS program.

            However, some carriers (both Paging and Cellular) do have an Email gateway (SMTP), that will let you
            send an email to your Pager or Cell phone number.  In that respect, the mailstation would work
            as it was originally configured, and would just send an email to that address.  The Carrier's
            gateway computer would then get it and send it to your Pager or Cell Phone unit.

            You can either sign up with Earthlink or re-configure the DET1 by the "hack" on here and
            get on somebody else's ISP service.

            Wayne
            Handy Page

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
              I need a portable TTL serial device to communicate with microcontrollers. I use serial communications to debug software and a wireless, portable device would make my life a lot easier. I use a laptop now which is overkill for what I need. I want to write a custom interface specific to the projects that I do, primarily robotics and home automation. I've already decoded the keyboard and built a prototype board, but I had to go with a different graphic LCD which doesn't fit the original case.

              There are a few handheld serial terminals available commercially but none have the formfactor of a mailstation.

              Eddy

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006

                A Model 100 TRS-80 works great for that. You see them on eBay all the time.

                Neil

                I need a portable TTL serial device to communicate with microcontrollers. I use serial communications to debug software and a wireless, portable device would make my life a lot easier. I use a laptop now which is overkill for what I need. I want to write a custom interface specific to the projects that I do, primarily robotics and home automation. I've already decoded the keyboard and built a prototype board, but I had to go with a different graphic LCD which doesn't fit the original case.

                There are a few handheld serial terminals available commercially but none have the formfactor of a mailstation.

                Eddy

              • John R.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
                  On 6/19/06, Eddy Wright <eddy@...> wrote:
                  I need a portable TTL serial device to communicate with microcontrollers. I use serial communications to debug software and a wireless, portable device would make my life a lot easier. I use a laptop now which is overkill for what I need. I want to write a custom interface specific to the projects that I do, primarily robotics and home automation. I've already decoded the keyboard and built a prototype board, but I had to go with a different graphic LCD which doesn't fit the original case.

                  There are a few handheld serial terminals available commercially but none have the formfactor of a mailstation.

                  Eddy

                  Here are a few laptops ready to work for this purpose:

                  Model 100, 200, 102
                  Tandy WP-2
                  Cambridge Z88
                  Amstrad NC100, NC200

                  All have similar form factor to the Mailstation, and actually have much better keyboards. They all have a built-in terminal program. The WP-2, Z88, NC100, NC200 will give you an 80 column screen. However I like the simplicity and the community of users of the Model T: Tandy 102 and Tandy 200 myself, though these units only have a 40 column screen.

                  -- John.

                • Eddy Wright
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 19, 2006
                    Thanks for the suggestion guys.  Since I want to make it wireless, I'll end up needing to customize any unit that I find. I was considering the mail station because of the graphic LCD, but I may take a look at the Tandys and see if I can hack the LCD in one of those. I've not had much luck on the mailstation so far...

                    Eddy

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 20, 2006
                      --- "benjaminmaggi" <benjaminmaggi@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > I've carefully read all data on this board regarding
                      > LCD pinouts and the work flow approximations. (Message #38,
                      > and the .doc file)
                      > With this info and and some coffee i decided to hack
                      > the LCD module of one of my 2 mailstation DTE1,
                      > and hook it up to the parallel port of my PC.
                      > Of course i realized there's
                      > not enough data on this matter to proceed
                      > with this task (timings, and so on...), i know most of
                      > the documentation for this little baby is done by pure
                      > brute force hacking. :)

                      I would bet that the timing is not important, as long
                      as you don't try to go too fast, and I would guess that
                      the parallel port would not be able to go too fast for the LCD.

                      How are you gonna make the physical connection? That is probably
                      the hardest part. Oh, and you will need a latch or a counter,
                      since parallel port does not have enough bits to drive the LCD data,
                      address, and control signals directly.

                      But what I would recommend for controlling the LCD is the mailstations
                      CPU board. It has the right connector for the LCD ribbon cable,
                      and heck, it is even already plugged into it!

                      > Still i wonder if any one has reached some level of
                      > communications with the LCD ????

                      There is an example "Hello World" program in the files section,
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mailstation/files/Mailbug/mailbug_0.0.3/hello/

                      That hello world prog will work on the old or the newer mailstations.

                      There is a more complex example, with scrolling screen output and
                      keyboard input, but it is just for the older mailstations.

                      --CJ

                      > Any help will be very appreciated.
                      >
                      > Benjamin.

                    • Gary Clouse
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                        It might be easier to hack the base unit for a
                        mailstation 350 wireless to bypass the modem. As for
                        the tandy 100s and wp2 laptops, the serial ports are
                        not ttl compatible, but in the case of the model 100,
                        they have a system bus that is accessible.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Eddy Wright
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                          At this point, I'll probably scavenge the parts I need from a couple of sources including a keyboard from the mailstation or a Tandy (I have both) and make a custom case for it all.  I've built the unit around an Atmel AVR controller with a graphic LCD.  I was trying to avoid making a custom case but I think it will be easier to build the case than to try and connect to the existing LCD controller.

                          I'm not familiar enough with the processors in the mailstation or the Tandys to try and write a new application for them. It's easier for me to replace the main board with a microcontroller that I work with regularly.

                          Thanks for the suggestions!
                          Eddy

                          --- Eddy Wright <eddy@wrighthobbies. com> wrote:

                          > I'd love to replace the main board with one of my
                          > own. I'd have to build a
                          > driver for the LCD display or find a way to salvage
                          > the existing one.
                          >
                          > I want to build a custom wireless serial terminal
                          > and the mailstation is an
                          > excellent form factor for that.
                          >
                          > Eddy
                          > http://www.wrightho bbies.net
                          >

                          > _____

                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          http://mail. yahoo.com

                        • Cyrano Jones
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 22, 2006
                            --- Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...> wrote:

                            > It might be easier to hack the base unit for a
                            > mailstation 350 wireless to bypass the modem.

                            The modem is in the main unit.

                            The base unit is essentially a cordless phone base.
                            And the main unit has what amounts to the cordless
                            handset built in.

                            You would need another modem at the base end to recover
                            serial data.

                            --CJ
                          • wayne
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                              350 base unit also has an internal modem, as it has a telephone plug in to bypass
                              the wireless unit.

                              Wayne

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 23, 2006
                                --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "wayne" <waynem@...> wrote:

                                > 350 base unit also has an internal modem, as it has a telephone plug in to
                                > bypass  the wireless unit.

                                The modem is in the main unit.

                                The base unit:

                                rj14 on wall --- rj14 on base  --+-- cordless phone base --- antenna

                                desk phone --- rj14 on base  --+

                                The main unit:

                                CPU --- Modem --- cordless phone handset --- antenna