Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Paralell transfer system

Expand Messages
  • Franco Iacomella
    Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th print function of the device, trouht the
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my
      mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th "print" function of
      the device, trouht the parallerl port.

      I was wondering if exist another way to transfer data form de
      mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO
    • John R. Hogerhuis
      ... Why not just forward them to your desktop email address? -- John.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 02:38 +0000, Franco Iacomella wrote:
        > Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my
        > mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th "print" function of
        > the device, trouht the parallerl port.
        >
        > I was wondering if exist another way to transfer data form de
        > mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO
        >
        >

        Why not just forward them to your desktop email address?

        -- John.
      • Franco Iacomella
        ... Because I cant connect the device to download my mails yet. The ISP who provide the device in my country reserved for its own the configuration. So, I need
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@p...>
          wrote:
          > On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 02:38 +0000, Franco Iacomella wrote:
          > > Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my
          > > mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th "print" function of
          > > the device, trouht the parallerl port.
          > >
          > > I was wondering if exist another way to transfer data form de
          > > mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO
          > >
          > >
          >
          > Why not just forward them to your desktop email address?
          >
          > -- John.

          Because I cant connect the device to download my mails yet. The ISP
          who provide the device in my country reserved for its own the
          configuration. So, I need an email account of the same service. I read
          that is possible to hack this 'ISP protection' thing...so, can
          anybody help me?
          Greats, YACO
        • Anthony Albert
          ... Unfortunately, resetting the ISP configuration, if you have one of the Mailstations in which the setup is locked, currently requires a reset of the entire
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On 14 Sep 2005 at 15:19, Franco Iacomella wrote:
            >--- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@p...>
            >wrote:
            >> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 02:38 +0000, Franco Iacomella wrote:
            >> > Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my
            >> > mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th "print" function of
            >> > the device, trouht the parallerl port.
            >> >
            >> > I was wondering if exist another way to transfer data form de
            >> > mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO
            >> >
            >> >
            >>
            >> Why not just forward them to your desktop email address?
            >>
            >> -- John.
            >
            >Because I cant connect the device to download my mails yet. The ISP
            >who provide the device in my country reserved for its own the
            >configuration. So, I need an email account of the same service. I read
            >that is possible to hack this 'ISP protection' thing...so, can
            >anybody help me?
            > Greats, YACO

            Unfortunately, resetting the ISP configuration, if you have one of the
            Mailstations in which the setup is locked, currently requires a reset
            of the entire flash, erasing all of the email.

            There is a work-around, though, for not having an account. It is
            possible to set up a desktop computer (typically with Linux as the OS)
            with a modem to answer when you dial in, and to pretend to be the ISP's
            computer. It might be possible to set this up yourself, or to find a
            friend who can do this. I believe that there is further information on
            this in the archived messages.

            Hope this helps,
            Anthony Albert
            ===========================================================
            Anthony J. Albert albert@...
            Systems and Software Support Specialist Postmaster
            Computer Services - University of Maine, Presque Isle
            "This is only temporary, unless it works."
            --- Red Green
          • Franco Iacomella
            Finally I could connect my device to download my mails trought my ISP... but Im still loosing money in each call I have to make to cnnect it. The soultion
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Finally I could connect my device to download my mails trought my ISP...
              but Im still loosing money in each call I have to make to cnnect it.
              The soultion wouldbe a prallel conecction, almost in one direction: I
              want to download my mails dorm the mailstation to the PC, but not put
              data inside the mailstation from de PC...however, i still have to make
              a programme to do that :(

              The other solution is that you mention. But I think that I may need a
              winmodem to connect the device to the computer, and everyone knows the
              problems of GNU/Linux to support winmodems...If I could sort this
              problem i need to know what program I need to run on the computer so
              the mailstation belives its connected to a real ISP. It would be nice
              that someone write something about this "emulation" or give me some
              data to make it on my own. :D

              I hope someone help me, thanx!

              YACO

              > Unfortunately, resetting the ISP configuration, if you have one of the
              > Mailstations in which the setup is locked, currently requires a reset
              > of the entire flash, erasing all of the email.
              >
              > There is a work-around, though, for not having an account. It is
              > possible to set up a desktop computer (typically with Linux as the OS)
              > with a modem to answer when you dial in, and to pretend to be the ISP's
              > computer. It might be possible to set this up yourself, or to find a
              > friend who can do this. I believe that there is further information on
              > this in the archived messages.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Anthony Albert
              > ===========================================================
              > Anthony J. Albert albert@u...
              > Systems and Software Support Specialist Postmaster
              > Computer Services - University of Maine, Presque Isle
              > "This is only temporary, unless it works."
              > --- Red Green
            • John R. Hogerhuis
              ... Why would you need a winmodem? Actually, there are drivers for some winmodems for Linux machines. Some of these modems are interesting in that they can act
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:45 +0000, Franco Iacomella wrote:

                > The other solution is that you mention. But I think that I may need a
                > winmodem to connect the device to the computer, and everyone knows the
                > problems of GNU/Linux to support winmodems...If I could sort this
                > problem i need to know what program I need to run on the computer so
                > the mailstation belives its connected to a real ISP. It would be nice
                > that someone write something about this "emulation" or give me some
                > data to make it on my own. :D
                >
                > I hope someone help me, thanx!
                >
                > YACO
                >

                Why would you need a winmodem? Actually, there are drivers for some
                winmodems for Linux machines. Some of these modems are interesting in
                that they can act as an FXO allowing you to connect a Linux box running
                Asterisk to a regular phone line.

                This article gives some hope that you can just connect two modems
                together with a regular phone cable.

                http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.2/0560.html

                ATA on the host and let MS dial in.

                Unfortunately I just tried this with a MS150 and a rockwell external
                modem, no workey.

                Typed ATA in terminal on rockwell side, and hit Get Email on MS. I had
                to configure the mailstation to "ignore dial tone" but that just kept it
                from timing it out. No connection is established.

                Could it be configuration on modem side? Anyone have any ideas?

                -- John.
              • Gary Clouse
                Some modems are line-powered. They use the phone line to power the part of the modem circuitry. Connecting a cross-over phone cable between a line-powered
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  Some modems are line-powered. They use the phone line
                  to power the part of the modem circuitry. Connecting a
                  cross-over phone cable between a line-powered modem
                  and another modem, it won't work because the
                  line-powered modem won't have enough voltage to
                  operate. Line-powered modems are common in portable
                  devices and can be spotted by a REN (Ringer
                  Equivalency Number) of more than 0. Most phone
                  companies allow 2 REN. The phone lines use between 24
                  and 48 volts.


                  A winmodem on the other hand is an imcomplete modem
                  with most of the higher-level functions (like
                  compression and dialing ) handed off to a software
                  driver. Winmodems are cheaper to manufacture, and can
                  be upgraded by changing a driver. And the drivers are
                  buound by trade secret agreements with Microsoft which
                  give Microsoft dominion over who is allowed to use the
                  modem.
                  if you have 2 phone lines at home, you can run a bbs
                  program on you PC, call the pc from the ms on the
                  other line and should be able to quickly work out the
                  signon dialogue, and simulate it on the PC. Ther is a
                  simple free BBS program called AddBBS that is written
                  in perl. Also perl is available free of charge for
                  almost every OS in existance.

                  --- "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:45 +0000, Franco Iacomella
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > The other solution is that you mention. But I
                  > think that I may need a
                  > > winmodem to connect the device to the computer,
                  > and everyone knows the
                  > > problems of GNU/Linux to support winmodems...If I
                  > could sort this
                  > > problem i need to know what program I need to run
                  > on the computer so
                  > > the mailstation belives its connected to a real
                  > ISP. It would be nice
                  > > that someone write something about this
                  > "emulation" or give me some
                  > > data to make it on my own. :D
                  > >
                  > > I hope someone help me, thanx!
                  > >
                  > > YACO
                  > >
                  >
                  > Why would you need a winmodem? Actually, there are
                  > drivers for some
                  > winmodems for Linux machines. Some of these modems
                  > are interesting in
                  > that they can act as an FXO allowing you to connect
                  > a Linux box running
                  > Asterisk to a regular phone line.
                  >
                  > This article gives some hope that you can just
                  > connect two modems
                  > together with a regular phone cable.
                  >
                  >
                  http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.2/0560.html
                  >
                  > ATA on the host and let MS dial in.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately I just tried this with a MS150 and a
                  > rockwell external
                  > modem, no workey.
                  >
                  > Typed ATA in terminal on rockwell side, and hit Get
                  > Email on MS. I had
                  > to configure the mailstation to "ignore dial tone"
                  > but that just kept it
                  > from timing it out. No connection is established.
                  >
                  > Could it be configuration on modem side? Anyone have
                  > any ideas?
                  >
                  > -- John.
                  >
                  >


                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • david_zmk
                  You can use te regular phone line to power both modems leaving a phone unhanged and waiting for the dialtone to shut off, the Telco will leave the line powered
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    You can use te regular phone line to power both modems leaving a phone
                    unhanged and waiting for the dialtone to shut off, the Telco will
                    leave the line powered but silenced, without any soun activity.
                    I used this method to print from my PC directly to a regular fax
                    machine using MSFax bundled in Win 2000.

                    --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Some modems are line-powered. They use the phone line
                    > to power the part of the modem circuitry. Connecting a
                    > cross-over phone cable between a line-powered modem
                    > and another modem, it won't work because the
                    > line-powered modem won't have enough voltage to
                    > operate. Line-powered modems are common in portable
                    > devices and can be spotted by a REN (Ringer
                    > Equivalency Number) of more than 0. Most phone
                    > companies allow 2 REN. The phone lines use between 24
                    > and 48 volts.
                    >
                    >
                    > A winmodem on the other hand is an imcomplete modem
                    > with most of the higher-level functions (like
                    > compression and dialing ) handed off to a software
                    > driver. Winmodems are cheaper to manufacture, and can
                    > be upgraded by changing a driver. And the drivers are
                    > buound by trade secret agreements with Microsoft which
                    > give Microsoft dominion over who is allowed to use the
                    > modem.
                    > if you have 2 phone lines at home, you can run a bbs
                    > program on you PC, call the pc from the ms on the
                    > other line and should be able to quickly work out the
                    > signon dialogue, and simulate it on the PC. Ther is a
                    > simple free BBS program called AddBBS that is written
                    > in perl. Also perl is available free of charge for
                    > almost every OS in existance.
                    >
                    > --- "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:45 +0000, Franco Iacomella
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > The other solution is that you mention. But I
                    > > think that I may need a
                    > > > winmodem to connect the device to the computer,
                    > > and everyone knows the
                    > > > problems of GNU/Linux to support winmodems...If I
                    > > could sort this
                    > > > problem i need to know what program I need to run
                    > > on the computer so
                    > > > the mailstation belives its connected to a real
                    > > ISP. It would be nice
                    > > > that someone write something about this
                    > > "emulation" or give me some
                    > > > data to make it on my own. :D
                    > > >
                    > > > I hope someone help me, thanx!
                    > > >
                    > > > YACO
                    > > >
                    > >
                    > > Why would you need a winmodem? Actually, there are
                    > > drivers for some
                    > > winmodems for Linux machines. Some of these modems
                    > > are interesting in
                    > > that they can act as an FXO allowing you to connect
                    > > a Linux box running
                    > > Asterisk to a regular phone line.
                    > >
                    > > This article gives some hope that you can just
                    > > connect two modems
                    > > together with a regular phone cable.
                    > >
                    > >
                    > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.2/0560.html
                    > >
                    > > ATA on the host and let MS dial in.
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately I just tried this with a MS150 and a
                    > > rockwell external
                    > > modem, no workey.
                    > >
                    > > Typed ATA in terminal on rockwell side, and hit Get
                    > > Email on MS. I had
                    > > to configure the mailstation to "ignore dial tone"
                    > > but that just kept it
                    > > from timing it out. No connection is established.
                    > >
                    > > Could it be configuration on modem side? Anyone have
                    > > any ideas?
                    > >
                    > > -- John.
                    > >
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    > __________________________________________________
                    > Do You Yahoo!?
                    > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.