LCD Pinout

  • texasmason1984
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
      Does any one have a pinout for the LCD board?
    • Cyrano Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2004
        --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, "texasmason1984"
        <stonemason@c...> wrote:
        > Does any one have a pinout for the LCD board?

        This info is for the LCD in the white mailstation,
        I think it is the same in all models except 300 & 350.

        The display is 320 x 128 x 1, but it is really two 160 x 128
        displays side by side. Pins 7 & 10 select which half.

        Each half has 20 columns, each column is 8 pix wide, and 128 pix high.

        Data is written as if the lcd was a ram. First the column address is
        written to address #38 while the column reg is selected (pin 8 low).
        Then the pixel data for the 128 rows is written, one byte per row, to
        addresses #38 thru #B7 (while pin 8 is held high).

        My guess as to why the rows are numbered #38 thru #B7 is that
        the controller IC inside the LCD can address more than 128
        rows, and these were just the most convenient pins to use.

        IIRC, the first half is on the left, col 0 is on the right of
        each half, row #38 at the top, and d0 at the left of each byte,
        but you might want to check that.

        Contrast is controlled with a variable resistor (10k pot with
        wiper shorted to one end) from pin2 to GND.

        PINOUT
        1 GND
        2 contrast
        3 +5.2v
        4 +5v
        5 +5v
        6 display enable (or /disable if you prefer)
        7 /first half select
        8 /column register select
        9 /write
        10 /second half select
        11 A0
        12 A1
        13 A2
        14 A3
        15 A4
        16 A5
        17 A6
        18 A7
        19 D0
        20 D1
        21 D2
        22 D3
        23 D4
        24 D5
        25 D6
        26 D7
        27 GND
        28 GND

        It might not be obvious, but the connector on the main board is a zif.
        While it is not difficult to pull the cable out without opening,
        it is rather difficult to get it back in! :^)

        Just use two thumbnails on the ears at either end to pop it open.

        Disclaimer: I don't have data sheets, I used a meter, and looked at
        the code. Some of this is from memory, and any of it may be wrong.
        No animals were harmed in compiling this data.
        (But a few mailstations were.)

        Cyrano Jones