Re: [mailstation] Re: get mail on another device?

  • waynem@handypage.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
      If you are going to continue to use Earthlink as the "dial-up" Service
      provider, then you would have the following settings.

      1. For the connection for the ISP: (on Earthlink)

      The Dial-up telephone number;
      The Dial-up User Name;
      The Dial-up Password;
      The ISP DNS number;

      2. For the Actual Email Account: (on Earthlink)

      The Email User Name; (mom@...)
      The Email Password;
      The Email SMTP server; (smtp.mailstation.com)
      The Email POP3 server; (pop.mailstation.com)

      If you are going to be using DSL or Cable modem to get your ISP service,
      you would not need section 1.

      Section 2 is almost worldwide standard for all email client software, even
      such as Microsoft Express and Microsoft Outlook. The SMTP server uses Port
      25, and the POP3 server uses Port 110. If you are using another ISP for
      Section 1, make sure they are NOT blocking Port 25 on your connection with
      them, so you will be able to send out email. Most do block it to eliminate
      spam being sent out on their system, and to get you to use their email
      service.

      Hope this helps ?

      Wayne

      > Thank you *all* for the great advice. If I go ahead with this, Mom is very
      > attached to her email address, and doesn't want to give it up. Can anyone
      > tell me what the POP3 and SMTP server settings would be for her account?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Warren
      >
      > --- In mailstation@yahoogroups.com, waynem@... wrote:
      >>
      >> YES, Earthlink is no longer supporting the Mailstations. But they are
      >> NOT
      >> actively trying to close those accounts (that I am aware of). They will
      >> just NOT open a new mailstation account or can no longer swap
      >> mailstations
      >> on an account (if yours is broken). That is because the special
      >> mailstation server that they had setup is no longer running to be able
      >> do that.
      >>
      >> But you can use the Mailstation account just like any other Earthlink
      >> webmail account or dial-up email account. It uses the same SMTP and
      >> POP3
      >> protocols Gmail or others use.
      >>
      >> I do wish they would allow others to see the programming on the
      >> mailstation devices, so we could then keep existing accounts running,
      >> and
      >> install units on new accounts.
      >>

      >> Wayne
      >>

      >> > Then they should offer a dial up service that switches the devices
      >> over to
      >> > GMail!
      >> >
      >> > Neil
      >> >

      >> > From: musicalman77
      >> >

      >> > 2) Earthlink is aggressively trying to let MailStation die out; they
      >> will
      >> > not make any changes to accounts nor open new ones, and what little
      >> and
      >> > poor "support" is available is through CSRs in India or Pakistan

    • Jon Kirwan
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
        On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:29:34 -0000, musicalman77 wrote:

        > Oops! I forgot Jon already made something to do what I was
        > talking about. See messages #1000 & subsequent on the Group
        > Message Board.
        >
        > @Jon K.--- what's the status of that? I'd like to convert
        > Mom's old MailStation to the 'portable writing device' that
        > will export a text file to a PC via USB. Did you ever get
        > that all working, and how would I go about doing that, if
        > it's not too costly? I'm not technical, but have an EE
        > friend who might help if it's needed. You can e-mail me
        > directly if you want or post it in reply here for others to
        > benefit as well. Thanks!

        The project cost me less than $10 in actual supplies and the
        software works just fine. I've got the "little box" right
        here and I still use in on occasion to transfer files into
        the PC.

        It's a concept that worked out for my needs. But I'd love to
        consider other ideas that might improve or expand what it can
        do. And I'd be glad to work on the designs. I have a variety
        of mailstation units here, too. At least three different
        varieties, I think, including some CIDCOs. They all seem to
        work with my little box.

        Jon