PUBLICATION ANNOUNCEMENT - ARTISTAMPS by James W. Felter

  • Jas W Felter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2000
      AAA Editions is proud to announce the publication of James Warren
      Felter's book ARTISTAMPS / FRANCOBOLLI D'ARTISTA

      BACK COVER BLURB:

      James Warren Felter (New York, 1943) has created, researched and
      collected
      artistamps since 1973. He organized exhibitions in North America, Europe
      and
      Russia and is often a consultant and lender. Currently Director of the
      Jas
      Cyberspace Museum, Felter lives in West Vancouver, Canada with his wife
      and cat.

      Artistamps rebel against the monopoly of governmental emissions, giving
      life with satirical, playful or lyrical intents to an alternative
      philately
      dominated by the most unrestrained creativity. This volume reconstructs
      the
      history of the art form, from the work of pioneers Michael V. Hitrovo
      and Karl Schwesig
      to the conceptual experiments of Yves Klein and Fluxus artists, and the
      planetary diffusion through the open network of Mail Art with the
      multicoloured
      emissions of imaginary islands and virtual countries. The book is
      illustrated with
      hundreds of artistamps by more than fifty artists most representative of
      the field. Preface by Vittore Baroni, with special advice from Anna
      Banana.

      INDEX of the book:

      FOREWORD - The postage stamps's revolt (V. Baroni)

      GREAT ART MUST BE LICKED! - The artists, actions and events
      shaping a new movement in international art by Jas W Felter

      ALBUM LEAVES (portfolios and short essays): Anna Banana - On Artistamp
      News ;
      Fernand E.J. Barbot; Vittore Baroni; Guy Bleus - The thrill of
      collecting
      artistamps; Kenneth J. Bryson; buZ blurr; Gregory T. Byrd; Guglielmo A.
      Cavellini; Piermario Ciani; David Cole; Michael Hernandez De Luna;
      Marcello
      Diotallevi; Dogfish - Cinderella in Tui Tui; Dominique; Susan Dworski;
      Andries
      D. Eker; James W. Felter; Hans R. Fricker; Jorge Garnica; Bruce
      Grenville -
      Voyages to imaginary countries; Harley; Ed F. Higgins III - Small is
      big; Dennis
      J. Highberger; Michel Hosszú; Sandy Jackson; K. Frank Jensen; Joki;
      Eleanor
      Kent; Alexander Kholopov; Natalie Lamanova; Rene Montes; Clemente Padin;
      Franco
      Piri Focardi; Joel Smith; Steve Smith; Geir Sør-Reime; State of Being;
      Rod
      Summers - Artistamps from the computer; Michael Thompson; Ed Varney -
      The
      artistamp "anthology" sheet; Chuck Welch.

      CHRONOLOGY OF FIRST EDITIONS

      SELECTED EXHIBITIONS

      BIBLIOGRAPHY

      Other artists with at least one artistamp reproduced (in order of
      apparition):

      Mark Bloch, Dennis P. Jordan, Jeffrey Dixon, Peter W. Kaufmann, Tim
      Mancusi,
      Endre Tót, Gerard Barbot, King Alexander, Richard De Meester, Alan
      Brignull,
      Fabio Bruno, Leslie Caldera, Joel S. Cohen & Thomas Kerr, Weef, Joe
      Decie, T.
      Michael Bidner, Michael V. Hitrovo, Karl Schwesig, Ray Johnson, Robert
      M. Watts,
      George Maciunas, Donald Evans, Ken Friedman, Dana Atchley, Carl T. Chew,
      Patricia Tavenner, Edgardo-Antonio Vigo, Picasso Gaglione, Alyce
      Cornyn-Selby,
      Arturo Fallico, Pere Souza, Gregory Zbitnew, Dieter Rot, Sean A.
      Woodward, Willi
      K. Baum, György Galántai, Rose Avery, Robert Rehfeldt, Jürgen O.
      Olbrich,
      Geraldo Yepiz, Michael Leigh, Pawel Petasz, Robin Crozier, Rose Avery,
      Francis
      Hall, Luc Fierens… plus various collective "anthology sheets".

      How the book was born:

      After the publication in 1997 of my mail art guide (in Italian) Arte
      Postale for
      AAA Editions, the small publishing house I had founded two years earlier
      with my
      business partner Piermario Ciani, I started planning a follow up to that
      book,
      focussed on a single specific aspect of mail art. In Spring 1998 the
      notorious
      artistamp maker James W. Felter and his wife visited me in Viareggio,
      and we
      discussed the possibility of editing together a book on artistamps. In
      the
      following months the decision was taken to publish a book on the history
      of
      rubber stamp art first, as rubber stamps were easier to reproduce in
      black and
      white than artistamps, and John Held Jr. was able to provide very
      quickly an
      essay sketching the history of the genre. So in April 1999 L'arte del
      timbro/Rubber Stamp Art by Held appeared in a bilingual Italian/English
      edition,
      a structure that we used as a blueprint for the new book by Felter on
      artistamps
      (to appear just before Xmas 2000). In this way a sort of "trilogy" on
      mail art
      has been accomplished by AAA Editions, and we are quite happy with the
      results.
      Of course, there are several other subjects that could be profitably
      explored as
      further volumes in this series (postcards, experimental poetry,
      collages,
      stickers, etc.), but we are not sure that we really want to continue in
      this
      direction. As many of you might know, life for small publishers is not
      easy at
      all, and we feel we have done our bit documenting the mail art
      phenomenon. We
      hope that others will take up the challenge.

      MAIL ORDER

      James Warren Felter, ARTISTAMPS/FRANCOBOLLI D'ARTISTA (AAA Editions,
      December 2000), 216 pages, hundreds of illustrations, all texts in
      English/Italian: $ 17.00. Special introductory offer: buy three copies
      and get a
      fourth as a gift. Buyers of Felter's book by mail order will also
      receive
      as a free extra bonus a colour artistamps mini-sheet printed by AAA
      Editions in
      a limited edition of 250 copies (while supply last).

      ORDER DIRECTLY FROM:

      AAA Editions
      via C. Battisti 339
      55049 Viareggio, Italy.