Hi

  • Jade__Corset
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26 8:32 PM
      HI, I am new here as well as a beginner to this
      game. I acquired a mah jongg set (the rule books has a
      copyright of 1923) at a flea market. I am not sure if all
      the pieces are there plus there are a few things that
      came with it: a small black container with three small
      black discs with chinese characters on it, a small
      rectangluar box with a slide lid that contains four dice made
      either out of ivory or bone and sticks with dots on the
      ends that remind me of dominos, these too are made of
      either ivory or bone. The tiles themselves are made out
      of bamboo. There are several blank tiles, are they
      used for anything? Any info will be helpful, thanks.
    • jadedfury
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 1999
        I'm a wanna be player. I can't find where to buy the game. Can anyone steer me to a website that sells mahjongg. Thanks Tim
      • AuroraBora
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
          Hi Jade,<br><br>There is a website you can go see
          that will give you a good indication on what type of
          game set you purchased at the flea market. It will
          also show you how to determine if you have a full set
          or not. They have color pictures on the website as
          well to aide you in figuring out exactly what you have
          purchased. <br>I've added the website which is titled Mah
          Jongg Cyber Museum on this clubs "Links"
          page.<br><br>There is also a link that I added for others wishing to
          find distributors of Mah Jongg sets. You can find a
          number of distributors by stopping by the web site
          titled The Maj Exchange. That link is also provided in
          the member's "Links" section of this
          club.<br><br>Does anyone here (lurking or otherwise) play by the
          National League standards for the game? <br><br>Happy
          Playing,<br>Bora
        • AuroraBora
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
            Hi Tim,<br><br>If you would like to buy a
            relatively inexpensive set, you can often find them at game
            stores at your local mall. (Not the electronic game
            stores, the board game stores where Chess games are
            sold)<br><br>If you are looking for a more expensive or antique
            set, or simply want to learn how to distinguish
            between a valuable and inexpensive sets, you might
            consider checking out the Mah Jongg Cyber Museum or The
            Maj Exchange on the net. I have added both those
            links to this club's "Links" page. The Maj Exchange
            also has a links page which will direct you to
            distributors of Mah Jongg game sets and replacement pieces.
          • SoloFenris
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26, 1999
              Hi, my name is Jeff. I am 24 and have been
              playing Mahj for about six months now. I play mostly
              Japanese rules but Chinese standard is no problem either.
              For those of you interested in a twist, download the
              demo of Isle of Four Winds: Rune War. You can get it
              on download.com You can play standard Mahj or pick
              one of nine wizards and compete for territories. The
              tiles in your hand dictate what type of spells you can
              cast and the monsters you can release on the other
              players. Winning a hand of Mahj is what builds up your
              spell power also. I really like it and I encourage you
              to check it out.
            • Kim_C_25
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 1999
                Hi all...I am learning this game and I was wondering about the "Chow" buttons. They have it set 3 ways: Chow**; *Chow*; and **Chow.<br><br>What is the difference? Thanks.