Mah Jongg Wall

  • RIFamily
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for Mah Jongg Wall community.
    • RIFamily
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 1999
      • Jade__Corset
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 1999
          HI, I am new here as well as a beginner to this
          game. I acquired a mah jongg set (the rule books has a
          copyright of 1923) at a flea market. I am not sure if all
          the pieces are there plus there are a few things that
          came with it: a small black container with three small
          black discs with chinese characters on it, a small
          rectangluar box with a slide lid that contains four dice made
          either out of ivory or bone and sticks with dots on the
          ends that remind me of dominos, these too are made of
          either ivory or bone. The tiles themselves are made out
          of bamboo. There are several blank tiles, are they
          used for anything? Any info will be helpful, thanks.
        • jadedfury
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 1999
            I'm a wanna be player. I can't find where to buy the game. Can anyone steer me to a website that sells mahjongg. Thanks Tim
          • AuroraBora
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
              Hi Jade,<br><br>There is a website you can go see
              that will give you a good indication on what type of
              game set you purchased at the flea market. It will
              also show you how to determine if you have a full set
              or not. They have color pictures on the website as
              well to aide you in figuring out exactly what you have
              purchased. <br>I've added the website which is titled Mah
              Jongg Cyber Museum on this clubs "Links"
              page.<br><br>There is also a link that I added for others wishing to
              find distributors of Mah Jongg sets. You can find a
              number of distributors by stopping by the web site
              titled The Maj Exchange. That link is also provided in
              the member's "Links" section of this
              club.<br><br>Does anyone here (lurking or otherwise) play by the
              National League standards for the game? <br><br>Happy
              Playing,<br>Bora
            • AuroraBora
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
                Hi Tim,<br><br>If you would like to buy a
                relatively inexpensive set, you can often find them at game
                stores at your local mall. (Not the electronic game
                stores, the board game stores where Chess games are
                sold)<br><br>If you are looking for a more expensive or antique
                set, or simply want to learn how to distinguish
                between a valuable and inexpensive sets, you might
                consider checking out the Mah Jongg Cyber Museum or The
                Maj Exchange on the net. I have added both those
                links to this club's "Links" page. The Maj Exchange
                also has a links page which will direct you to
                distributors of Mah Jongg game sets and replacement pieces.
              • SoloFenris
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 26, 1999
                  Hi, my name is Jeff. I am 24 and have been
                  playing Mahj for about six months now. I play mostly
                  Japanese rules but Chinese standard is no problem either.
                  For those of you interested in a twist, download the
                  demo of Isle of Four Winds: Rune War. You can get it
                  on download.com You can play standard Mahj or pick
                  one of nine wizards and compete for territories. The
                  tiles in your hand dictate what type of spells you can
                  cast and the monsters you can release on the other
                  players. Winning a hand of Mahj is what builds up your
                  spell power also. I really like it and I encourage you
                  to check it out.
                • Kim_C_25
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 12, 1999
                    Hi all...I am learning this game and I was wondering about the "Chow" buttons. They have it set 3 ways: Chow**; *Chow*; and **Chow.<br><br>What is the difference? Thanks.