Color changer utility?

    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2001
      Hi all,

      Last weeks I received several messages from persons looking for a utility,
      that let them change the colors on their screen. For example some of them
      want to invert colors on web pages or in their word processor.
      I know, that in most applications you can define your own prefered colors,
      but in most applications this also effects the print colors.
      What these people want is invert colors or set to black and white with a
      press of a hotkey. Such features is included in most professional screen
      magnifiers, but these people do not need any magnification.

      If you have any suggestion for such a utility please post it on the list.

      Regards Peter Verhoeven
    • Bert Ebbe
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2001
        Hello Peter (and others)
        I am SURE that you are aware of the accessibility features in Windows. Since
        Windows 95 you can activate these features and use LEFT ALT + LEFT SHIFT +
        PRINT SCREEN to "toggle" between (for instance) the standard Windows color
        scheme and High Contrast Black. This works in most applications and (with
        certain settings) also on most WebPages in Internet Explorer. So, I don't
        see why you should need a separate utility to do this? Or am I missing
        something?
        Greetings from Apeldoorn,
        Bert Ebbe
        Het Loo Erf

        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2001
          Hi Bert,

          Thanks for remembering me about the hight contrast mode. This mode works on
          a lot of application, but also NOT in a lot of applications. For example it
          does not work well in Netscape. The people asking me for a color changer
          also want to see the color of images changed. Personaly I should prefer a
          utility with a lot of flexibility, that let you select the objects you want
          to change the colors for. But I shall suggest the high contrast mode to
          those people. Maybe they never gave it a try.

          Regards Peter Verhoeven

          At 10:37 30-05-01 +0200, you wrote:
          >Hello Peter (and others)
          >I am SURE that you are aware of the accessibility features in Windows. Since
          >Windows 95 you can activate these features and use LEFT ALT + LEFT SHIFT +
          >PRINT SCREEN to "toggle" between (for instance) the standard Windows color
          >scheme and High Contrast Black. This works in most applications and (with
          >certain settings) also on most WebPages in Internet Explorer. So, I don't
          >see why you should need a separate utility to do this? Or am I missing
          >something?
          >Greetings from Apeldoorn,
          >Bert Ebbe
          >Het Loo Erf

        • Michael Wigle
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2001
            Have they considered going into the Control Panel and in the Display
            Settings changed the colors in the Appearance section? You can change the
            background or foreground color of any part of the screen such as the main
            window, the desktop, or even the title bars. I don't know if this is what
            you are looking for but sometimes I will alter these colors for a person who
            prefers uncommon color combinations. It is actually more flexible than what
            magnifiers do because you can alter individual characteristics of the major
            sections of the screen. If you need more detailed directions I can help you
            out but try it out and see if that's what you are looking for.

            Michael Wigle
            Computer Access Technician
            Cincinnati Association for the Blind

            Last weeks I received several messages from persons looking for a utility,
            that let them change the colors on their screen. For example some of them
            want to invert colors on web pages or in their word processor.
            I know, that in most applications you can define your own prefered colors,
            but in most applications this also effects the print colors.
            What these people want is invert colors or set to black and white with a
            press of a hotkey. Such features is included in most professional screen
            magnifiers, but these people do not need any magnification.

            If you have any suggestion for such a utility please post it on the list.

          • Aquarius Server Administrator (DeepSpace)
            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2001
              Peter,

              I myself do not use magnifiers myself. But I prefer to use "invert
              colors" for my apps. Like Netscape with its default colors to respect
              the webpages since if I change to black background then, the webpage
              would go blank on my screen! So, I'd like this as suggestion!

              John

              Peter Verhoeven wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Last weeks I received several messages from persons looking for a
              > utility,
              > that let them change the colors on their screen. For example some of
              > them
              > want to invert colors on web pages or in their word processor.
              > I know, that in most applications you can define your own prefered
              > colors,
              > but in most applications this also effects the print colors.
              > What these people want is invert colors or set to black and white with
              > press of a hotkey. Such features is included in most professional
              > screen
              > magnifiers, but these people do not need any magnification.
              >
              > If you have any suggestion for such a utility please post it on the
              > list.
              >
              > Regards Peter Verhoeven
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              []

              John Cunniff
              Server Administrator
              Aquarius.deepspace.org

              E-Mail: mailto:johnc44@... or mailto:johncunniff@... or
              mailto:JCunn27611@... or mailto:johnc@...
              or mailto:johnc@...
              AIM: JCunn27611
              ICQ: 53861506
              FAX: 520-563-6157

            • Aquarius Server Administrator (DeepSpace)
              Message 6 of 10 , May 30, 2001
                Hey, I tried LEFT ALT + LEFT SHIFT + PRTSC (Print Screen) but it did NOT
                do anything on my Win ME.

                Please let me know what else I need to do about it. Thank you.

                John

                Bert Ebbe wrote:

                > Hello Peter (and others)
                > I am SURE that you are aware of the accessibility features in Windows.
                > Since
                > Windows 95 you can activate these features and use LEFT ALT + LEFT
                > SHIFT +
                > PRINT SCREEN to "toggle" between (for instance) the standard Windows
                > color
                > scheme and High Contrast Black. This works in most applications and
                > (with
                > certain settings) also on most WebPages in Internet Explorer. So, I
                > don't
                > see why you should need a separate utility to do this? Or am I missing
                >
                > something?
                > Greetings from Apeldoorn,
                > Bert Ebbe
                > Het Loo Erf

                []

                John Cunniff
                Server Administrator
                Aquarius.deepspace.org

                E-Mail: mailto:johnc44@... or mailto:johncunniff@... or
                mailto:JCunn27611@... or mailto:johnc@...
                or mailto:johnc@...
                AIM: JCunn27611
                ICQ: 53861506
                FAX: 520-563-6157

              • Leslie P Peterson
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2001
                  John,

                  Go to START > SETUP > ACCESSABILITY
                  Tab on DISPLAY
                  Enable USE HIGH CONTRAST

                  Good Luck!

                  Leslie--

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 31, 2001
                    Hello John,
                    Indeed, like Leslie Peterson wrote: you will have to activate this
                    particular accessibility feature first. It's a bit difficult for me to guide
                    you on this, because I am using a Dutch version of Windows and I am not sure
                    about the English names of buttons and menu items, but I'll try anyway:
                    Via Start button, Settings, Configuration, go to Accessibility.
                    You will get a dialog box with 5 tabs. Select: Display (the one in the
                    middle in my version). You will find a button "Settings" on the right side.
                    Click on it. In the dialog you get then select the box called "Use hotkey"
                    (or something like that). In the lower part of the same dialog box you can
                    choose between "White on black", "Black on white" or "Adjustable" (User
                    defined perhaps?). When you select the last one a pull down menu becomes
                    accessible that allows you to choose one of the color schemes defined in
                    Windows. That may also be a scheme you made yourself via "Display
                    Properties". Select for instance "High contrast black" here. Click on OK and
                    leave the Accessibility program. Now you should be able to "toggle" between
                    two color schemes, probably Windows Standard and High contrast black.
                    There are some other settings in the Accessibility program you might want to
                    change. Standard is that you have to confirm the hotkey for alternative
                    colors with OK. You can omit that. Also standard is that Windows "drops
                    back" to the standard color scheme after 5 minutes "idle" (not in use). You
                    can switch this of too.
                    Hope to have been of assistance.
                    Greetings, Bert

                    Bert Ebbe wrote:

                    > Hello Peter (and others)
                    > I am SURE that you are aware of the accessibility features in Windows.
                    > Since
                    > Windows 95 you can activate these features and use LEFT ALT + LEFT
                    > SHIFT +
                    > PRINT SCREEN to "toggle" between (for instance) the standard Windows
                    > color
                    > scheme and High Contrast Black. This works in most applications and
                    > (with
                    > certain settings) also on most WebPages in Internet Explorer. So, I
                    > don't
                    > see why you should need a separate utility to do this? Or am I missing
                    >
                    > something?
                    > Greetings from Apeldoorn,
                    > Bert Ebbe
                    > Het Loo Erf

                    []

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 31, 2001
                      You need to go into Settings->Control Panel->Accessibility Options. Then
                      click on the Display tab and click on Settings. There will be a check box to
                      turn on the keyboard shortcut of Left Shift Key and Print Screen. It will
                      work after that.

                      Bert Ebbe wrote:

                      > Hello Peter (and others)
                      > I am SURE that you are aware of the accessibility features in Windows.
                      > Since
                      > Windows 95 you can activate these features and use LEFT ALT + LEFT
                      > SHIFT +
                      > PRINT SCREEN to "toggle" between (for instance) the standard Windows
                      > color
                      > scheme and High Contrast Black. This works in most applications and
                      > (with
                      > certain settings) also on most WebPages in Internet Explorer. So, I
                      > don't
                      > see why you should need a separate utility to do this? Or am I missing
                      >
                      > something?
                      > Greetings from Apeldoorn,
                      > Bert Ebbe
                      > Het Loo Erf

                      []

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 31, 2001
                        Michael,

                        OH GOT IT! Thanks very much -- Willl test it out later. :)

                        Johnc
                        New Network Administrator
                        Aquarius.deepspace.org

                        [www.debticated.com]