VideoTelescope?

  • Bogdan pospielovsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
      Hey do any of you anything about the VisAble
      VideoTelescope. i stumbled across it just as I
      stumbled across you guys. my girlfriend just been
      diagnosed with rp.

      The info off their web page
      (http://www.betacom.com/optic/telescope.html). do you
      think this might help? Does anybody know anything
      about this company, Betacom? Is there something else
      out there like this she should check out?

      cheers

      VisAble VideoTelescope� is a hand-held portable video
      vision aid. In the VVT300� for the first time ever,
      the high magnification, wide field of view and
      contrast enhancement of video reading stations
      (CCTV�s) is available in one hand-held versatile aid.

      All this power in such a discreet package means you
      can use video for so much more than just reading: scan
      an intersection, spot the correct bus, recognize a
      friend, examine a cash register receipt, find a
      dropped object on the floor, pick out the right
      product on a store shelf, read a menu in a dim
      restaurant � hundreds of tasks that make up your day.

      The VisAble VideoTelescope� will not return sight.
      However for some individuals with vision loss it may
      make a significant positive impact on how effectively
      they are able to manage their vision loss.

      The VVT300� is designed to redress common dimensions
      of impairment such as reduced visual acuity, reduced
      contrast sensitivity, reduced scotopic function, and
      glare sensitivity.

      These are common features of many ocular conditions,
      making the VVT300� a useful tool for many different
      pathological conditions including macular
      degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma,
      cataract, retinitis pigmentosa, achromatopisia,
      albinism, and optic atrophy.

      Betacom Corporation developed the VisAble
      VideoTelescope� based upon extensive clinical research
      undertaken at Johns Hopkins University � Wilmer Eye
      Institute, theUniversity of Waterloo - Centre for
      Sight Enhancement and the Ontario Rehabilitation
      Technology Consortium (ORTC).

      The VisAble VideoTelescope is tentatively scheduled
      for release for April 2001

      Please send us your name, address, telephone number
      and how you heard of the VVTT and we would be happy to
      send you additional information.

      We will be sending invitations to information sessions
      across Canada where you will be able to evaluate the
      VisAble VideoTelescopeT and decide if it is right for
      you. If you are writing from somewhere other than
      Canada, we should have distributors in most major
      cities in the US by early summer, and throughout
      Europe soon afterwards.

      Send us your name, address and phone number and we
      will be happy to send you print information about the
      VVTT and, as soon as possible, let you know where you
      can try it out.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • keates william
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi

        I have tried several auto focus systems at exhinitions
        and they are very good....but very expensive.

        Yhe best i tried were called jordy in uk ans were
        circa usd 4000 equicalent and these weihted app 400
        hramms and used virtual reality spectacles like the
        ones pc games players use tied into cctvs (closed
        circuit television cameras) for each eye built in and
        a zoom control and auto focis based, as in manmy
        cameras, on maximum contrast with override where the
        object to be viewed defeats the auto system.

        These systems will drop in price, and virtual reality
        spectacles are now down to app 900 usd here for those
        people who would wear them to play games or watch the
        equivalent of a 60 inch screen,

        The new item you referred tyo looks simply like a
        video camera without the tape, and as such might be
        very inexpensive...indeed as such cameras with taping
        facilities ate now sub 500 usd this might well be in
        that region. We must wait and see. Being a poor man
        with diabetic retinopathy i simply use a gallilaen
        telescope with fixed 10 times (100 areas)
        magnification that can focus from about 10 inches to
        infinity, but of course that being simply optical and
        thus unable to increase light input or change contrast
        is of limited use. However, in the brightest
        supermarkets I can read prices on dome larger print at
        a foot or so, and can, for examples, see that the
        vehicle 20 yards away is probably a bus and not a car
        or lorry, although i can see the number sometimes even
        when a few feet away. I am sure such a device
        mentioned,
        which is similar in principl;e but with amplyfying
        properties for light and the ability to change colour
        balance and contrast would be of great use to those
        with macular and retinopapthy, but with rp and
        glaucoma for example, as these diseases progress, the
        field of view narrowing is their greatest problem. i
        have thus often thought that a device similar to the
        "add on" wide angle converters which were place in
        front of cheaper than interchangable lens silgle lens
        reflex cameras would in fact be best. These would
        undoutably make the image quality worse, as visual
        acuity would drop, but field of vision would increase
        and onece one was accustomed to the lens ones mobility
        would be increased with the bumping into others and
        objects reduced because they would be retuned to the
        persons field of view.
        It would be intersting to have the views of a
        consultant opthomologist and optomotrist, although i
        have sometimes been surprised at their lack of
        knowlege in many cases of the theory of optics and the
        problems of depth of field and depth of focus many eye
        conditions promote.

      • Yolanda Phelan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
          Aloha!
          Yes I would like more information regarding the
          Video telescope.

          I help head a support group for the blind at Kaiser Honolulu and would love
          to share this information with them I am also a member of the National
          Federation of The Blind and would love to share with them as well.

          please mail to me:
          Landa Phelan
          438 Kaumoo Street #301
          Honolulu Hawaii 96815