ZoomText Xtra 7.05.02 released

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 3:28 AM
      Dear list members,

      AiSquared has released version 7.05.02 of ZoomText Xtra.
      I advice Windows 95 ZoomText users who want to upgrade to reboot their
      computer without starting ZoomText before running the upgrade file. If you
      are running the upgrade file during or after ZoomText was launched you can
      get problems with menu tracking.

      GTW: If ZoomText is running well now on your system, there is no reason to
      upgrade.
      Most bugs fixes have to do with DocReader in Windows 2000.

      As you can read in the upgrade notes below by default ZoomText Xtra no
      longer uses VRAM Memory allocation by default. Disabling VRAM memory
      alocation causes sluggish mouse movement and a flickering mouse on my new
      system.
      BTW: the upgrade file does not change your VRAM setting, but the question
      remains if it is a good idea from AiSquared to change the default setting.
      I think not!

      You can upgrade to version 7.05.02 for free if you are a licensed user of
      ZoomText Xtra 7.x.

      Below are the release notes of version 7.05.01 and version 7.05.02.

      Regards Peter Verhoeven

      Version 7.05.02
      Release Date: February 16, 2001
      3D Cursors in Windows 2000
      In Windows 2000, ZoomText was displaying improper cursor color for cursors
      in the 3D cursor scheme (or other cursors that use shading). This problem
      has been fixed.
      ZoomText and BigShot
      ZoomText now prevents itself from running if BigShot Screen Magnifier is
      currently running on your system. To run ZoomText, simply exit BigShot and
      launch ZoomText again.
      Color Filtering and DocReader
      In Windows 2000, when using DocReader with Color Filtering enabled,
      DocReader was not properly displaying text and screen corruption was
      occurring when exiting DocReader. Both of these problems have been fixed.
      DocReader Toolbar with Large Fonts
      When using a large system font ("large" or "extra large" schemes in
      Appearance tab of Display Properties) the DocReader toolbar could become
      partially hidden. This problem has been fixed.
      Downloadable Update Product Matching
      The downloadable update program will now display an error message if the
      installed ZoomText software does not match the update program. For
      instance, if the ZoomText Xtra Level 1 update program is run but ZoomText
      Xtra Level 2 is installed on the system a message is displayed suggesting
      that the user download and run the ZoomText Xtra Level 2 update program.
      Downloadable Update Administrative Rights
      The downloadable update program will now check for administrative rights on
      Windows 2000 and Windows NT systems. Before, if the user logged on did not
      have administrative rights the update program would display an error
      message indicating that ZoomText was not properly installed.
      Version 7.05.01
      Release Date: January 29, 2001
      User Configurations on a Network
      Site license versions of ZoomText now support "floating" user
      configurations. ZoomText automatically stores configurations on the network
      server, allowing users to access their configuration files from any
      workstation on the network. Each workstation running ZoomText still
      requires that the program be installed on it, but the configuration files
      are automatically associated with the user, based on their logon name.
      Network administrators installing site license versions of ZoomText should
      contact Ai Squared for complete details.
      Starting ZoomText Minimized
      A "Start ZoomText Minimized" checkbox has been added to the Advanced
      Options dialog box. If this option is checked, the ZoomText user interface
      will be minimized whenever the program is started. Clicking on the ZoomText
      button in the Windows taskbar will restore the ZoomText user interface.
      Remember to save the ZoomText configuration when changing the state of this
      checkbox.
      VRAM Memory Allocation
      The VRAM Memory Allocation checkbox in the Profiler dialog is no longer
      checked by default. With the vast majority of display drivers, VRAM memory
      allocation is no longer needed, due to a new technique in ZoomText that
      yields much better display adapter compatibility. In addition, ZoomText now
      starts up faster without the VRAM allocation.
    • ecq
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 11:26 AM
        I'm wondering how people deal with reading *.pdf documents. I've never
        had to before--so don't know any methods. I need to be able to use a
        Doc Reader-type application to read any significant amount of text. I
        just started a new job where the train relies almost exclusively on online
        *.pdf Acrobat documents.
        Does anyone know how to read these?
        The only accessiblity software I have right now is ZoomText 7.0 running on
        a Windows NT machine.

        Thanks!
        ecq
      • Haverp@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 12:07 PM
          In a message dated 3/2/01 2:28:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, ecq@...
          writes:

          << 'm wondering how people deal with reading *.pdf documents. I've never
          had to before--so don't know any methods. >>

          If you have the free access plug in to adobe acrobat sometimes docreader will
          work. There is also a program available for $100 that converts PDF files to
          speech with some magnification features called Biolink document reader. I am
          in the process of experimenting with a demo of biolink, and have not yet
          figured it out completely, but it does read PDF files pretty well.

          Greg