Re: [magnifiers] Screen Magnifiers on a network

  • Martin Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2001
      Hello Peter

      I'm sure it was my e-mail regarding the magnifiers site your that your
      refering to in your recent question. I'm afraid I can't personally provide
      much detail on Lunar on the network, however, my company ICT Director has
      sent me an e-mail, which I have pasted below. I'm afraid much of this is
      beyond me technically but you'll understand the terminology I'm sure.

      Martin Taylor

      Martin as discussed I have listed below some of the reasons we picked
      Dolphin�s Lunar product for the Network and the installation involved as you
      requested, if you would like to attach this to your posting on the
      discussion group mentioned I have no problems whatsoever. It has also been
      approved by Fiona O�Shea in personnel, I would only comment that perhaps we
      should ask Dolphin to publicise the services we offer as an exchange or ask
      them to discount the cost for Nick Tarbuck in Glasgow!

      We looked at three criteria for the magnification software, these were

      � Stability, would the network be safe with the software.

      � Network functionality, did the product truly follow your profile and save
      portable changes regardless of the users location on the network. (As you
      know we need to be flexible on seating locations)

      � Functionality of the software did it work with Billyware and the in-house
      database. (The reason this is third we presumed both the products we tested
      would have similar functionality)

      Lunar met all the criteria 100%, but we did incur a problem with the other
      product, which for obvious reasons I would prefer not to list. As you know
      we purchased the software with a maintenance agreement from the manufacturer
      after a test loading from a demonstration disk.

      With Lunar we found the server is only acting as a file repository, thus it
      is just storing files to be accessed from a workstation. The installation
      directory/folder of Lunar must be a shared area, which you have rights of
      access to, from any workstation you may log onto.

      Installing the Windows NT/2000 version, on the server is a piece of cake, we
      did however, need to load the DOLCFGNT.EXE file into each workstation with
      local administration rights for NT. This seems to be a software interceptor
      between the PC and the monitor, which rather cleverly works with NT�s
      security.

      To make sure the start-up for specific users on all/any workstation then a
      shortcut to LUNARNT.EXE can be found in the network installation directory
      folder. Alternatively a shortcut on the Windows desktop for individual
      users could be created and a short cut key assigned to it.

      Lastly configuring users� personal settings. The network version of Lunar
      allows each user to keep their own preferred personal settings along with a
      default group of settings for all users; the default settings can be updated
      globally from the installation location. Consequently we set�up a personal
      settings directory for you, which follows your profile.

      Sarah Bannister
      ICT Director

      >From: Peter Verhoeven <pav@...>
      >To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [magnifiers] Screen Magnifiers on a network
      >Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:03:40 +0100
      >
      >Dear list members,
      >
      >Last week somebody on this list posted a message about a network
      >installation of Lunar. You can login on your network account on any
      >computer in the company and get your magnification.
      >I heard that this is also possible with MAGic, but I could not find any
      >information on the Henter-Joyce web site about it. Can somebody tell more
      >about network installations of screen magnifiers? I once tried this with
      >ZoomText, but it did not work.
      >
      >Regards Peter Verhoeven

    • Shawn Warren
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2001
        Peter,

        bottom), network support will be included in ZoomText Xtra version 7.06.
        This support is limited to site license versions of ZoomText.

        With the network support users will be able to log on to any networked
        workstation and configurations associated with the user that is logged on
        will be used automatically.

        This support has already been added and tested. The 7.06 release is
        currently pending a particular bug fix.

        Feel free to email me specific questions.

        Regards,

        Shawn Warren
        Ai Squared
        P.O. Box 669