ZX7: Alt-arrow movement

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 1:08 PM
      Hello world,

      I have a question about the Alt-arrow feature of ZX7 in full zoom mode:
      If I press Alt-arrow to scroll across my screen it takes some time before ZX7 accelerates to the speed I demand and if I press Alt-arrow in the opposite direction to scroll backwards it slows down to zero before it starts accelerating backwards.

      How do I configure ZX7 that it scrolls at a constant speed from the moment I press Alt-arrow untill I release Alt?

      Thanks in advance,
      Bas

      --
      Bas E. Cancrinus		<bas@...>
      Product Manager RepTrack (TM)	<http://www.reptrack.nl>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2 12:08 AM
        Hi Bas,

        It is impossible to set a default speed for manual scroll (alt + arrow
        keys) in ZoomTexxt.
        I already did some suggestions to AiSquared to improve the manual scroll to
        set speed default for the manual scroll. I have also some more suggestions
        like:

        - Make it possible to click on hyperlink during scrolling;
        - Set horizontal and vertical line targets to make possible to only scroll
        in a prefered area of the screen.
        In my opinion this should be helpfull to improve accesssibility to web
        pages on the Internet. A lot of web sites include a lot of areas with
        different functionality. The text that you realy want to read mostly is in
        specific area on the screen. Now the only thing you can do is pressing ALT
        + right arrow hold the right arrow key until you have enough speed and wait
        until the text started. At the end of the line I always press ALT + numpad7
        to jump at the beginning of the line. Then I press alt + arrow down to
        scroll to the next line of text and again press ALT + right arrow to start
        reading the next line of text. If the text is not at the left of my screen,
        but in the center I must skip a lot of information I'm not want to read. I
        know I have some alternatives like using the mouse or highlighting text and
        using DocReader, but in my opinion using the mouse to much in a high
        magnification is for ergonomic reasons not recommended.
        DocReader can not read tables column by column and I only use it to read
        large documents. While in DocReader mode you can not click on links or
        quickly fill out form or whatever. The possibility to set horizontal and
        vertical line markers or borders should also be a solution for DocReader.

        Other suggestions for developers of screen magnifiers (all companies are
        "listening" to this list):

        - Full support of Java accessibility classes;
        - More advanced color filtering;
        I see a growing number of web pages, that have text images instead of ASCI
        text. These images often have a very bad contrast. I want to activate a
        color filtering tool and change the a specific color in another color.

        - The option to read table row by row or column by column. MAGic 8 is the
        only screen magnifier that read tables column by column at this moment.
        This is very helpful to read web pages on the Internet.
        - Track on highlighted text.
        I often use the Edit -> Find option in applications to find a string on a
        page, but after doing that I spend minutes sometimes to find the
        highlighted text. There is no screen magnifier tracking on that.

        If others on this list have more suggestions for screen magnifier
        improvement, please post them here!

        Regards Peter Verhoeven

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 9:54 AM
          Peter Verhoeven wrote:

          > - Make it possible to click on hyperlink during scrolling;
          > - Set horizontal and vertical line targets to make possible to only scroll
          > in a prefered area of the screen.
          > In my opinion this should be helpfull to improve accesssibility to web
          > pages on the Internet. A lot of web sites include a lot of areas with
          > different functionality. The text that you realy want to read mostly is in
          > specific area on the screen. Now the only thing you can do is pressing ALT

          I totally agree with that. These features would be very helpful. But on
          the other hand they require a lot of effort to realize. The possibility
          to set a fixed scrolling speed for manual scrolling doesn't require much
          effort to realize and it would solve most of the problems in the current
          situation.

          > know I have some alternatives like using the mouse or highlighting text and
          > using DocReader, but in my opinion using the mouse to much in a high
          > magnification is for ergonomic reasons not recommended.

          I've just bought a graphical tablet (Dynalink TABU; EUR 100 in local
          store) and now I can scroll around my screen easily, but I still need
          manual scrolling when I use my keyboard. A tablet is a must-have for
          full zoom mode users (and it doesn't cause RSI!).

          > - Full support of Java accessibility classes;

          If a product supports Java I order it immediately.

          > - More advanced color filtering;
          > I see a growing number of web pages, that have text images instead of ASCI
          > text. These images often have a very bad contrast. I want to activate a
          > color filtering tool and change the a specific color in another color.

          That problem increases every minute and I doubt that better color
          filters will help a lot. It can't fight the real problem: poorly
          developed web sites. I'm afraid that we will depend more and more on
          alt-texts...

          Regards,
          Bas