Re: Firefox & Windows 7 with ZoomText 9...

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
      A follow-up...

      I have a good news for you! i just downloaded Firefox last Suynday and to my pleasantly surprised that the fonts got much clearer in ZoomText 9.19 in Windows 7. It has improved a lot since the old cversion didn't do much better but now, it is much better.

      I am happy to see that doing much better now.

      Johnny :)

      --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I have exactly the same experience, and it is a little frustrating as I
      > have to use Internet Explorer rather than Firefox of Chrome, both of which
      > are better browsers but the text display is very fuzzy.
      >
      > Is there a solution?
      >
      > Thanks, Matthew.
      >
      > On 26 December 2012 17:59, John Cunniff wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hello, there!!
      > >
      > > I have a question for you. I am running Zoomtext 9.19 with Windows 7 on my
      > > laptop for a year now. I love this system so much. I am also using MS
      > > Outlook and Word with no problem. My favorite browser is Firefox. I keep it
      > > up-to-date with 17.0.2, I think. Well, when I launched Firefox, I can see
      > > the images & text that comes up looks a little bit blurriness. I wonder, is
      > > there a way that I can fix it in Firefox to make the image & text into
      > > sharper view while I magnify into ZoomText?
      > >
      > > Let me know.
      > >
      > > Thank you very much!
      > >
      > > Johnny :)

    • Barbara Milleville
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hello,

        I'm running ZoomText 9.19 on a Win XP laptop. I have been getting more and
        more lockups while the screen saver is running and also when actively using
        programs. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? If so, have you
        found a fix for it? I have contacted ZT tech support and they have changed
        settings in the screen saver, taken some items out of MSConfig Start and
        added ZT to the AVG 2013 Free Version exception list. Dell tech support is
        telling me I need to do an XP reinstall which I'd like to avoid..especially
        since if the issue is related to ZT, this may not fix the issue. Of course,
        Dell doesn't know much about ZT. BTW, it's really nice to have a larger
        monitor when techies want to remote in.they are not big fans of
        magnification.

        Also, my plan was to upgrade to Win 8 and ZT after Win 8 has more bugs
        worked out and ZT and Win 8 are compatible. But if the lockup issue cannot
        be resolved, I won't be able to wait this long and will have to rely on the
        Win 8 built-in screen mag to use a computer. Does anyone have Win 8 and use
        the built-in screen magnifier? If so, can you share some specifics about
        how it works and its limitations? For a short time, I could get by with
        just using the screen magnifier and not speech. I spoke to someone in the
        Microsoft accessibility department about this. He is fully sighted and has
        not used the built-in program much but said that the full screen mag will
        only magnify things 1.5x which is pretty useless. An acquaintance who has
        low vision and uses ZT had use of a Win 8 machine for a short time and said
        that she tried the built-in magnifier and was able to enlarge at 8x and said
        it goes up to 16x. So, I'm not sure why Microsoft said it can't go above
        1.5x. Perhaps we are talking about different things. I am concerned with
        the built-in mag which magnifies the full screen and not the hand magnifier.
        Can anyone please help sort this out?

        FYI, Microsoft now has a dedicated albeit small staff which handles
        questions about this sort of thing. They have 2 folks on their team who are
        totally blind and they told the rep I spoke with that Narrator, the built-in
        screen reader in Win 8 is not ready to be used independently by those who
        are totally dependent on speech. I had been hearing that Microsoft had made
        these 2 built-in tools much better in Win 8 and so it was disappointing to
        hear this news. But they didn't rush me off the phone and were very open to
        suggestions on how to improve things. I gave them about 10 things to work
        on and said to not wait until Win 9 is ready to roll them out. Very soon,
        they will have their own direct telephone line but for now, you can call
        800-642-7676. I'm not sure if this number works outside of the U.S. I
        encourage you to call and also tell them about the importance of having good
        accessibility tools built into the operating system like Apple does. IMHO,
        this won't replace my ZT software but would be great to have in a pinch (see
        above) and when using a non-visually impaired person's computer.

        Thanks for any assistance you can provide me with the two issues noted
        above.

        Barbara