Firefox & Windows 7 with ZoomText 9...

  • John Cunniff
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2012
      Hello, there!!

      I have a question for you. I am running Zoomtext 9.19 with Windows 7 on my
      laptop for a year now. I love this system so much. I am also using MS
      Outlook and Word with no problem. My favorite browser is Firefox. I keep it
      up-to-date with 17.0.2, I think. Well, when I launched Firefox, I can see
      the images & text that comes up looks a little bit blurriness. I wonder, is
      there a way that I can fix it in Firefox to make the image & text into
      sharper view while I magnify into ZoomText?

      Let me know.

      Thank you very much!

      Johnny :)
    • Matthew Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2013
        Hi

        I have exactly the same experience, and it is a little frustrating as I
        have to use Internet Explorer rather than Firefox of Chrome, both of which
        are better browsers but the text display is very fuzzy.

        Is there a solution?

        Thanks, Matthew.

        On 26 December 2012 17:59, John Cunniff <johncunniff@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello, there!!
        >
        > I have a question for you. I am running Zoomtext 9.19 with Windows 7 on my
        > laptop for a year now. I love this system so much. I am also using MS
        > Outlook and Word with no problem. My favorite browser is Firefox. I keep it
        > up-to-date with 17.0.2, I think. Well, when I launched Firefox, I can see
        > the images & text that comes up looks a little bit blurriness. I wonder, is
        > there a way that I can fix it in Firefox to make the image & text into
        > sharper view while I magnify into ZoomText?
        >
        > Let me know.
        >
        > Thank you very much!
        >
        > Johnny :)

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
          A follow-up...

          I have a good news for you! i just downloaded Firefox last Suynday and to my pleasantly surprised that the fonts got much clearer in ZoomText 9.19 in Windows 7. It has improved a lot since the old cversion didn't do much better but now, it is much better.

          I am happy to see that doing much better now.

          Johnny :)

          --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I have exactly the same experience, and it is a little frustrating as I
          > have to use Internet Explorer rather than Firefox of Chrome, both of which
          > are better browsers but the text display is very fuzzy.
          >
          > Is there a solution?
          >
          > Thanks, Matthew.
          >
          > On 26 December 2012 17:59, John Cunniff wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello, there!!
          > >
          > > I have a question for you. I am running Zoomtext 9.19 with Windows 7 on my
          > > laptop for a year now. I love this system so much. I am also using MS
          > > Outlook and Word with no problem. My favorite browser is Firefox. I keep it
          > > up-to-date with 17.0.2, I think. Well, when I launched Firefox, I can see
          > > the images & text that comes up looks a little bit blurriness. I wonder, is
          > > there a way that I can fix it in Firefox to make the image & text into
          > > sharper view while I magnify into ZoomText?
          > >
          > > Let me know.
          > >
          > > Thank you very much!
          > >
          > > Johnny :)

        • Barbara Milleville
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
            Hello,

            I'm running ZoomText 9.19 on a Win XP laptop. I have been getting more and
            more lockups while the screen saver is running and also when actively using
            programs. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? If so, have you
            found a fix for it? I have contacted ZT tech support and they have changed
            settings in the screen saver, taken some items out of MSConfig Start and
            added ZT to the AVG 2013 Free Version exception list. Dell tech support is
            telling me I need to do an XP reinstall which I'd like to avoid..especially
            since if the issue is related to ZT, this may not fix the issue. Of course,
            Dell doesn't know much about ZT. BTW, it's really nice to have a larger
            monitor when techies want to remote in.they are not big fans of
            magnification.

            Also, my plan was to upgrade to Win 8 and ZT after Win 8 has more bugs
            worked out and ZT and Win 8 are compatible. But if the lockup issue cannot
            be resolved, I won't be able to wait this long and will have to rely on the
            Win 8 built-in screen mag to use a computer. Does anyone have Win 8 and use
            the built-in screen magnifier? If so, can you share some specifics about
            how it works and its limitations? For a short time, I could get by with
            just using the screen magnifier and not speech. I spoke to someone in the
            Microsoft accessibility department about this. He is fully sighted and has
            not used the built-in program much but said that the full screen mag will
            only magnify things 1.5x which is pretty useless. An acquaintance who has
            low vision and uses ZT had use of a Win 8 machine for a short time and said
            that she tried the built-in magnifier and was able to enlarge at 8x and said
            it goes up to 16x. So, I'm not sure why Microsoft said it can't go above
            1.5x. Perhaps we are talking about different things. I am concerned with
            the built-in mag which magnifies the full screen and not the hand magnifier.
            Can anyone please help sort this out?

            FYI, Microsoft now has a dedicated albeit small staff which handles
            questions about this sort of thing. They have 2 folks on their team who are
            totally blind and they told the rep I spoke with that Narrator, the built-in
            screen reader in Win 8 is not ready to be used independently by those who
            are totally dependent on speech. I had been hearing that Microsoft had made
            these 2 built-in tools much better in Win 8 and so it was disappointing to
            hear this news. But they didn't rush me off the phone and were very open to
            suggestions on how to improve things. I gave them about 10 things to work
            on and said to not wait until Win 9 is ready to roll them out. Very soon,
            they will have their own direct telephone line but for now, you can call
            800-642-7676. I'm not sure if this number works outside of the U.S. I
            encourage you to call and also tell them about the importance of having good
            accessibility tools built into the operating system like Apple does. IMHO,
            this won't replace my ZT software but would be great to have in a pinch (see
            above) and when using a non-visually impaired person's computer.

            Thanks for any assistance you can provide me with the two issues noted
            above.

            Barbara