ZoomText 9.1 locked out...

  • John Cunniff
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2012
      Hello, All!

      My friend told me that she visited my other friend who is low vision, a low
      vision friend experienced a computer problem. My sighted friend came over to
      help her. Found out that ZoomText might be causing Windows 7 to be in "Safe
      Mode" after it keeps popping up requesting her to upgrade from ZoomText 9.1
      to 10. A sighted friend told her needs to upgrade to ZoomText 10. I myself
      use ZoomText 9.19 on both laptop & desktop. Windows XP & 7. No lockouts for
      both platoforms. So, I tried to click "Don't inform me..." and it worked
      fine so, no more bugging me. I think that my l/w friend didn't click on
      "Don't inform me again..." Oh well. Unfortunately, my copy of ZoomText is a
      state-funded copy. I consulted with my Deaf-Blind Unit supervisor and am
      waiting for them to approve a fund for me to receive ZoomText 10 copy later.
      During this time, they're quite busy with a severe Budget Cuts for FY'13, I
      believe.

      Anyone of you experience with ZoomText "Lockout" from running ZoomText 9.1
      after the first pop-up message informed you of "ZoomText 10 is available!"?

      Thank you.

      Johnny :)
    • Leonardo Costa Coscarelli
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2012
        Johny,

        I noticed warning message telling about new version too but I had no problem
        with it, just like you.

        I use Zoomtext 9.19 with Windows 7 64 bits.

        I remark that the first two or three times I accounted this warning message
        in my screen, I was in a hurry and did not check box “Don’t inform me
        again.” So I was shown this dialog box sometimes before I disabled it.
        Despites it did not cause bugs or instability in my computer.

        Your friend’s report sounds really strange.

        By the way, I have not tested Zoomtext 10 in my computer yet. Do you folks
        have a opinion about how it performs in comparison with Zoomtext 9.19? I
        don’t mean about new features. My question is: did you find Zoomtext 10
        faster or more stable than Zoomtext 9.1?

        Greetings,

        Leo

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2012
          I have been running Zoom Text 10 since I bought this computer in December of
          last year and have no problems at all with it. It is very stable indeed.
          Tony

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2012
            I just spoke with our support team on this issue. They have zero reports of this happening across the entire worldwide user base running ZT 9.1.

            Please feel free to contact our support team directly if you experience something like this - but our assumption is that there is no problem.

            Thanks

            Doug

            Ai Squared

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2012
              Leo,

              I agree with you about my friend's computer is sooo strange in a way that
              ZoomText became inability of feature in ZoomText 9.19.

              Leo, I use ZoomText 10 at work only. My workplace had to upgrade from
              ZoomText 9.1 to 10 during the server maintenance on February 12th. Before
              that my interpreter had to install ZoomText 10 per the guy from IT
              Department's instruction. I tried ZoomText, it seems almost the same as
              ZoomText 9.19. Not much is different, but some improvement in cursor
              tracking on Firefox.

              Honestly, I haven't used all other application at work. I only use Firefox,
              Outlook 2003, but not much. I have been crazily busy therefore, I don't have
              the time!

              Johnny :)