Re: [magnifiers] FULL SCREEN ANDROID APP MAGNIFIERS

  • Karey Carbaugh
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
      Hi Barbara,

      I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week.  One has an iPad 1 and one has an iPad 2.  Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom, except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the icons).  This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well.  I don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K.  Also, the iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the ones used to switch between phone, text and such.  Otherwise, I was reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.

      Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring.  I don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap.  That would be quite nice on the iPad!  I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I have a laptop.  I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2 brothers with theirs this week.  If I find that I use the iPhone more than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad.  If nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on e comes out in the Spring.

      Thanks again for the comments.

      Thank you,
      Have a Great Day!

      Karey Carbaugh

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
        Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.

        Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
        Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
        http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
        http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
        Twitter @lpnalda

      • Rui Cruz
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011

          My Android 2.3 dosn't have that option.
          However I see this option on other phones with Android.

          Do you know in what version that tool was added?

          *Rui Cruz*
          Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
          Telem: +351 96 827 1502
          www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>

          On 12/31/2011 6:36 PM, Pete Nalda wrote:

          > Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just
          > using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.
          >
          > Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
          > Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
          > http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
          > http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
          > http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
          > Twitter @lpnalda
          >
          > Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
          > <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          >
          > Hi Barbara,
          >
          > I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week. One has an iPad 1
          > and one has an iPad 2. Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom,
          > except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they
          > don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the
          > icons). This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well. I
          > don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least
          > for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K. Also, the
          > iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the
          > ones used to switch between phone, text and such. Otherwise, I was
          > reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked
          > at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.
          >
          > Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring. I
          > don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I
          > wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap. That
          > would be quite nice on the iPad! I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone
          > (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I
          > have a laptop. I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2
          > brothers with theirs this week. If I find that I use the iPhone more
          > than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad. If
          > nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on
          > e comes out in the Spring.
          >
          > Thanks again for the comments.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Have a Great Day!
          >
          > Karey Carbaugh

        • Karey Carbaugh
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
            Thanks Pete,

            Yes, I'm using the Zoom feature under Settings, Accessibility.  As I mentioned, it does pretty well, on the iPhone, except for the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom of the screen, and does not enlargge the text under the icons on the main desktop, but otherwise, it seems to enlarge everything.  I've only looked at it in the store and on my family members' phones and iPad, but it seems pretty good.  The iPad did seem to enlarge the text under the icons as well, and didn't have the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom which were not enlarged.  The only issue I saw on both is that when you scroll down to see the keyboard, you can't see what you're typing on the screen if you're on a website.  It seems to display OK kn text messages on the phone.

            For the most part, I'm fairly impressed.  Its also unfortunate that you cannot use BOTH the Voice over feature and Zoom at the same time, but that does not work.

            Thank you,
            Have a Great Day!

            Karey Carbaugh