Re: [magnifiers] FULL SCREEN ANDROID APP MAGNIFIERS

  • Jasper Ebels
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
      Hey Barbara,

      I don't have an iPad myself, but i have used the iPads of my friends and the magnification magnifies the entire screen. Its the same way on the iPhone.

      For those interested, I am working on a youtube video in whitch I demonstrate the iPhones accesibility options. It will be ready soon. I could do the same fot the iPad.

      Happy new year all!

      Regards,

      Jasper Ebels

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Karey Carbaugh
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
        Hi Barbara,

        I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week.  One has an iPad 1 and one has an iPad 2.  Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom, except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the icons).  This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well.  I don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K.  Also, the iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the ones used to switch between phone, text and such.  Otherwise, I was reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.

        Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring.  I don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap.  That would be quite nice on the iPad!  I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I have a laptop.  I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2 brothers with theirs this week.  If I find that I use the iPhone more than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad.  If nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on e comes out in the Spring.

        Thanks again for the comments.

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

        ________________________________

        I'm typing this mesage om my new iPhone 4s and its accessibility works for
        me. I'm interested which phone you will be getting.

        Cheers, Bas

        Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

        Op 28 dec. 2011 om 00:12 heeft Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
        <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com> > het volgende geschreven:

        > I dare say that Rui's suggestion of using a browser with Zoom capabilities
        is perhaps a solution for some, but I would have a hard time getting into
        the browser to open the Zoom capabilities. For those with reasonably good
        vision, this might be worth considering, but from what I've seen and read, I
        agree with Jasper that the iPhone seems to be by far the better device from
        an accessibility stand. I don't have either myself, but have been
        considering one of these and have been waiting until the accessibility was
        there. I'm not sure that either device is 100% there yet, but unfortunately
        my phone fell out of my belt clip case last week and it was in the middle of
        crossing a street. I didn't realize it for about half a block, and when I
        went back I could only retrieve pieces of my old phone. So, I may be making
        a decision sooner than I might otherwise. I am therefore very interested in
        this topic.

        > I'm also wondering about an iPad and how accessible the iPad is?
        >
        > I was QUITE impressed with the new iPhone 4S and the Seris (not sure that
        is spelled right) application which will litterally let you speak to the
        phone and it will litterally read back to you. It very impressively reads
        e-mails and text messages. I don't think it will "read" the internet to you,
        but at least for texts and e-mails, I was quite impressed.

        > As someone who worked for IBM for 17 years, I never thought I'd be even
        thinking about an Apple product, but I've now been away from IBM for nearly
        10 years and it may now be time to move into the "rest of the world".

        > Thank you,
        > Have a Great Day!
        >
        > Karey Carbaugh
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Pete Nalda
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
          Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.

          Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
          Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
          http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
          http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
          Twitter @lpnalda

        • Rui Cruz
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011

            My Android 2.3 dosn't have that option.
            However I see this option on other phones with Android.

            Do you know in what version that tool was added?

            *Rui Cruz*
            Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
            Telem: +351 96 827 1502
            www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>

            On 12/31/2011 6:36 PM, Pete Nalda wrote:

            > Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just
            > using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.
            >
            > Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
            > Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
            > http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
            > http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
            > http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
            > Twitter @lpnalda
            >
            > Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
            > <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Barbara,
            >
            > I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week. One has an iPad 1
            > and one has an iPad 2. Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom,
            > except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they
            > don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the
            > icons). This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well. I
            > don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least
            > for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K. Also, the
            > iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the
            > ones used to switch between phone, text and such. Otherwise, I was
            > reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked
            > at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.
            >
            > Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring. I
            > don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I
            > wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap. That
            > would be quite nice on the iPad! I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone
            > (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I
            > have a laptop. I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2
            > brothers with theirs this week. If I find that I use the iPhone more
            > than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad. If
            > nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on
            > e comes out in the Spring.
            >
            > Thanks again for the comments.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Have a Great Day!
            >
            > Karey Carbaugh

          • Karey Carbaugh
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
              Thanks Pete,

              Yes, I'm using the Zoom feature under Settings, Accessibility.  As I mentioned, it does pretty well, on the iPhone, except for the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom of the screen, and does not enlargge the text under the icons on the main desktop, but otherwise, it seems to enlarge everything.  I've only looked at it in the store and on my family members' phones and iPad, but it seems pretty good.  The iPad did seem to enlarge the text under the icons as well, and didn't have the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom which were not enlarged.  The only issue I saw on both is that when you scroll down to see the keyboard, you can't see what you're typing on the screen if you're on a website.  It seems to display OK kn text messages on the phone.

              For the most part, I'm fairly impressed.  Its also unfortunate that you cannot use BOTH the Voice over feature and Zoom at the same time, but that does not work.

              Thank you,
              Have a Great Day!

              Karey Carbaugh