Re: [magnifiers] FULL SCREEN ANDROID APP MAGNIFIERS

  • Rui Cruz
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 23, 2011

      I found this app a few hours ago:
      https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.twothreetwo.ZoomPlus

      I'm going to try it tomorrow, however if you are in a hurry, you can try
      it yourself and send feedback to the list. :)

      *Rui Cruz*
      Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
      Telem: +351 96 827 1502
      www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>

      On 12/22/2011 10:17 AM, Rui Cruz wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > This is not a responce, just one more interested users.
      >
      > I ask this one month ago and didn't recive any feedback.
      > My solution for Facebook and websites is to use the Opera Mini browser
      > and then magnify the screen when I'm at m.facebook.com.
      > Is not a solution, but it's better than nothig, don't you think? :)
      >

      > *Rui Cruz*
      > Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
      > Telem: +351 96 827 1502
      > www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>
      >

      > On 12/22/2011 4:16 AM, mehjo49 wrote:
      >>
      >> My apologies since I am new to Android World!
      >> I have been trying to locate a full screen android app for magnifying
      >> and/or zoom.
      >> Ex: Facebook is one of the sites that will not allow me to zoom using
      >> my Droid 3.
      >> I am certain there is an app out there, but I am unfamiliar with the
      >> 'jargon'.
      >> If anyone can direct me to one, I would be quite thanful.

    • Karey Carbaugh
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 27, 2011
        I dare say that Rui's suggestion of using a browser with Zoom capabilities is perhaps a solution for some, but I would have a hard time getting into the browser to open the Zoom capabilities.  For those with reasonably good vision, this might be worth considering, but from what I've seen and read, I agree with Jasper that the iPhone seems to be by far the better device from an accessibility stand.  I don't have either myself, but have been considering one of these and have been waiting until the accessibility was there.  I'm not sure that either device is 100% there yet, but unfortunately my phone fell out of my belt clip case last week and it was in the middle of crossing a street.  I didn't realize it for about half a block, and when I went back I could only retrieve pieces of my old phone.  So, I may be making a decision sooner than I might otherwise.  I am therefore very interested in this topic.

        I'm also wondering about an iPad and how accessible the iPad is?

        I was QUITE impressed with the new iPhone 4S and the Seris (not sure that is spelled right) application which will litterally let you speak to the phone and it will litterally read back to you.  It very impressively reads e-mails and text messages.  I don't think it will "read" the internet to you, but at least for texts and e-mails, I was quite impressed.

        As someone who worked for IBM for 17 years, I never thought I'd be even thinking about an Apple product, but I've now been away from IBM for nearly 10 years and it may now be time to move into the "rest of the world".

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 28, 2011
          I'm typing this mesage om my new iPhone 4s and its accessibility works for me. I'm interested which phone you will be getting.

          Cheers, Bas

          Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

          Op 28 dec. 2011 om 00:12 heeft Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...> het volgende geschreven:

          > I dare say that Rui's suggestion of using a browser with Zoom capabilities is perhaps a solution for some, but I would have a hard time getting into the browser to open the Zoom capabilities. For those with reasonably good vision, this might be worth considering, but from what I've seen and read, I agree with Jasper that the iPhone seems to be by far the better device from an accessibility stand. I don't have either myself, but have been considering one of these and have been waiting until the accessibility was there. I'm not sure that either device is 100% there yet, but unfortunately my phone fell out of my belt clip case last week and it was in the middle of crossing a street. I didn't realize it for about half a block, and when I went back I could only retrieve pieces of my old phone. So, I may be making a decision sooner than I might otherwise. I am therefore very interested in this topic.
          >
          > I'm also wondering about an iPad and how accessible the iPad is?
          >
          > I was QUITE impressed with the new iPhone 4S and the Seris (not sure that is spelled right) application which will litterally let you speak to the phone and it will litterally read back to you. It very impressively reads e-mails and text messages. I don't think it will "read" the internet to you, but at least for texts and e-mails, I was quite impressed.
          >
          > As someone who worked for IBM for 17 years, I never thought I'd be even thinking about an Apple product, but I've now been away from IBM for nearly 10 years and it may now be time to move into the "rest of the world".
          >

          > Thank you,
          > Have a Great Day!
          >
          > Karey Carbaugh
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Karey Carbaugh
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 28, 2011
            Hi Bas,

            I'm glad to hear that the 4S works well for you.  This is the one I've been considering.  I've also looked at the 3GS (for $0.99) and the 4 (for $99) as well as the 4S (for $199).  I was more impressed with the Zoom function on the 3GS and 4S than on the 4.  The 4 did not seem to be as large as the 3GSand the 4S.  The other nice feature on the 4S is the SIRI application which lets you talk to the phone and it will litterally talk back.  This can be used to read texts and e-mails etc.  So, if I can decide to spend the $199 for the phone, I will probably get the 4S.

            I've also been looking at my brother's iPad and am pretty impressed with the Zoom function and the Speak Highlighting which will speak highlighted text, but this would require some vision to be able to use.  I wish the iPad had a phone built in, but it might be a little bulky to use as a phone all the time.  The screen being larger does seem to make the print bigger though.  So, I'm also considering an iPad as well.  I may start with an iPhone and see if I really think I need the bigger screen with SIRI.

            Just my thoughts.  I'll be anxious ot hear how you like your iPhone after you've had it a while.  Are you using the SIRI dictation to type e-mails?

            Thank you,
            Have a Great Day!

            Karey Carbaugh

            ________________________________
            I'm typing this mesage om my new iPhone 4s and its accessibility works for me. I'm interested which phone you will be getting.

            Cheers, Bas

            Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

            Op 28 dec. 2011 om 00:12 heeft Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...> het volgende geschreven:

            > I dare say that Rui's suggestion of using a browser with Zoom capabilities is perhaps a solution for some, but I would have a hard time getting into the browser to open the Zoom capabilities. For those with reasonably good vision, this might be worth considering, but from what I've seen and read, I agree with Jasper that the iPhone seems to be by far the better device from an accessibility stand. I don't have either myself, but have been considering one of these and have been waiting until the accessibility was there. I'm not sure that either device is 100% there yet, but unfortunately my phone fell out of my belt clip case last week and it was in the middle of crossing a street. I didn't realize it for about half a block, and when I went back I could only retrieve pieces of my old phone. So, I may be making a decision sooner than I might otherwise. I am therefore very interested in this topic.
            >
            > I'm also wondering about an iPad and how accessible the iPad is?
            >
            > I was QUITE impressed with the new iPhone 4S and the Seris (not sure that is spelled right) application which will litterally let you speak to the phone and it will litterally read back to you. It very impressively reads e-mails and text messages. I don't think it will "read" the internet to you, but at least for texts and e-mails, I was quite impressed.
            >
            > As someone who worked for IBM for 17 years, I never thought I'd be even thinking about an Apple product, but I've now been away from IBM for nearly 10 years and it may now be time to move into the "rest of the world".
            >

            > Thank you,
            > Have a Great Day!
            >
            > Karey Carbaugh
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Barbara Milleville
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2011
              Hi Karey,

              Sorry about your phone accident. I'm considering an iPad to go with my dumb
              phone. You might want to consider waiting until the spring when the new
              iPad version is supposed to be released. The rumor is that among other
              things, it'll have a Retina screen which will likely be easier on the eyes.
              I'm not sure if the built-in magnifier enlarges the whole iPad screen or
              just most of it. Does anyone know the answer to this? I do know that for
              the iPad2, you can't use the magnifier and speech at the same time. And the
              magnifier goes up to 5x. So, it's best to try before you buy especially if
              you plan to use your vision.

              Barbara

              _____

              I'm typing this mesage om my new iPhone 4s and its accessibility works for
              me. I'm interested which phone you will be getting.

              Cheers, Bas

              Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

              Op 28 dec. 2011 om 00:12 heeft Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
              <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com> > het volgende geschreven:

            • Jasper Ebels
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
                Hey Barbara,

                I don't have an iPad myself, but i have used the iPads of my friends and the magnification magnifies the entire screen. Its the same way on the iPhone.

                For those interested, I am working on a youtube video in whitch I demonstrate the iPhones accesibility options. It will be ready soon. I could do the same fot the iPad.

                Happy new year all!

                Regards,

                Jasper Ebels

                Sent from my iPhone

              • Karey Carbaugh
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
                  Hi Barbara,

                  I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week.  One has an iPad 1 and one has an iPad 2.  Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom, except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the icons).  This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well.  I don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K.  Also, the iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the ones used to switch between phone, text and such.  Otherwise, I was reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.

                  Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring.  I don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap.  That would be quite nice on the iPad!  I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I have a laptop.  I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2 brothers with theirs this week.  If I find that I use the iPhone more than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad.  If nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on e comes out in the Spring.

                  Thanks again for the comments.

                  Thank you,
                  Have a Great Day!

                  Karey Carbaugh

                  ________________________________

                  I'm typing this mesage om my new iPhone 4s and its accessibility works for
                  me. I'm interested which phone you will be getting.

                  Cheers, Bas

                  Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

                  Op 28 dec. 2011 om 00:12 heeft Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
                  <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com> > het volgende geschreven:

                  > I dare say that Rui's suggestion of using a browser with Zoom capabilities
                  is perhaps a solution for some, but I would have a hard time getting into
                  the browser to open the Zoom capabilities. For those with reasonably good
                  vision, this might be worth considering, but from what I've seen and read, I
                  agree with Jasper that the iPhone seems to be by far the better device from
                  an accessibility stand. I don't have either myself, but have been
                  considering one of these and have been waiting until the accessibility was
                  there. I'm not sure that either device is 100% there yet, but unfortunately
                  my phone fell out of my belt clip case last week and it was in the middle of
                  crossing a street. I didn't realize it for about half a block, and when I
                  went back I could only retrieve pieces of my old phone. So, I may be making
                  a decision sooner than I might otherwise. I am therefore very interested in
                  this topic.

                  > I'm also wondering about an iPad and how accessible the iPad is?
                  >
                  > I was QUITE impressed with the new iPhone 4S and the Seris (not sure that
                  is spelled right) application which will litterally let you speak to the
                  phone and it will litterally read back to you. It very impressively reads
                  e-mails and text messages. I don't think it will "read" the internet to you,
                  but at least for texts and e-mails, I was quite impressed.

                  > As someone who worked for IBM for 17 years, I never thought I'd be even
                  thinking about an Apple product, but I've now been away from IBM for nearly
                  10 years and it may now be time to move into the "rest of the world".

                  > Thank you,
                  > Have a Great Day!
                  >
                  > Karey Carbaugh
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Pete Nalda
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
                    Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.

                    Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
                    Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
                    http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
                    http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
                    Twitter @lpnalda

                  • Rui Cruz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011

                      My Android 2.3 dosn't have that option.
                      However I see this option on other phones with Android.

                      Do you know in what version that tool was added?

                      On 12/31/2011 6:36 PM, Pete Nalda wrote:

                      > Are you using the zoom feature in settings>accessibility? Or you just
                      > using stretch zooming? The zoom in accessibility will enlarge everything.
                      >
                      > Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'Day, Mates)
                      > Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
                      > http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda/
                      > http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda/
                      > http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
                      > Twitter @lpnalda
                      >
                      > Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...
                      > <mailto:kareycarbaugh%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                      >
                      > Hi Barbara,
                      >
                      > I looked at both of my brothers' iPads this week. One has an iPad 1
                      > and one has an iPad 2. Both seem to do reasonably well with the Zoom,
                      > except that while they magnify the icons on the main screen, they
                      > don't magnify the text under the icons (the descriptions of the
                      > icons). This seems to also be the case with the iPhone as well. I
                      > don't know that I would want to surf the web on an iPad, but at least
                      > for basic look-up functions and such, they might work K. Also, the
                      > iPhone does not enlarge the icons at the bottom of the screen, the
                      > ones used to switch between phone, text and such. Otherwise, I was
                      > reasonably impressed with both the iPhone and iPads that I've looked
                      > at, both family members' and at the AT&T store.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the heads-up about the new iPad coming out in the Spring. I
                      > don't know that the Retina screen would be that big of a deal, but I
                      > wonder if they will have some version of the iPhone SIRI ap. That
                      > would be quite nice on the iPad! I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone
                      > (probably the 4S with the SIRI) and holding off on an iPad since I
                      > have a laptop. I hadn't really considered an iPad until seeing my 2
                      > brothers with theirs this week. If I find that I use the iPhone more
                      > than I think I will, then it might be worth considering an iPad. If
                      > nothing ese, the price on the iPad 2 will likely drop when the new on
                      > e comes out in the Spring.
                      >
                      > Thanks again for the comments.
                      >
                      > Thank you,
                      > Have a Great Day!
                      >
                      > Karey Carbaugh

                    • Karey Carbaugh
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2011
                        Thanks Pete,

                        Yes, I'm using the Zoom feature under Settings, Accessibility.  As I mentioned, it does pretty well, on the iPhone, except for the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom of the screen, and does not enlargge the text under the icons on the main desktop, but otherwise, it seems to enlarge everything.  I've only looked at it in the store and on my family members' phones and iPad, but it seems pretty good.  The iPad did seem to enlarge the text under the icons as well, and didn't have the 3 or 4 icons at the bottom which were not enlarged.  The only issue I saw on both is that when you scroll down to see the keyboard, you can't see what you're typing on the screen if you're on a website.  It seems to display OK kn text messages on the phone.

                        For the most part, I'm fairly impressed.  Its also unfortunate that you cannot use BOTH the Voice over feature and Zoom at the same time, but that does not work.

                        Thank you,
                        Have a Great Day!

                        Karey Carbaugh