mac laptop screen magnifier

  • weekslauren
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hello
      I am new to this group so just starting to search the archives. I recently bought an Apple laptop excited about converting to be a MAc person after getting an IPHONE however I was/am disappointed in their screen magnifier built into the system. I have always used ZoomText and feel the magnifier on the apple makes the text blurry and not easy to read for long periods of time.

      Does anyone else have an Apple laptop and what do they use for screen magnification? Is there a software made for Apple products I was sad to learn Zoom Text is not for Apple, I wonder why not?

      Just curious other people's experience with the Apple laptops and if I made a terrible decision to convert (as I write this on my PC while my Apple collects dusts!)
      Thanks
      Lauren
    • Pete Nalda
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
        It's probably the font smoothing you don't like. I'm away from mine ATM, but in the zoom options there should be a checkbox to uncheck. As to why no ZoomText for Mac, that would be up to AI squared to produce. At this point they don't know of the Mac market in accessibility, since it's fairly new.

        Egun. On, Lagunak! (Basque for "G' day,Mates"),
        Louie P. (Pete) Nalda
        Http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
        Http://www.Facebook.com/lpnalda
        Http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
          Hi Mac fans ;-)

          I'm also thinking about going Mac. How is the caret and menu tracking of
          their magnifier these days? It used to be terrible in the early days of OS
          X.
          I'm using the built-in Windows 7 magnifier at home and the latest ZoomText
          9.1 on XP for work. How does the Mac compare to those?

          Thanks for your input!

          BTW: Any experiences with software development in Eclipse while using full
          screen zoom on a Mac is very very much appreciated!!

          Cheers, Bas

          On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Pete Nalda <lpnalda@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi,
          > It's probably the font smoothing you don't like. I'm away from mine ATM,
          > but in the zoom options there should be a checkbox to uncheck. As to why no
          > ZoomText for Mac, that would be up to AI squared to produce. At this point
          > they don't know of the Mac market in accessibility, since it's fairly new.
          >
          > Egun. On, Lagunak! (Basque for "G' day,Mates"),
          > Louie P. (Pete) Nalda
          > Http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
          > Http://www.Facebook.com/lpnalda
          > Http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
          >

          > On Nov 3, 2011, at 9:37 PM, "weekslauren" <lauren@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello
          > > I am new to this group so just starting to search the archives. I
          > recently bought an Apple laptop excited about converting to be a MAc person
          > after getting an IPHONE however I was/am disappointed in their screen
          > magnifier built into the system. I have always used ZoomText and feel the
          > magnifier on the apple makes the text blurry and not easy to read for long
          > periods of time.
          > >
          > > Does anyone else have an Apple laptop and what do they use for screen
          > magnification? Is there a software made for Apple products I was sad to
          > learn Zoom Text is not for Apple, I wonder why not?
          > >
          > > Just curious other people's experience with the Apple laptops and if I
          > made a terrible decision to convert (as I write this on my PC while my
          > Apple collects dusts!)
          > > Thanks
          > > Lauren

        • Barbara Milleville
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
            A friend who uses Zoom Text tried out her parents' Mac recently. She said
            that the Apple mag software didn't do nearly as many things as Zoom Text.
            Another person with low vision I know has a Mac. She loves it. I'm sorry I
            don't have more details.

            Here's my 2 cents: I'm due for a new laptop in the next year. Unless
            something crazy happens, will probably will stay with a pc even though
            Apples have my interest. If it's Instant On you're after, that's starting
            to appear on non Apple machines now too. They say if it ain't broke, don't
            fix it. Yeah, ZT and Microsoft aren't perfect but for me, they aren't
            broke. I understand why those who are functionally blind like Voice Over
            vs. another screen reader but I need to hear more people's positive
            experiences with Apple's magnification software before jumping ship. I
            wonder how often Apple upgrades its mag software and if you have to pay for
            them. And, how is the tech support? Apple's computers sound attractive and
            monitors are beautiful but you don't have to do much digging to see that
            there are unhappy Apple users too. Apple products are far from cheap and
            you're more or less tied to using their iTunes store (ca ching for Apple).
            Also, it's certainly doable but I'm not too excited about learning a new op
            system.

            Barbara

            _____

            <mailto:lauren%40laurenweeks.com> > wrote:

            > > Hello
            > > I am new to this group so just starting to search the archives. I
            > recently bought an Apple laptop excited about converting to be a MAc
            person
            > after getting an IPHONE however I was/am disappointed in their screen
            > magnifier built into the system. I have always used ZoomText and feel the
            > magnifier on the apple makes the text blurry and not easy to read for long
            > periods of time.
            > >
            > > Does anyone else have an Apple laptop and what do they use for screen
            > magnification? Is there a software made for Apple products I was sad to
            > learn Zoom Text is not for Apple, I wonder why not?
            > >
            > > Just curious other people's experience with the Apple laptops and if I
            > made a terrible decision to convert (as I write this on my PC while my
            > Apple collects dusts!)
            > > Thanks
            > > Lauren

          • Pete Nalda
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
              I've had no problems with tracking.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2011
                Hi Barbara,

                Thanks for sharing your observations. I'm checking the possibility of
                moving to a Mac laptop because many prefer them for software development
                purposes. Development environments including heavy Java EE app servers like
                IBM WebSphere or Oracle WebLogic run smooth on a Mac laptop according to
                fellow developers.

                Cheers, Bas

                Bas Cancrinus
                Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56