Winzoom

  • phelan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hello

      Has anyone tried Winzoom?
      If you have please let me know any pros or cons.

      Thank You

      Landa

      Much Aloha,
      Landa
    • Sherry Wells
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
        Hello Phelan,

        I was very excited about WinZoom and was looking forward to trying it out.
        I had absolutely no luck in getting the demo copy to work from me and got
        no response when I emailed for help. What happened to me is that when I
        put in the flash drive, WinZoom did not start automatically. This was
        annoying but I used Jaws to go to the folder and start it. When it
        starts up, it was way too small for me to use. I tabbed around with Jaws
        to try to find a way to increase magnification. I found a plus button and
        clicked on it a number of times but nothing changed. A sighted friend
        said the magnification level, the number showing on the screen for
        magnification level for the software, was increasing when I clicked plus
        but the display was staying the same size. I emailed WinZoom several
        times and got no response. So I found the product totally unusable.

        This is just my experience, maybe you would have better luck. If you do
        get the demo to work the way you want, I would suggest emailing to ask a
        question or two just to see if you get a response. I don't know about you
        but I do not want to purchase a product if the vendor is not going to
        respond to emails for help. They responded quickly enough when I wanted
        the product and even sent follow ups to see if I wanted to purchase it,
        but no response wehn I needed help. I would have at least expected a
        response saying they forwarded my question to support or a phone number to
        call or something. Again, this is just my experience. Good luck if you
        try it; I'll be interested to know if you have better luck.

        Regards,
        Sherry Wells

        "phelan" <phelanl001@...>
        Sent by: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
        12/03/2010 06:06 AM
        Please respond to
        magnifiers@yahoogroups.com

        <magnifiers@yahoogroups.com>
        cc

        Subject
        [magnifiers] Winzoom

        Hello

        Has anyone tried Winzoom?
        If you have please let me know any pros or cons.

        Thank You

        Landa

        Much Aloha,
        Landa

      • Karey Carbaugh
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
          I think this is the one that I saw at a demonstration this past spring.  The biggest "pro" I can see is that it can be run from a flash drive, and at least at the demo, when I plugged the flash drive into my laptop, it worked GREAT, with no installation necessary.  This means that you could carry your flash drive and walk up to virtually any public computer, or computer of a co-worker, and have "instant magnification".  This excites me greatly, but as was pointed out in a later post, if the support is not there, I would be wary.

          Thank you,
          Have a Great Day!

          Karey Carbaugh

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
            Hi Karey,

            Sorry, but DesktopZoom do exacly that and it's free.
            That is not a "pro" feature in my opinion.

            *Rui Cruz*
            Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
            Telem: +351 96 827 1502
            www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>

            On 03/12/2010 17:19, Karey Carbaugh wrote:

            > I think this is the one that I saw at a demonstration this past
            > spring. The biggest "pro" I can see is that it can be run from a
            > flash drive, and at least at the demo, when I plugged the flash drive
            > into my laptop, it worked GREAT, with no installation necessary. This
            > means that you could carry your flash drive and walk up to virtually
            > any public computer, or computer of a co-worker, and have "instant
            > magnification". This excites me greatly, but as was pointed out in a
            > later post, if the support is not there, I would be wary.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Have a Great Day!
            >
            > Karey Carbaugh
            >
            > --- On Fri, 12/3/10, phelan <phelanl001@...
            > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
            >
            > From: phelan <phelanl001@...
            > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>>
            > Subject: [magnifiers] Winzoom
            > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 5:06 AM
            >

            > Hello
            >
            > Has anyone tried Winzoom?
            > If you have please let me know any pros or cons.
            >
            > Thank You
            >
            > Landa
            >
            > Much Aloha,
            > Landa

          • Karey Carbaugh
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
              Thanks Rui,

              Interesting!  I am not familiar with DesktopZoom and will have to check it out.  My prior experience is that FREE magnifiers are not as robust, but for a "quick and portable" solution, it may work great!  I will definitely have a look at it as I'm always looking for apps like this that can run on a flash drive, and I like FREE!

              Thank you,
              Have a Great Day!

              Karey Carbaugh

              Sorry, but DesktopZoom do exacly that and it's free.
              That is not a "pro" feature in my opinion.

              *Rui Cruz*
              Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
              Telem: +351 96 827 1502
              www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>

              On 03/12/2010 17:19, Karey Carbaugh wrote:

              > I think this is the one that I saw at a demonstration this past
              > spring. The biggest "pro" I can see is that it can be run from a
              > flash drive, and at least at the demo, when I plugged the flash drive
              > into my laptop, it worked GREAT, with no installation necessary. This
              > means that you could carry your flash drive and walk up to virtually
              > any public computer, or computer of a co-worker, and have "instant
              > magnification". This excites me greatly, but as was pointed out in a
              > later post, if the support is not there, I would be wary.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Have a Great Day!
              >
              > Karey Carbaugh
              >
              > --- On Fri, 12/3/10, phelan <phelanl001@...
              > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
              >
              > From: phelan <phelanl001@...
              > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>>
              > Subject: [magnifiers] Winzoom
              > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 5:06 AM
              >

              > Hello
              >
              > Has anyone tried Winzoom?
              > If you have please let me know any pros or cons.
              >
              > Thank You
              >
              > Landa
              >
              > Much Aloha,
              > Landa

            • Rui Cruz
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010

                Free is allways good! :)
                Here is the link:
                http://users.telenet.be/littlegems/MySoft/DesktopZoom/Index.html
                Direct link for the program:
                http://users.telenet.be/littlegems/MySoft/Resources/Programs/DesktopZoom.zip

                Hope it helps.

                And let me know what you think. For my level of magnification need I can
                use this without any problem. And any coust!

                On 03/12/2010 18:35, Karey Carbaugh wrote:

                > Thanks Rui,
                >
                > Interesting! I am not familiar with DesktopZoom and will have to
                > check it out. My prior experience is that FREE magnifiers are not as
                > robust, but for a "quick and portable" solution, it may work great! I
                > will definitely have a look at it as I'm always looking for apps like
                > this that can run on a flash drive, and I like FREE!
                >
                > Thank you,
                > Have a Great Day!
                >
                > Karey Carbaugh
                >
                > --- On Fri, 12/3/10, Rui Cruz <mail@...
                > <mailto:mail%40ruicruz.pt>> wrote:
                >
                > From: Rui Cruz <mail@... <mailto:mail%40ruicruz.pt>>
                > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Winzoom
                > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 10:23 AM
                >

                > Hi Karey,
                >
                > Sorry, but DesktopZoom do exacly that and it's free.
                > That is not a "pro" feature in my opinion.
                >
                > *Rui Cruz*
                > Tel: +351 21 099 70 22
                > Telem: +351 96 827 1502
                > www.RuiCruz.pt <http://www.ruicruz.pt>
                >
                > On 03/12/2010 17:19, Karey Carbaugh wrote:
                > >
                > > I think this is the one that I saw at a demonstration this past
                > > spring. The biggest "pro" I can see is that it can be run from a
                > > flash drive, and at least at the demo, when I plugged the flash drive
                > > into my laptop, it worked GREAT, with no installation necessary. This
                > > means that you could carry your flash drive and walk up to virtually
                > > any public computer, or computer of a co-worker, and have "instant
                > > magnification". This excites me greatly, but as was pointed out in a
                > > later post, if the support is not there, I would be wary.
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > > Have a Great Day!
                > >
                > > Karey Carbaugh
                > >
                > > --- On Fri, 12/3/10, phelan <phelanl001@...
                > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>
                > > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
                > >
                > > From: phelan <phelanl001@...
                > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>
                > > <mailto:phelanl001%40hawaii.rr.com>>
                > > Subject: [magnifiers] Winzoom
                > > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 5:06 AM
                > >

                > > Hello
                > >
                > > Has anyone tried Winzoom?
                > > If you have please let me know any pros or cons.
                > >
                > > Thank You
                > >
                > > Landa
                > >
                > > Much Aloha,
                > > Landa

              • Karey Carbaugh
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
                  Thanks much Rui, I'll definitely check it out and will let you know!

                  Thank you,
                  Have a Great Day!

                  Karey Carbaugh