RE: [magnifiers] Windows 7 and Zoomtext 9

  • EMILIA BELSERENE
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11 1:10 PM
      Thanks. I've kept my Zoomtext updated and I'm happy with it under Windows
      XP. What I'm wondering about is whether I would continue to be happy under
      . I'm wondering if will do in Windows 7. I didn't go to Vista 7, which
      seemed to bother people in many ways.

      Do any of you have positive or negative comments about Windows 7 with or
      without magnification?

      - Emilia
      From: EMILIA BELSERENE <emiliab@...>
      Subject: [magnifiers] Windows 7 and Zoomtext 9
      To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, June 11, 2010, 11:05 AM

      Advice please:

      My trusted computer supplier is recommending Windows 7. Will my Zoomtext 9
      work well with it? What do you all recommend? Shall I stay with XP or take
      his advise? I have been using ZoomText since it was a DOS programm.

      Thanks from Emilia

    • Karey Carbaugh
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11 1:28 PM
        Oopse, sorry!  Thanks for catching this Bas, I meant Windows 7 every place I said Vista below.  Sorry for any confusion.

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

        > If you have ZoomText 9.0, you'll have to buy the upgrade to 9.1 and then
        > upgrade to the latest fixes. If you have ZoomText 9.1, you'll only have to
        > upgrade to the latest fixes and there will not be a cost for doing that.
        >
        > I'm not on Vista, but there have been several posts on this forum from
        > people who are using ZoomText with Vista, as well as people who have dumped
        > ZoomText and begun using the Vista Screen Magnifier that is built in. This
        > wouldnot have Screen Reading capabilities, but I think there is a Screen
        > Reader built in to Vista too. My advice would be to try to use a computer
        > with Vista on it first and see if you can use it successfully, either with
        > the built-in programs or with ZoomText, before upgrading.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Have a Great Day!
        >
        > Karey Carbaugh
        >
        > --- On Fri, 6/11/10, EMILIA BELSERENE <emiliab@...<emiliab%40olympus.net>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: EMILIA BELSERENE <emiliab@... <emiliab%40olympus.net>>
        > Subject: [magnifiers] Windows 7 and Zoomtext 9
        > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Friday, June 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
        >

        > Advice please:
        >
        > My trusted computer supplier is recommending Windows 7. Will my Zoomtext 9
        > work well with it? What do you all recommend? Shall I stay with XP or take
        > his advise? I have been using ZoomText since it was a DOS programm.
        >
        > Thanks from Emilia

        Bas Cancrinus
        Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

      • Thomas Morgan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11 7:51 PM
          I use Zoomtext 9.18 on windows 7 and it works well.

          However your computer must be a very fast computer to handle everything on windows 7 otherwise you will be better off with XP.

          Windows handles Zoomtext better in some areas, and XP in other areas. For performance i would give the edge to windows 7, for compatibility i will give the edge to Windows 7 however in stability XP is way bettert. I expect the stability in zoomtext to improve greatly over the next 12 months, especially if there is a major update.

          The Great thing about windows 7 is it has a fantastic built in full screen magnifier. Which can magnifier any type of program you have without any slow downs. It doesn't have very good font smoothing or contrast settings, but its performance and compatibility is second to none.

          Good luck

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12 7:20 AM
            What a wonderful source of information you are! Thank you! Not sure what
            you mean by stability?. I am wondering what loss I would notice if I go
            with Windows 7 in the new computer I am deciding on. It is not a brand name
            but is being put together by a local expert. I don't do anything more
            demanding than Quicken and a new version of a plant identification program
            ready to install.

            - Emilia