Re: [magnifiers] Laptops

  • Karey Carbaugh
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
      Hi Don,

      I'm sorry, but I'm not that familiar with cataracts, or the surgery to remove them.  My condition is actually one that I've had since birth, and is Optic Nerve Atrophy.  It is my understanding that cataract surgery is relatively routine now days and is often done by lazer, with minimal incision?  I guess at this point, my best advice would be after it is over and your vision is stable, then, if you need help with magnification for your computer and such, check back with this group.  There may be others on here that are more familiar with the surgery and can give more immediate and direct advice.  I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and hope all will go well for you!

      Thank you,
      Have a Great Day!

      Karey Carbaugh

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
        Bas,

        After reviewing the PDF file you referenced, I believe we did all of this about 2 years ago.  I have to schedule with our IT department to verify this, as I do not have administrative priviledges to my work system and cannot verify the steps as outlined in this PDF.  However, I believe the root cause of the problem lies in the following section which I copied from the PDF.  The 4-letter word highlighted in the section below, I believe, is the problem.  This is also what I have been told by SPSS, who advised me to dump ZoomText and replace it with the product they have tested with, highlighted below, known as JAWS®.  SPSS guarantees that my problems will go away if I replace ZoomText with JAWS®.  However, I know enough to know that these 2 programs do not serve the same function.  Having said this, I will see if I can schedule time with our IT department to take a look at these items and see if they make any difference.  I fear they will not, as
        both SPSS and AI Squared have said these 2 products are incompatible.  I will post back to the group when I have tried this.  If anyone has successfully gotten ZoomText to work with a version of SPSS, after version 15, I'd be very interested in knowing how.

        SPSS Statistics has been tested with JAWS®. To enable JAWS and other assistive technology products to work with SPSS Statistics, you need to:
        * Set the location of the Java Access Bridge.
        * Replace the Java accessibility.properties file.
        * For JAWS, copy the JAWS dictionary file from the Disk 2 CD-ROM.

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

> [...]

        > > --- On Thu, 3/25/10, T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com <mrstish05%40yahoo. com>>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > From: T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com <mrstish05%40yahoo. com>>
        > >
        > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Laptops
        > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
        >
        > > Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 7:48 PM
        > >

        > > I recently had Windows 7 installed on my laptiop and its ok. I take
        > online
        > > classes and its not compatiible with Blackboard which is a site I use for
        > my
        > > online classes. Windows 7 is not compatiible with other software that I
        > use
        > > either. I like to use Mavis Beacon Typing and Windows 7 is not compatible
        > > with this software. I use a magnification of 400% on Windows 7. One day
        > > I will be able to afford Zoomtext and my tourbles will be over.

        Bas Cancrinus
        Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
          Hi Karey,

          Please inspect the contents of the accessibility.properties file that is
          included with the SPSS JRE. The standard Sun JRE activates JAB with the
          following settings:

          assistive_technologies=com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
          screen_magnifier_present=true

          You only need those 2 lines and nothing else. Make sure that this file is
          present in the .../jre/lib directory.

          Regards,
          Bas

          On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

> [...]
          > com>>
          > > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > From: T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com <mrstish05%40yahoo. com>>
          > > >
          > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Laptops
          > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
          > >
          > > > Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 7:48 PM
          > > >

          > > > I recently had Windows 7 installed on my laptiop and its ok. I take
          > > online
          > > > classes and its not compatiible with Blackboard which is a site I use
          > for
          > > my
          > > > online classes. Windows 7 is not compatiible with other software that I
          > > use
          > > > either. I like to use Mavis Beacon Typing and Windows 7 is not
          > compatible
          > > > with this software. I use a magnification of 400% on Windows 7. One day
          > > > I will be able to afford Zoomtext and my tourbles will be over.

          Bas Cancrinus
          Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

        • Karey Carbaugh
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
            Thanks again Bas for your help!

            I found the file in the .../jre/lib directory, under the SPSS directory.  These 2 lines are the only lines in the file, except for comment lines.

            Thank you,
            Have a Great Day!

            Karey Carbaugh

            On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
            > com>>
            > > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > From: T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com <mrstish05%40yahoo. com>>
            > > >
            > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Laptops
            > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
            > >
            > > > Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 7:48 PM
            > > >

            > > > I recently had Windows 7 installed on my laptiop and its ok. I take
            > > online
            > > > classes and its not compatiible with Blackboard which is a site I use
            > for
            > > my
            > > > online classes. Windows 7 is not compatiible with other software that I
            > > use
            > > > either. I like to use Mavis Beacon Typing and Windows 7 is not
            > compatible
            > > > with this software. I use a magnification of 400% on Windows 7. One day
            > > > I will be able to afford Zoomtext and my tourbles will be over.

            Bas Cancrinus
            Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
              So Zoomtext does not track the UI controls of SPSS with the correct values
              of accessibility.properties?
              Very strange, I can't tell you from here what's wrong. I hope you manage to
              sort this out with Zoomtext/SPSS support.

              Good luck!
              Bas

              On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

> [...]
              > > fingers
              > > > at the other for the solution to the problems.
              > > >

              > > > Thank you,
              > > > Have a Great Day!
              > > >
              > > > Karey Carbaugh
              > > >
              > > > --- On Sat, 3/27/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...<bascancr%40gmail. com>>
              > > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com <bascancr%40gmail. com>>
              > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Laptops
              > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
              > > > Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 7:31 AM
              > > >

              > > > To activate Java-Zoomtext interoperability you need to install the Java
              > > > Access Bridge. Download URL:
              > > > http://java. sun.com/javase/ technologies/ accessibility/
              > accessbridge/
              > > > index.jsp
              > > > Please post back your results with JAB installed for SPSS to the list.

              Bas Cancrinus
              Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

            • Karey Carbaugh
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                Thanks Bas, and thanks for your help!  Its possible that the instuctions you sent may be the key if my system is not pointing to the SPSS Access Bridge.  I haven't had a chance to get with my IT folks to have them go through those steps and verify the path that is being pointed to.  I cannot see those panels without the Administrator Priviledges on my system.

                I've been working with SPSS, now IBM, and AI Squared for about 2 years on this problem and they have pretty much given up on it.  this is why they, SPSS, has repeatedly told me to replace ZoomText with JAWS.  Again, they don't understand that ZoomText and JAWS are not functionally the same, but they have tested with JAWS, so that is their Accessibility product of choice.  One day, they will get tired of giving us a license for their old, unsupported product, and maybe then someone will figure this out.

                I will try to get our IT guys to go through those steps though and will post back here when I have an update.  If anyone on here has had success with these 2 programs, I would be very interested.

                Thank you,
                Have a Great Day!

                Karey Carbaugh

                On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
                > > fingers
                > > > at the other for the solution to the problems.
                > > >

                > > > Thank you,
                > > > Have a Great Day!
                > > >
                > > > Karey Carbaugh
                > > >
                > > > --- On Sat, 3/27/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com<bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                > > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com <bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] Laptops
                > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                > > > Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 7:31 AM
                > > >

                > > > To activate Java-Zoomtext interoperability you need to install the Java
                > > > Access Bridge. Download URL:
                > > > http://java. sun.com/javase/ technologies/ accessibility/
                > accessbridge/
                > > > index.jsp
                > > > Please post back your results with JAB installed for SPSS to the list.

                Bas Cancrinus
                Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

              • tonymx08
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Hi All,

                  HyperLens (newly released by VisionSuit Software
                  <http://www.visionsuit.com> ) has some unique features:

                  1. Zooming with arbitrary rotation. That is to say, use Ctrl + Mouse
                  Wheel to zoom, or along with Shift key to rotate at the same time. In
                  both Shaped Lens and Full-screen modes.
                  2. Highly optimized real-time sharpening filters (Sharpen and Edge
                  Enhance).
                  3. Full color level adjustments for every color channel in all the 4
                  color modes (True Color, Grayscale, Invert and Sepia), which enable you
                  to clearly view the dim graphic/video details hidden in the dark areas
                  that normally very hard to be seen.
                  4. Full color adjustments (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Hue)
                  and mouse cursor enhancements (Size, Color and Opacity).
                  5. Full mouse cursor enhancements, now supports mouse cursor size up
                  to 128 x 128 pixels.
                  6. Realistic click highlighting effects.
                  7. Working smoothly with almost all screen resolutions in full-screen
                  mode.
                  8. 12 built-in realistic anti-glare texture filters.
                  The 30-day Free Trial of HyperLens 6.0 can be downloaded at:
                  http://www.visionsuit.com/HyperLensSetup.exe
                  <http://www.visionsuit.com/HyperLensSetup.exe> (5.27 MB)
                  or
                  http://www.visionsuit.com/HyperLensSetup.zip
                  <http://www.visionsuit.com/HyperLensSetup.zip> (5.24 MB)

                  For more detailed information about HyperLens, please visit the product
                  page at:
                  http://www.visionsuit.com/index.html
                  <http://www.visionsuit.com/index.html>

                  Finally hope HyperLens will suit your visual needs much better!

                  Best regards,
                  Tony