RE: [magnifiers] Re: Dual Monitor - Magnification displays on second monitor

  • Karey Carbaugh
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 24, 2010
      You're most welcome Doug and thanks for responding!  Its great to hear from you again as it has been a while.

      I thought others might find it of interest, as it was not something I had really thought about when I was doing it.  I was merely trying to make my life easier and use the computer to "level the playing field" so to speak.

      Thanks to you and your calleagues as well for all you've done on ZoomText!  It has truely enabled me to be productive.  I'm at my other office today, which is technically my main office though I'm only here one day a week.  I have the dual monitors set up.  I did this primarily for training, both me training others and them training me, so that I'd have an un-enlarged monitor for them to look at while I use ZoomText.  I have found that the side-by-side monitors in "span" mode are a real God send for spreadsheets and lining up information.  Before long, I may want the dual monitors in both offices!  I just wanted to say thinks and to share with you that this has been far more valuable than I had ever imagined and I've only had it for a week so I'm still really just getting used to it.

      Thank you,
      Have a Great Day!

      Karey Carbaugh

      From: T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com <mailto:mrstish05% 40yahoo.com> >
      To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <mailto:magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Monday, February 22, 2010, 11:27 AM

      Hi Karey, what do you do for a living? I am currently attending college to pursue my Bachelor degree in Health Information Management. I access most of my classes online but decided to take some in seat classes this semester and this has been a challenge for me. I am constantly explaining my low vision needs to people. I have had low visoin for over ten years and I am only 39 years old and never knew anyone in my situation. I struggle with the facrt that I have low vision every day. I always wonder if someone is going to hire me after I finish school. How do I explain my situation to employers?

      From: hostricity <geoffstaples@ hostricity. com>
      To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 2:26 PM

      Thanks for the heads up.

      The dual monitor feature as I described is the primary requirement.

      We don't need really high power magnification or a lot of flexibility. 200% to 300% would be plenty.

      This is for someone who can see the monitor screen to navigate, etc., but needs the magnification to perform various functions and read smaller text.

      He is not legally blind, but has low vision issues related to diabetes and needs an assist.

      We found that magnifying directly under the magnifier disrupts his ability to use and navigate the screen, hence the idea of magnification on the second screen.

      Geoff

      --- In magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com, "Shawn Warren" <swarren@... > wrote:

      > Geoff,
      >
      > Don't waste your time. WinZoom does not support what you want "allows
      > me to use a magnifier on screen 1, but have the magnification display on
      > screen 2"
      >
      > However, if you don't care about the Dual Mon support, WinZoom will
      > provide cheap magnificication.
      >
      > Shawn

    • T H
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 25, 2010
        Hi Karey.  I really appreciate your feedback.  No one understands the struggles that I endure because they don't walk in my shoes.  Being able to express myself to someone who can understand makes a big difference to me.  I have dealt with this disability for years now but it tends to be a daily struggle but I keep moving along.  I continue to strive in college so that I can someday achieve that degree and find a career that will accept me for who I am.

        Hi Karey, what do you do for a living?  I am currently attending college to pursue my Bachelor degree in Health Information Management.  I access most of my classes online but decided to take some in seat classes this semester and this has been a challenge for me.  I am constantly explaining my  low vision needs to people.  I have had low visoin for over ten years and I am only 39 years old and never knew anyone in my situation.  I struggle with the facrt that I have low vision every day.  I always wonder if someone is going to hire me after I finish school.  How do I explain my situation to employers?

        The dual monitor feature as I described is the primary requirement.

        We don't need really high power magnification or a lot of flexibility. 200% to 300% would be plenty.

        This is for someone who can see the monitor screen to navigate, etc., but needs the magnification to perform various functions and read smaller text.

        He is not legally blind, but has low vision issues related to diabetes and needs an assist.

        We found that magnifying directly under the magnifier disrupts his ability to use and navigate the screen, hence the idea of magnification on the second screen.

        Geoff

        --- In magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com, "Shawn Warren" <swarren@... > wrote:

        > Geoff,
        >
        > Don't waste your time. WinZoom does not support what you want "allows
        > me to use a magnifier on screen 1, but have the magnification display on
        > screen 2"
        >
        > However, if you don't care about the Dual Mon support, WinZoom will
        > provide cheap magnificication.
        >
        > Shawn

      • davebrody2004
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 26, 2010
          Has anyone tried this magnifier. What do people think?

          --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Verhoeven, Peter" <peter.verhoeven@...> wrote:

          > Hi Vicky,
          >
          > You can also try WinZoom http://www.getwinzoom.com
          > They offer a UsB version, that does not need any driver installation or administrator permission.
          >
          > Peter Verhoeven
          > http://www.magnifiers.org
          >

          > Peter Verhoeven
          > T +31 (0)77 359 2706

        • hostricity
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
            Karey:

            ZoomText Lite doesn't have the dual monitor feature.

            We've installed software and setup the second monitor. My friend really likes it.

            He has a large monitor, set to make stuff as big as possible without stuff staring to jumble up, etc.

            I've watched him use it. He can see fine to open a browser, go to his email, and look at the list of email that has come in, but, it's a little bit of a strain. When he opens an email, he uses the magnifier and reads it on the other screen. That works really well.

            In fact, with two monitors, sometimes he just moves something to the other screen and magnifies it there.

            Sometimes, he uses the magnifier on the main screen.

            But, he really likes just leaving it set so that the second screen always shows what's under the magnifying glass on the first screen because that gives him the best overall view of the main screen and he can see what's too small, or eye-strainy on the second monitor.

            Please note that my friend has better vision then most who use this stuff, so the main screen is readable for some things, and it is mostly when he drills down into an email, document, or whatever, that he uses the magnifier.

            Geoff

            --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Geoff,
            >
            > I guess I've been using ZoomText on a single screen for so long that I can't understand the difficulty with losing the "natural flow" on a screen.  After 25+ years of using ZoomText, and other products before ZoomText came out including a CCTV with a cable that plugged into my PC back in the 80's, my "natural flow" is clearly using magnification on a single monitor.  I remember being very excited when I no longer had to put my strong magnifier lenses on and litteerally rub my nose on the screen to read it while I was in college.  They found an old CRT terminal that had dual pitch characters, so you could make the letters twice as big.  This wasn't big enough, but cut down the strain a lot.
            >
            > If your friend only needs about 2X magnification, ZoomText has a product that I think they now call ZoomText Lite which has lower magnification and is less expensive.  I don't know if it has the dual monitor capability or ot, but I would still guess that once your friend gets used to using the magnification it will be easier to use it on 1 monitor.  To me, looking back and forth would be slower, but maybe its all in what you get used to.
            >
            > I presume you have already tried the normal font size enhancements in Windows?  This also might work for the lower magnification needs, especially with a very large display, like say a 20-inch or even a 27 inch display.  I'm just thinking of options which might be more cost-effective for him.
            >

            > Thank you,
            > Have a Great Day!
            >
            > Karey Carbaugh

          • hostricity
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
              Karey said, "It is true that you have to be careful about how much you overwhelm people at first with your needs for adaptive ewuipment and how you do your job. I have found that for me it works best to down play the impairement. I never lie about it, but I don't always bring it up in the beginning. This way people get to know me first as a person and then they learn about my disability. In this
              way I am seen as a person with a disability rather than as a disabled person."

              I agree. I do websites for political candidates. One of my candidates is a dwarf. If he is elected judge, we think he will be the first dwarf in the U. S. elected to the bench.

              He is a great person and will likely beat two opponents in the Democratic primary next week. The winner of the Democratic Primary will win in November, barring something weird.

              When I did his website, I told him that people should get to know him first as a competent attorney and candidate. So, I had him do a short video which we put up on the home page of his website. Once you get into the website, it is obvious that he's a dwarf from the photos with other political figures and the stuff he says about it in his biography. He's a really strong candidate, so I don't know if the "get to know him first" strategy actually made any difference, but he's winning and it didn't hurt.

              Here's something he told me I found really offensive. He and his wife let it roll off their backs, but I know it is annoying to them and that they have to put on a game face and be polite: They tell me that when they are out in public, that it isn't uncommon for people to walk up to them and ask if they can take their picture or have a picture taken with them. They think the people want a picture of the "freaks", and I agree.

              I was surprised that people would do that. If I were standing in line or sitting next to one of them in a bar, I wouldn't hesitate talking to them about being a dwarf if we were enjoying casual conversation -- I'm always curious and excited to meet people who have different experiences from my own, but walking up to someone on the street and asking to take their picture seems really rude.

              I know that I will talk with people about this kind of stuff more quickly than most other people. I think it's because I grew up in Baltimore, in the Johns Hopkins community, and I was constantly around all kinds of different people and they were my friends - so, of course, we talked about what we had in common and what's different.

              My theory is that people can tell whether you are comfortable about discussing these things with them, and they interpret that comfort as a friendly gesture of goodwill, so they are happy to talk with someone they believe is genuinely interested and sympathetic.

            • Karey Carbaugh
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
                Well said Geoff!

                I completely agree with you and yes it is rather angering to hear of people coming up and wanting to take a picture of your friend.  I do hope he wins the election as this could be a huge step for many people who are different.

                When I was going through Voc. Rehab. I had a meeting with my counsellor and another gentleman one time and turned around as he entered the room.  At first I thought he was in a wheelchair based on where we made eye contact, then I realized he was standing up and was a dwarf.  While it was surprising at first, having not met many dwarfs myself, I would have NEVER thought of taking his picture, or even wanting to.

                I do agree that the person's comfort level with their own situation, whether a disability or other condition, will "rub off" on others and set the tone for the interaction.

                Good luck to your friend in the election!

                Thank you,
                Have a Great Day!

                Karey Carbaugh

> [...]

                enjoy and then you
                > can overcome the other challenges much easier.
                >
                > I'd be happy to discuss this more off-line as I'm sure this is not pertinent to everyone on this list, but I wanted to share a bit in case others had interest in this topic.
                >
                > Best of luck to you in your career decisions and if I can be of help, dont hesitate to e-mail me.

              • Karey Carbaugh
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Geoff,

                  I was afraid this might be the case with ZoomText Lite, but thought it was worth a shot.

                  One of the reasons I sugggested the different view modes was that they offer some level of being able to see the whole screen and "zoom in" on what you want to enlarge without the costly and space connsuming second monitor.  If the second monitor works, that is probably the best solution if cost is not an issue and if your friend has enough space on his work area.  With flat screen monitors, the space isn't as much of an issue as it once was when  20 inch monitor took up a whole desk and took a team of mules to move.  :)

                  Thank you,
                  Have a Great Day!

                  Karey Carbaugh

                  ZoomText Lite doesn't have the dual monitor feature.

                  We've installed software and setup the second monitor. My friend really likes it.

                  He has a large monitor, set to make stuff as big as possible without stuff staring to jumble up, etc.

                  I've watched him use it. He can see fine to open a browser, go to his email, and look at the list of email that has come in, but, it's a little bit of a strain. When he opens an email, he uses the magnifier and reads it on the other screen. That works really well.

                  In fact, with two monitors, sometimes he just moves something to the other screen and magnifies it there.

                  Sometimes, he uses the magnifier on the main screen.

                  But, he really likes just leaving it set so that the second screen always shows what's under the magnifying glass on the first screen because that gives him the best overall view of the main screen and he can see what's too small, or eye-strainy on the second monitor.

                  Please note that my friend has better vision then most who use this stuff, so the main screen is readable for some things, and it is mostly when he drills down into an email, document, or whatever, that he uses the magnifier.

                  Geoff

                  --- In magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ ...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Geoff,
                  >
                  > I guess I've been using ZoomText on a single screen for so long that I can't understand the difficulty with losing the "natural flow" on a screen.  After 25+ years of using ZoomText, and other products before ZoomText came out including a CCTV with a cable that plugged into my PC back in the 80's, my "natural flow" is clearly using magnification on a single monitor.  I remember being very excited when I no longer had to put my strong magnifier lenses on and litteerally rub my nose on the screen to read it while I was in college.  They found an old CRT terminal that had dual pitch characters, so you could make the letters twice as big.  This wasn't big enough, but cut down the strain a lot.
                  >
                  > If your friend only needs about 2X magnification, ZoomText has a product that I think they now call ZoomText Lite which has lower magnification and is less expensive.  I don't know if it has the dual monitor capability or ot, but I would still guess that once your friend gets used to using the magnification it will be easier to use it on 1 monitor.  To me, looking back and forth would be slower, but maybe its all in what you get used to.
                  >
                  > I presume you have already tried the normal font size enhancements in Windows?  This also might work for the lower magnification needs, especially with a very large display, like say a 20-inch or even a 27 inch display.  I'm just thinking of options which might be more cost-effective for him.
                  >

                  > Thank you,
                  > Have a Great Day!
                  >
                  > Karey Carbaugh

                • Sherry Wells
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                    This has been a most interesting thread. I agree with Karey in that it is
                    best when possible to let someone, especially a potential employer, get to
                    know you before disclosing that you have a disability. I work as a
                    consultant so often have to interview for new assignments and travel to
                    new places. I find that people are genuinely interested in how we work on
                    the computer and get around. Most are reluctant to ask as they do not
                    want to be intrusive. Its nice when they do feel comfortable enough to
                    ask questions. I would be the same way with those with other
                    disabilities, the dwarf for example. As someone said, it is interesting
                    to learn about all sorts of different people.

                    The anecdote about people wanting to have their picture taken with the
                    dwarf reminds me of something that happened to me shortly after 911. I
                    was walking down the street and a total stranger came up to me and told
                    me how lucky I was not to be able to see the horrific tv images of the
                    twin towers burning and collapse. I was so surprised that I did not think
                    of a good response, just muttered something about not considering myself
                    particularly lucky in that regard. I'm still amazed someone would think
                    that way and also wonder at the incredible idiocy of going up to a dwarf
                    and asking to have your picture taken with him or her.

                    Regards,
                    Sherry Wells

                    "hostricity" <geoffstaples@...>
                    Sent by: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
                    03/01/10 11:06 AM
                    Please respond to
                    magnifiers@yahoogroups.com

                    magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
                    cc

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    had never anticipated, much less in my first few months. I share this
                    just to give you an idea of how you can take your difficulties and turn
                    them into assets. I have continued to create these efficiencies in my
                    current position and have become known throught the Community College
                    system here in Colorado and was even hired under contract to do some of
                    what I have done for my college at the College System to benefit them and
                    the other colleges.
                    > It has not always been easy. In fact, I truely believe that some of
                    the reason I was selected for the lay-off was due to my disability, but
                    when I looked into it with a lawywer, I was told that the best I could
                    hope for, if I wonl, was to get my job back and be working for the same
                    supervisor. He was one that just never understood and the culture was
                    such that everyone was being driven to their humanly possible limits.Â
                    This made it nearly impossible to compensate for my disability and I was
                    just not able to produce at the levels they wanted. Now, I understand
                    that they are expecting 60 to 80 hours a week with top productivity from
                    everyone and this would have meant about 100 to 120 hours per week from me
                    to compensate. I'm enjoying life so much more working for a Community
                    College than for the corporate world. I only wish that I had discovered
                    this sooner. Again, I mention this to say it is so important to find a
                    job you enjoy and then you
                    > can overcome the other challenges much easier.
                    > I'd be happy to discuss this more off-line as I'm sure this is not
                    pertinent to everyone on this list, but I wanted to share a bit in case
                    others had interest in this topic.
                    > Best of luck to you in your career decisions and if I can be of help,
                    dont hesitate to e-mail me.

                    > Thank you,
                    > Have a Great Day!
                    >
                    > Karey Carbaugh

                    situation. I struggle with the facrt that I have low vision every day.Â
                    I always wonder if someone is going to hire me after I finish school.Â

                  • Doug Hacker
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Thanks everyone (again) for a very interesting discussion. A little bit off topic but, given the current thoughts, something I thought you’d all be interested in . . .

                      On the Ai Squared homepage you’ll see a video that advertises ZoomText but also includes a human interest element involving a man named Charlie Collins, one of our dealers. If you haven’t seen the video it’s on our homepage at http://www.aisquared.com/

                      The video was filmed and edited by a friend of mine, George Kachadorian, who also made an award winning documentary movie called “Shooting Beauty”. The movie addresses many of the themes we’re talking about here – in this case focusing on a group of folks with Cerebral Palsy whose lives and emotions are revealed through a photography project.

                      Here’s the trailer for the movie:

                      http://www.everyonedeservesashot.com/trailer.htm

                      Hopefully, it will come to your area or reach some wider distribution soon.

[...]

                      "hostricity" <geoffstaples@... <mailto:geoffstaples%40hostricity.com> >
                      Sent by: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
                      03/01/10 11:06 AM
                      Please respond to