Zoomtext and Citrix

  • Luc Sterckx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2010

      I've tried to use Zoomtext 9.1 in combination with Citrix.

      Magnification works, tracking and reading don't.

      Zoomtext is installed on a PC running under XP,

      Once the pc and Zoomtext are started, I launch the ICA client to open the
      Citrix environment on which I'm using applications like :

      Lotus Notes mail, ms word, excel, client access for iSeries, wordpad.

      On the pc Zoomtext tracking and reading work fine, in the Citrix environment
      they don't.

      Is there anyone else who is using Zoomtext on Citrix?

      Do you have similar problems? Did you find a work-around?

      Thank you in advance for your reactions,

      Kind regards,

      Luc

    • Karey Carbaugh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
        Hi Luc,

        Yes, I am using ZoomText 9.18 and Windows XP with Citrix and have similar problems.  When I sent a note to AI Squared, they said that these are known problems and that Citrix is not a supported application.  This was a while ago when I asked them, and I haven't asked more recently

        My "work arounc" isn't much better, but the applications run faster as we have very large data files.  I use VPN in combination with Remote Desktop on a daily basis.  Unfortunately, I have the same problems with reading and tracking in Remote Desktop and AIP Squared had the same response, that this application is not supported.  I don't know if any other magnifiers are any better in these applications...  Maybe Windows 7 and its mgnifier handle these better, but I am not there yet.

        The only somewhat reasonable work around I've found is to track my cursor with my mouse "manually".  This requires keeping one hand on the mouse pretty much all the time when I'm in these applications.  Its not real "convenient", but it does work.  For the Reading capabilities, I've found that ocpying to the clipboard and reading from the clipboard works for text documents, but you have to go back to your main desktop to read from the clipboard (in Remote Desktop anyway).  I have not used Citrix enough ot know if the reading from the clipboard will work or not.  Since getting set up with Remote Desktop, I don't use Citrix as much, but can confirm your problems.

        This probably isn't too helpful, but may offer some confirmation.  Let me know if you have any other questions I can try to answer.

        Thank you,
        Have a Great Day!

        Karey Carbaugh

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
          Hello Karey,

          Thank you for the quick reply.

          Now I know at least that it is not an 'isolated' problem on my specific
          system config.

          In the meantime I've tried out Lunar. This one seems to track the cursor in
          the Citrix environment.

          Zoomtext Clipboard reading soems to work properly. But, it would be nice
          when reading would work as well.

          Let's keep informing eachother when things improve.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
            You're welcome Luc,

            No problem.  I'm glad Lunar.  I must admit that it has been a long time since I've tried Lunar or Magic, though when I tried them both about 10 years or so ago, maybe longer, I was not as happy, overall, with either Lunar or Magic.  I remember Macig was VERY slow and made my over-all system much slower.  I don't remember what I didn't like about Lunar, but no doubt they have improved since then.

            Difinitely, keep me posted if you find out anything and I will do likewise.  I may likely be moving to Windows 7 later this year, and then I'll have a chance to check out the Windows Magnifier.  Perhaps I can use Windows 7 Magnifier with ZoomText's reading capabilities, or maybe then I'll check out Lunar or Magic once again.

            Thank you,
            Have a Great Day!

            Karey Carbaugh