Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1

  • Karey Carbaugh
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 16, 2010
      I'm anxious to try out Windows 7 and the built-in magnifier, but I wouldn't throw out the ZoomText CDs quite yet.  Does Windows Magnifier offer any of the reading features of  ZoomText Level 2 which will speak the screen?

      Thank you,
      Have a Great Day!

      Karey Carbaugh

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 16, 2010
        Hello, Karey & the rest who runs Windows 7...

        I do not use Windows 7 yet, but want to know does Windows 7 Magnifiers
        magnify full screen? Does it do Reverse video (found in ZoomText 9.x's
        Scheme menu)? I tried Windows 98's Magnifier, but it was loooooousy!! I
        noticed it messes up my desktop icons if I tries to stretch my window
        further, I think. Windows ME/XP was the same. I gave them up immediately.

        Thank you,

        Karey, I will have a great day - going to a Deaf Social at a bar 40-45
        minutes away from my home! :) I hope you have a great day yourself!

        Johnny :)

        --
        John Cunniff
        List owns:
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 16, 2010
          Yes, W7 has a built-in screen reader. I don't use a screen reader, so I
          can't tell you how it performs.
          Please check it out and add your findings to this thread.

          On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

          > I'm anxious to try out Windows 7 and the built-in magnifier, but I wouldn't
          > throw out the ZoomText CDs quite yet. Does Windows Magnifier offer any of
          > the reading features of ZoomText Level 2 which will speak the screen?
          >

          > Thank you,
          > Have a Great Day!
          >
          > Karey Carbaugh
          >
          > --- On Sat, 1/16/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...<bascancr%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@... <bascancr%40gmail.com>>
          >
          > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
          > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 6:46 AM
          >

          > Forget XP and ZoomText. Go for the Windows 7 magnifier. Believe me, it's
          > the
          > best option and it's future-proof. Check out YouTube for some clips to
          > convince yourself.
          >
          > Bas
          >
          > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM, T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com> wrote:
          >

          > > Thank you for your response. I am interested in purchasing Zoomtext due
          > > the fact that I have low vision and take online classes as well as surf
          > the
          > > internet. I am just not sure if it is any different from the magnifier
          > that
          > > I have access to on Microsoft XP.
          > >

          > > --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com<kareycarbaugh%
          > 40yahoo.com> >
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > From: Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com <kareycarbaugh%
          > 40yahoo.com> >
          >
          > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
          > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
          >
          > > Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
          > >

          > > I'm not familiar with typing drills specifically, but ZoomText runs
          > > independantly form other software that you load on your computer. As long
          > > as the software follows general accessibility standards, I have only
          > found a
          > > few programs where ZoomText will not work properly. Even in those
          > > applications, I have generally been able to find work-arounds that will
          > make
          > > ZoomText at least function with them.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Have a Great Day!
          > >
          > > Karey Carbaugh

          Bas Cancrinus
          Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 16, 2010
            Hi Johnny,

            This clip answers all your questions:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFRwfDhwGE

            Bas

            --
            Bas Cancrinus
            Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

          • John Cunniff
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 16, 2010
              Bas,

              nice clip from YouTube. Thanks.

              --
              John Cunniff
              List owns:
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 17, 2010
                Hello.  I downloaded Zoomtext 9.1 and was unable to use it because my laptop uses a standard  VGA display driver and was prompted to access hardware update wizard so  that I could use the driver that came with Zoomtext.  I did not know how to access this.  I noticed that Zoomtext 9.1 is really expensive on all websites.  Where do I go to get a reasonable price?  Please let me know.  Thanks.  I have a friend that has Windorw 7 software, should I just use that becaues I keep hearing that if has better magnifiers than Windows XP.

                From: T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com>
                To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com
                Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 3:58 PM

[...]

                List owns:
                DBSocial, DBTechies
                List moderating:
                (two private lists)
                E-mail: johnc@shellworld. net

              • Karey Carbaugh
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Hello,

                  Perhaps your laptop is set to a resolution that is not supported by ZoomText.  I don''t recall the list of reslolutions supported, but they should be available in the System Requirements on AI Squared's website.

                  As for the pricing, it is fairly standard for single-licenses.  If you ONLY need Magnificaiton, and NOT screen reading capabilities, you may be able to just use ZoomText Level 1, which used to be alomost half the price of Levels 1 & 2 (Level 1 only is $395 and Levels 1&2 is $595 on AI Squared's website).  Level 1 is Magnification and Level 2 is Speach Screen Reading.  Also, if you don't require the speach and don't need the higher powers of magnification, AI Squared also has a product that they now called ZoomText Express, which is only $59.95 on their website.  These are all considerably less expensive than they were a couple of years ago when I purchased ZoomText Levels 1&2 for around $700.

                  If all you need is the Magnification, and not the Screen Reading capabilities, you could definitely look in to the Windows 7 Magnifier, but I would guess that it would cost at least $395 to upgrade to Windows 7, but I haven't done that.  I would suggest you maybe look at your friend's Windows 7 machine and check out the Magnifier before upgrading your system to Windows 7.  The interface for Windows 7 is VERY different.

                  the magnifiers.org website also has links to a number of other Professional and FREE Magnifiers which you might want to check out.  My experience, when I looked at some of the free ones a few years ago was that you definitely get what you pay for, but some of them were not bad if you're not using it 10 to 12 hours a day like I do as a programmer.

                  I hope this helps.  The first question is do you need Screen Reading too, or just Magnification and how much magnification do you need?

                  Thank you,
                  Have a Great Day!

                  Karey Carbaugh

[...]

                  List owns:
                  DBSocial, DBTechies
                  List moderating:
                  (two private lists)
                  E-mail: johnc@shellworld. net

                • Karey Carbaugh
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                    Very Interesting, thanks Bas!

                    when I checked out the Screen Magnifier and Screen Reader found in Windows XP, I was sorely disappointed!!!!!!!!

                    The Screen Magnifier allowed other windows and messages to appear (un-enlarged) on top of what was being enlarged, even in full-screen mode, and when I would get to an application that it could not enlarge, it simply displayed an un-enlarged image!  Not very helpful to someone who needs magnification as you never knew what was not being enlarged.

                    The Screen Reader was equally useless as it would read documents to you if you were in MS Word, I think WordPad and NotePad, and other Microsoft text programs, but it would not speak Icons and menu items at all and I never tried it on the weeb, but my suspician is that it would not read web content.  Again, I was sorely disappointed!!

                    I'm glad to hear that at least the magnification seems to be better in Windows 7, though I absolutely HATE the interface and the absense of a "classic" look!!  I guess Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh awasy!  They giveth a better magnifier and they taketh away features and looks that people are used to!  :(

                    I'll be interested in checking the Magnifier and Reader out when I go to Windows 7, probably later this year at work.

                    Thank you,
                    Have a Great Day!

                    Karey Carbaugh

                    On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com>wrote:

                    > I'm anxious to try out Windows 7 and the built-in magnifier, but I wouldn't
                    > throw out the ZoomText CDs quite yet. Does Windows Magnifier offer any of
                    > the reading features of ZoomText Level 2 which will speak the screen?
                    >

                    > Thank you,
                    > Have a Great Day!
                    >
                    > Karey Carbaugh
                    >
                    > --- On Sat, 1/16/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com<bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com <bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                    >
                    > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                    > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                    > Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 6:46 AM
                    >

                    > Forget XP and ZoomText. Go for the Windows 7 magnifier. Believe me, it's
                    > the
                    > best option and it's future-proof. Check out YouTube for some clips to
                    > convince yourself.
                    >
                    > Bas
                    >
                    > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM, T H <mrstish05@yahoo. com> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Thank you for your response. I am interested in purchasing Zoomtext due
                    > > the fact that I have low vision and take online classes as well as surf
                    > the
                    > > internet. I am just not sure if it is any different from the magnifier
                    > that
                    > > I have access to on Microsoft XP.
                    > >

                    > > --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com<kareycarb augh%
                    > 40yahoo.com> >
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > From: Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com <kareycarbaugh%
                    > 40yahoo.com> >
                    >
                    > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                    > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                    >
                    > > Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
                    > >

                    > > I'm not familiar with typing drills specifically, but ZoomText runs
                    > > independantly form other software that you load on your computer. As long
                    > > as the software follows general accessibility standards, I have only
                    > found a
                    > > few programs where ZoomText will not work properly. Even in those
                    > > applications, I have generally been able to find work-arounds that will
                    > make
                    > > ZoomText at least function with them.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you,
                    > > Have a Great Day!
                    > >
                    > > Karey Carbaugh

                    Bas Cancrinus
                    Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                  • Karey Carbaugh
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                      Johnny,

                      Yes, I am not on Windows 7 yet, but will soon be forced to take the plunge and the learning curve.

                      Sounds like some fun activities you were doing this weekend!

                      Thank you,
                      Have a Great Day!

                      Karey Carbaugh

                      Hello, Karey & the rest who runs Windows 7...

                      I do not use Windows 7 yet, but want to know does Windows 7 Magnifiers
                      magnify full screen? Does it do Reverse video (found in ZoomText 9.x's
                      Scheme menu)? I tried Windows 98's Magnifier, but it was loooooousy!! I
                      noticed it messes up my desktop icons if I tries to stretch my window
                      further, I think. Windows ME/XP was the same. I gave them up immediately.

                      Thank you,

                      Karey, I will have a great day - going to a Deaf Social at a bar 40-45
                      minutes away from my home! :) I hope you have a great day yourself!

                      Johnny :)

                      --
                      John Cunniff
                      List owns:
                      DBSocial, DBTechies
                      List moderating:
                      (two private lists)
                      E-mail: johnc@shellworld. net

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                        Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade *$119.99*
                        http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/buy/default.aspx

                        On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Perhaps your laptop is set to a resolution that is not supported by
                        > ZoomText. I don''t recall the list of reslolutions supported, but they
                        > should be available in the System Requirements on AI Squared's website.
                        >
                        > As for the pricing, it is fairly standard for single-licenses. If you ONLY
                        > need Magnificaiton, and NOT screen reading capabilities, you may be able to
                        > just use ZoomText Level 1, which used to be alomost half the price of Levels
                        > 1 & 2 (Level 1 only is $395 and Levels 1&2 is $595 on AI Squared's
                        > website). Level 1 is Magnification and Level 2 is Speach Screen Reading.
                        > Also, if you don't require the speach and don't need the higher powers of
                        > magnification, AI Squared also has a product that they now called ZoomText
                        > Express, which is only $59.95 on their website. These are all considerably
                        > less expensive than they were a couple of years ago when I purchased
                        > ZoomText Levels 1&2 for around $700.
                        >
                        > If all you need is the Magnification, and not the Screen Reading
                        > capabilities, you could definitely look in to the Windows 7 Magnifier, but I
                        > would guess that it would cost at least $395 to upgrade to Windows 7, but I
                        > haven't done that. I would suggest you maybe look at your friend's Windows
                        > 7 machine and check out the Magnifier before upgrading your system to
                        > Windows 7. The interface for Windows 7 is VERY different.
                        >
                        > the magnifiers.org website also has links to a number of other
                        > Professional and FREE Magnifiers which you might want to check out. My
                        > experience, when I looked at some of the free ones a few years ago was that
                        > you definitely get what you pay for, but some of them were not bad if you're
                        > not using it 10 to 12 hours a day like I do as a programmer.
                        >
                        > I hope this helps. The first question is do you need Screen Reading too,
                        > or just Magnification and how much magnification do you need?
                        >

                        > Thank you,
                        > Have a Great Day!
                        >
                        > Karey Carbaugh
                        >
                        > --- On Sun, 1/17/10, T H <mrstish05@... <mrstish05%40yahoo.com>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: T H <mrstish05@... <mrstish05%40yahoo.com>>
                        > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                        > To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com <magnifiers%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Sunday, January 17, 2010, 9:55 AM
                        >

                        > Hello. I downloaded Zoomtext 9.1 and was unable to use it because my
                        > laptop uses a standard VGA display driver and was prompted to access
                        > hardware update wizard so that I could use the driver that came with
                        > Zoomtext. I did not know how to access this. I noticed that Zoomtext 9.1
                        > is really expensive on all websites. Where do I go to get a reasonable
                        > price? Please let me know. Thanks. I have a friend that has Windorw 7
                        > software, should I just use that becaues I keep hearing that if has better
                        > magnifiers than Windows XP.

                        Bas Cancrinus
                        Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                          Hi Karey,

                          I love the W7 interface. It is more efficient, intuitive and accessible than
                          XP or Vista. But it took me some time to get used to it. Overall W7 is a
                          solid release, like W2K was 10 years ago. And its built-in magnifier
                          outperforms any other AT product, because it takes advantage of the GPU [
                          http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/21/follow-up-accessibility-in-windows-7.aspx
                          ].

                          Thanks to the game industry we all have a powerful GPU in our machines now.
                          I consider the W7 magnifier as a preview of the potential benefits from AT
                          utilising the GPU.

                          *Ai Squared, Freedom Scientific and Dolphin: now it's your turn to build the
                          next KILLER GPU-hungry magnifier!!*

                          Regards,
                          Bas

                          On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

> [...]
                          > > >

                          > > > --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com<kareycarb
                          > augh%
                          > > 40yahoo.com> >
                          > > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > From: Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com <kareycarbaugh%
                          > > 40yahoo.com> >
                          > >
                          > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                          > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                          > >
                          > > > Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
                          > > >

                          > > > I'm not familiar with typing drills specifically, but ZoomText runs
                          > > > independantly form other software that you load on your computer. As
                          > long
                          > > > as the software follows general accessibility standards, I have only
                          > > found a
                          > > > few programs where ZoomText will not work properly. Even in those
                          > > > applications, I have generally been able to find work-arounds that will

                          Bas Cancrinus
                          Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                        • T H
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 19, 2010
                            Thanks, this information does help me.  I just need to weigh my options that are available to me.

[...]

                            List owns:
                            DBSocial, DBTechies
                            List moderating:
                            (two private lists)
                            E-mail: johnc@shellworld. net

                          • Karey Carbaugh
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 19, 2010
                              Thanks Bas,

                              I"m sure I'll have to get used to Windows 7 soon.  I'm still not crazy about the Windows interface in general, but it is here to stay.  Windows looks more and more like a Mac every release!  Maybe I'm an old school programmer, but icons and widgets, WYSIWYG and pictures just don't do it for me with regard to interfaces.  I drug my heals on Win 2K until about 2003, but then made the leap.  Im just getting used to that interface, which I've been able to carry forward to XP and now I'll have to abandon it completely, but that seems to be the way of computers.

                              I'm encouraged to hear that Windows 7 has better accessibility, but remain scheptical until I see it and get used to the interface, hopefully before the next generation of interfaces like what happened with me and Windows 2000/XP.

                              I must pleed ignorance as I'v enot seen the acronym GPU.  Can you explain that one?  Is it Graphical Processor Unit?

                              Thank you,
                              Have a Great Day!

                              Karey Carbaugh

                              On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
                              > > >

                              > > > --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com<kareycarb
                              > augh%
                              > > 40yahoo.com> >
                              > > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > From: Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com <kareycarbaugh%
                              > > 40yahoo.com> >
                              > >
                              > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                              > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                              > >
                              > > > Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
                              > > >

                              > > > I'm not familiar with typing drills specifically, but ZoomText runs
                              > > > independantly form other software that you load on your computer. As
                              > long
                              > > > as the software follows general accessibility standards, I have only
                              > > found a
                              > > > few programs where ZoomText will not work properly. Even in those
                              > > > applications, I have generally been able to find work-arounds that will

                              Bas Cancrinus
                              Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 19, 2010
                                Hi Karey,

                                From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpu :
                                A *graphics processing unit* or *GPU* (also occasionally called *visual
                                processing unit* or *VPU*) is a specialized processor that offloads 3D
                                graphics rendering from the
                                microprocessor<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor>.
                                It is used in embedded systems<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system>,
                                mobile phones <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone>, personal
                                computers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer>,
                                workstations<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation>,
                                and game consoles <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_console>. Modern GPUs
                                are very efficient at manipulating computer
                                graphics<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_graphics>,
                                and their highly parallel structure makes them more effective than
                                general-purpose CPUs
                                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit>for a range of
                                complex
                                algorithms <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm>. In a personal computer,
                                a GPU can be present on a video card<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_card>,
                                or it can be on the motherboard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard>.
                                More than 90% of new desktop and notebook computers have integrated GPUs,
                                which are usually far less powerful than those on a dedicated video card.

                                If you prefer a shell over a GUI, check this out:
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

                                Regards,
                                Bas

                                On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:

> [...]
                                > > wouldn't
                                > > > throw out the ZoomText CDs quite yet. Does Windows Magnifier offer any
                                > of
                                > > > the reading features of ZoomText Level 2 which will speak the screen?
                                > > >

                                > > > Thank you,
                                > > > Have a Great Day!
                                > > >
                                > > > Karey Carbaugh
                                > > >
                                > > > --- On Sat, 1/16/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...<bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                                > > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com <bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                                > >

                                > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                                > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                > > > Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 6:46 AM
                                > > >

                                > > > Forget XP and ZoomText. Go for the Windows 7 magnifier. Believe me,
                                > it's
                                > > > the
                                > > > best option and it's future-proof. Check out YouTube for some clips to

                                Bas Cancrinus
                                Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                              • Karey Carbaugh
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 19, 2010
                                  Thanks Bas,

                                  This is interesting.  I am interested in seeing the Windows 7 magnifier and will also check out this shell link you sent.

                                  Thank you,
                                  Have a Great Day!

                                  Karey Carbaugh

                                  On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@ yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > wouldn't
                                  > > > throw out the ZoomText CDs quite yet. Does Windows Magnifier offer any
                                  > of
                                  > > > the reading features of ZoomText Level 2 which will speak the screen?
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Thank you,
                                  > > > Have a Great Day!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Karey Carbaugh
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- On Sat, 1/16/10, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com<bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                                  > > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > From: Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@gmail. com <bascancr%40gmail. com>>
                                  > >

                                  > > > Subject: Re: [magnifiers] ZoomText 8.1 to 9.1
                                  > > > To: magnifiers@yahoogro ups.com <magnifiers% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                  > > > Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 6:46 AM
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Forget XP and ZoomText. Go for the Windows 7 magnifier. Believe me,
                                  > it's
                                  > > > the
                                  > > > best option and it's future-proof. Check out YouTube for some clips to

                                  Bas Cancrinus
                                  Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56