Re: Win7 64 bit and ZoomText 9.1

  • davebrody2004
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 14, 2010
      Windows 7 magnifier is a good basic magnifier that runs very well. There are also lots of other magnification programs out there -- like WinZoom for instance.

      --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "noeyewar" <kennethbrodersen@...> wrote:

      > No. The same version can be used without any problem. However make sure to download the newest version from aisquareds website (your serial number will work with that)
      >
      > There is an other option. If you don't need speech or any other "strange" feature i will advice you to take a look at the included magnifier in windows 7. It does not have so many features but the magnifier runs much much smoother. I am studying software engineering, is almost blind and use my computer for 10-12 hours a day but after playing with the winodws 7 magnifier i can't go back to using zoomtext. I just can't.
      >
      > The quality of the windows magnifier really emphasize how bad zoomtext is and how much pain we, as use, has been forced to endure.
      >
      > Seriously, try it out!
      >
      > --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Ilias Bennani <ilias@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello you all!
      > >
      > > I have bought a new Dell laptop with Win7 64 bit. Is it possible to use the
      > > same ZoomText 9.1 that I am using in Windows XP Pro or do I have to uppgrade
      > > ZoomText?
      > >
      > > Gratings from Sweden!
      > >
      > > Ilias
      > >

      > > *Symbianbloggen.se <http://www.symbianbloggen.se/>*
      > > *Program och tjänster för din **symbian-mobil*
      > >
      > > ===
      > > *Ilias Bennani* - ilias@
      > > Stockholm (Farsta) Sweden.
      > >
      > > *Mobile*: +46 733 22 75 22*
      > > Fax*: +46 8 50 00 16 66
      > >
      > > *Skype*: The_ilias
      > > *Twitter*: ibennani <http://twitter.com/ibennani> *(Please follow me!)*
      > > *MSN*: ilias@
      > > *Facebook*: Ilias
      > > Bennani<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=733905754&ref=profile>

    • Pete Nalda
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
        Yeah but he says mac os magnifier doesn't track and that's just plain wrong.
        On Jan 14, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Ilias Bennani wrote:

        > Hello guys and thanks for all your replies with all this useful information.
        >
        > I watched some clips on Youtube describing the built in magnifier in Win7
        > and it seems to be just what I need.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Y6eaghxGk&feature=related
        >
        > /Ilias
        >
        > *Symbianbloggen.se <http://www.symbianbloggen.se/>*
        > *Program och tj�nster f�r din **symbian-mobil*
        >
        > ===
        > *Ilias Bennani* - ilias@...
        > Stockholm (Farsta) Sweden.
        >
        > *Mobile*: +46 733 22 75 22*
        > Fax*: +46 8 50 00 16 66
        >
        > *Skype*: The_ilias
        > *Twitter*: ibennani <http://twitter.com/ibennani> *(Please follow me!)*
        > *MSN*: ilias@...
        > *Facebook*: Ilias
        > Bennani<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=733905754&ref=profile>
        > ------------------------------
        >
        > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:59, Karey Carbaugh <kareycarbaugh@...>wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks for this information!
        > >
        > > I am not on Windows 7 yet, but proabably will be, at least at work, later
        > > this year. So, I'll check it out. I have been a computer programmer for
        > > over 25 years now, and have used ZoomText and been an avid fan for over 10
        > > years now. It is SOOOOOO much better than what we had before, and much
        > > better than Magic was, at least at that time though I haven't tried it
        > > recently. I'm not saying that it can't be better, but earlier versions of
        > > Windows Magnifier were not at all appealing to me. I can't wait to check
        > > this oue out! At least, if I can use it mostly and use ZT, as Bas
        > > suggested, for some applications, that would be AWESOME!
        > >
        > > I should also note again here that while you are right about ZT being
        > > upgradable to Windows 7, that is ONLY true for 9.1x versins and there is a
        > > fee for earlier versions to be upgraded to work with Windows 7.
        > >

        > > Thank you,
        > > Have a Great Day!
        > >
        > > Karey Carbaugh

        Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
        Pete Nalda
        http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
          How's OSX magnifier tracking these days? I checked out OSX more than a year
          ago and its tracking was so dissappointing that I didn't bother to check it
          ever since.

          Bas

          Bas Cancrinus
          Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

        • Pete Nalda
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
            It seems to be just fine in every program apple includes on the computer. I've had problems with the irc client x-chat aqua, but otherwise, in mail, and Safari (web browser it seems fine. It even tracks well in Terminal. I have just now noticed that I'm having trouble with it tracking the highlight in finder (like windows explorer), but I'll look into that.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 16, 2010
              That's good news, it looks like Apple has improved quite a bit.
              How does the magnifier track 3rd party programs, like Firefox and
              OpenOffice?

            • John Cunniff
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 16, 2010
                Hello, Everybody,

                I'm catching up my e-mails. Busy again tonight for the Deaf social...
                Wow. Busy again on Tues. for Board meeting. Surely, my e-mail will
                almost be caught up in time! Busy January, smiles.

                Anyway, yesterday, I was out of town to visit my friend who purchased
                ZoomText 9.1 & laptop. Good news! ZoomText worked finally! Lucky, my
                friend, Jaimi, she bought an upgrade last Monday, January 11. I called
                the toll-free number. I spoke with Kristi from Ai Squared to help Jaimi.
                Anyway, guess what? Her Operating system is totally different from mine.
                I asked the interpreter who bought Jaimi a new laptop what version of
                Windows just to know what I need for MS Office. Oh boy! It is Windows
                7!!! I never use it before -- my first time!!!! I remembered you guys
                talked about ZoomText 9.1 original disc didn't work in Windows 7 so,
                needed to download the trial version first then, put the serial number
                to work correctly. But surprised, the interpreter installed ZoomText
                from the new CD. It worked! I guess that jaimi is lucky enough to get
                the latest version from Ai Squared!! Smile. Also, surprised me, the
                interpreter told me that Winows 7 requires Jaimi to log in!!! Oh boy!

                Thank you.

                Johnny :)

                --
                John Cunniff
                List owns:
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 16, 2010
                  Yup, yup Johnny,

                  Welcome to Windows 7!  It is all new and all different with a whole new look and all kinds of learning curves!  I have seen it, but haven't used it much.  I'm glad your friend got the latest version on the ZoomText CD's.  I suspect that many people have had problems with the older disks and Windows 7, so they probably upgraded what they are sending out.

                  Good luck!

                  Thank you,
                  Have a Great Day!

                  Karey Carbaugh

[...]

                  List owns:
                  DBSocial, DBTechies
                  List moderating:
                  (two private lists)
                  E-mail: johnc@shellworld. net

                • John Cunniff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 16, 2010
                    Hello, Karey,

                    Thank you! I will need to learn more about Windows 7, like you will. Smile.

                    Have a great day, too.

                    Johnny :)

                    --
                    John Cunniff
                    List owns:
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 16, 2010
                      Have never tried either. But I hear that Firefox is not accessible via VoiceOver and thus, I'm thinking they (Firefox) need to implement Apples' accessibility framework in order for it to work. As for open Office, though I've not tried that, I'm hearing of people using both that and neooffice. For anyone interested here about accessibility for low vision on the mac there is a Google group called MacVisionaries on googlegroups which has been pretty helpful to me.

                    • Tony Cretney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 17, 2010
                        I hope and suspect that the pain is just a temporary problem and that it
                        will improve very soon indeed Chris!
                        Tony
                        Skype tonycu14
                        H.P. laptop Skype tonycu12233