ZoomText 8.1?

  • John Cunniff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hello,Everybody!

      My friend who bought a laptop more than 5 years ago (or 4, I think) and
      she onlyy used her laptop very seldom due of not knowing how to operate
      a laptop very well, because of her DSL service, but she sometimes
      travels with her laptop. It has Windows XP also with ZoomText 8.1. Until
      yesterday, she retired her desktop PC due of old age (almost a decade
      old!) actually, 6 years old, i just remembered. Anyway, she and her
      friend bought a docking parts, and yesterday, they docked her laptop
      into her system. She uses her laptop everyday for her home. It is now
      hooked up with DSL. She can connect without a problem, smile. But she
      and I are having a problem (when I visited her today for lunch) and I
      noticed that when she ran her programs, like Outlook Express, Internet
      Explorer and Notepad (I had to use it for my note since she cannot
      access to the Word for some strange reason) so, all programs' windows
      have been moved to the right side leaving right side of window hidden to
      the right side, I could not see minimize, resize, close button so, I had
      to pull it left-way, finally, saw them appeared. Must be do with a
      monitor's video after docking, hmmm... Reason, before docking, it was a
      laptop's screen but now connected to a computer monitor nowadays. That
      might be why. Anyway, the weird problem, my friend and I have noticed
      that in this afternoon, we found that ZoomText 8.1's screen has a ghost
      with the system trays "docked" on the bottom/righht side of the screen.
      I do not understand why it shows up like docked tray while magnifying or
      moving cursor across. I tried to reboot, the "docking" disappeared until
      after I got home. I asked her when did it happen. She told me after she
      woke up from a nap. Hmm. Strange to me.

      Also, when in Outlook Express, she recently IM me to let me know that
      she cannot see what she actually type, like for example,
      mailing-list-address (shhe is a subscribe of 7 mailing lists.) ZoomText
      did not follow her typing. Hmm... Again, strange to me, that's why.

      Does anyone use ZoomText 8.1 with Toshiba laptop?? Or any desktop PC
      using ZoomText 8.1?? Is ZoomText 8.1 buggy like it was before? I thought
      it is a lot better since she was eligible for a free updates to fix bugs.

      Please let us know. We'd really appreciate your assistance. Many thanks
      for your assistance in advance.

      Have a good night,
      Johnny :)

      Oh! I forgot one more thing, in ZoomText 8.1, I have a problem using
      ALT-GREY-MINUS like on mIRC, if I hit ALT-GREY-MINUS, then, the menu
      appeared like you click on top/left corner of Window that you did not
      want. I had to close pull-down menu. I tried ALT-GREY-MINUS key. It's
      ANNOYING!!!

      --
      John Cunniff
      President,
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2009
        Hi John,
        I can not give you any specific help, but I can give you a few suggestions. I use ZT 8.04 on an IBM Thinkpand X32 with a Dock II docking station. I have a seperate video card in my docking station.  The only problem that I have is that I have to reboot my system, twice, when I dock or undock, to get ZT to recogzice the correct video driver.

        You should go into your video settings and make sure that you are not "stretching" your desktop across the laptop's lcd and an external display. Turn off any special features of the vidwo card/driver until you get a handle on some of the fundamental problems.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2009
          Hi John,

          YOu might also try sending a note to support@aisquared .com as they are pretty quick to respond.  I used ZoomText 8.1, but not with Windows XP.  I know there were problems with 8.1 on XP and many of them were resolved in 9.0.

          Thank you,
          Have a Great Day!

          Karey Carbaugh

[...]

          johnc@shellworld. net
          Videophone: 866-350-7482

        • John Cunniff
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
            Hello, Karey!

            Thank you for your suggestion. I finally found out from my friend with a
            good solution! My friend told me she got mixed-up with CTRL-SHIFT-F as
            she thought it was for color scheme reverse/normal modes, but I told her
            it is CTRL-SHIFT-C! Oops, she found out that CTRL-SHIFT-F did fixed
            "icon docking" problem! Gulp!

            LOL,
            Johnny :)

            --
            John Cunniff
            President,
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
              Thanks John,

              I'm glad your friend got things to work.  I know how it can be with key combinations!  I have so many of them now that it is hard to keep them streight!

              Thanks for the follow-up.

              Thank you,
              Have a Great Day!

              Karey Carbaugh