Re: [magnifiers] iPod Solutions?

  • BruceHP
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
      One of the new iPods has audio menus, but, you can load Rockbox on most iPods.

      I use a Sansa e260 with Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/

      On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM, <cbblob@...> wrote:
      > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to actually use
      > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have found a way
      > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

      ---================
      Keep Shooting!
      BruceHP@(*).com
      ==================
    • Chris Legg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
        www.rockbox.org

      • Haverp@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
          The Victor Reader Stream is ideal for what you are asking.

          /greg

          In a message dated 1/26/2009 3:02:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          siedlaczek@... writes:

          _cbblob@..._ (mailto:cbblob@...) wrote:

          > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to actually
          use
          > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have found a
          way
          > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

          The Rockbox system is available for 1st through 5.5th generation iPod,
          iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
          (/not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch/).

          Find it at rockbox.org.

          Cu
          Frank

          steps!
          cemailfooterNO62)

        • Haverp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2009
            While rockbox does give some speech access, it is not designed for the
            visually impaired and is not designed for audio books. The Victor Reader is
            designed for the visuallyimpaired and solves all the problems the original poster
            was looking to solve.

            /greg

            In a message dated 1/27/2009 7:07:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            cdlegg@... writes:

            www.rockbox.www

            _cbblob@..._ (mailto:cbblob@...) wrote:

            > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to
            > actually use
            > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have
            > found a way
            > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

            steps!
            cemailfooterNO62)

          • Frank Siedlaczek
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2009
              Haverp@... wrote:
              > While rockbox does give some speech access, it is not designed for the
              > visually impaired and is not designed for audio books. The Victor Reader is
              > designed for the visuallyimpaired and solves all the problems the original poster
              > was looking to solve.

              Maybe... But the poster was looking for a solution for his iPod, wasn't he?

              BTW: Can someone in the U.S. please shed some light on the question how
              people in the U.S. finance DAISY players and stuff like that? How does
              it work? Do you have to pay yourself or are there charities trying to
              raise the money or ... And how much is a modern DAISY player like the
              newer plextor models? Is it affordable?

              Thank you for clarification of that matter!

              Frank
            • Pete Nalda
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                Did you folks Know about the Accessible Ipod Nano (4th Generation)? It Uses your computer accessibility settings to read menues, and also has adjustable fonts. The menu reading is actually composed of sound files that are transferred to the ipod upon syncing. Works with Both windows and Mac.

                HTH

                "Egun On, Lagunak" (Basque for G'day Mates)
                Pete Nalda

              • cbblob@cs.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                  After all my researching etc., I found the same solution. I received my Nano
                  4th generation and imported all my songs (after enabling "spoken menus") and
                  it works fantastic. I can even see the screen using my cctv. But best of
                  all, the menu commands are spoken and I find it easy to use. I am having a blast
                  and now wish I had purchased the 16GB instead of the 8GB. But remember, it
                  is only the "Nano 4th generation" that has the spoken menu accessibility.
                  Catherine (Rockin' in Florida now with a Nano)