Re: [magnifiers] iPod Solutions?

  • Frank Siedlaczek
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
      cbblob@... wrote:

      > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to actually use
      > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have found a way
      > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

      The Rockbox system is available for 1st through 5.5th generation iPod,
      iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
      (/not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch/).

      Find it at rockbox.org.

      Cu
      Frank

    • BruceHP
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
        One of the new iPods has audio menus, but, you can load Rockbox on most iPods.

        I use a Sansa e260 with Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/

        On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM, <cbblob@...> wrote:
        > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to actually use
        > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have found a way
        > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

        ---================
        Keep Shooting!
        BruceHP@(*).com
        ==================
      • Chris Legg
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
          www.rockbox.org

        • Haverp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 26, 2009
            The Victor Reader Stream is ideal for what you are asking.

            /greg

            In a message dated 1/26/2009 3:02:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            siedlaczek@... writes:

            _cbblob@..._ (mailto:cbblob@...) wrote:

            > Hi: Has anyone come up with a way for the visually impaired to actually
            use
            > an iPod for music and audio books? Please let me know if you have found a
            way
            > to get a "speaking" ipod. Catherine

            The Rockbox system is available for 1st through 5.5th generation iPod,
            iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
            (/not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch/).

            Find it at rockbox.org.

            Cu
            Frank

            steps!
            cemailfooterNO62)

          • Haverp@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2009
              While rockbox does give some speech access, it is not designed for the
              visually impaired and is not designed for audio books. The Victor Reader is
              designed for the visuallyimpaired and solves all the problems the original poster
              was looking to solve.

              /greg

              In a message dated 1/27/2009 7:07:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              cdlegg@... writes:

              www.rockbox.www

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 28, 2009
                Haverp@... wrote:
                > While rockbox does give some speech access, it is not designed for the
                > visually impaired and is not designed for audio books. The Victor Reader is
                > designed for the visuallyimpaired and solves all the problems the original poster
                > was looking to solve.

                Maybe... But the poster was looking for a solution for his iPod, wasn't he?

                BTW: Can someone in the U.S. please shed some light on the question how
                people in the U.S. finance DAISY players and stuff like that? How does
                it work? Do you have to pay yourself or are there charities trying to
                raise the money or ... And how much is a modern DAISY player like the
                newer plextor models? Is it affordable?

                Thank you for clarification of that matter!

                Frank
              • Pete Nalda
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4 11:00 AM
                  Did you folks Know about the Accessible Ipod Nano (4th Generation)? It Uses your computer accessibility settings to read menues, and also has adjustable fonts. The menu reading is actually composed of sound files that are transferred to the ipod upon syncing. Works with Both windows and Mac.

                  HTH

                  "Egun On, Lagunak" (Basque for G'day Mates)
                  Pete Nalda

                • cbblob@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4 6:09 PM
                    After all my researching etc., I found the same solution. I received my Nano
                    4th generation and imported all my songs (after enabling "spoken menus") and
                    it works fantastic. I can even see the screen using my cctv. But best of
                    all, the menu commands are spoken and I find it easy to use. I am having a blast
                    and now wish I had purchased the 16GB instead of the 8GB. But remember, it
                    is only the "Nano 4th generation" that has the spoken menu accessibility.
                    Catherine (Rockin' in Florida now with a Nano)