Re: [magnifiers] HumanWare introduces four new portable video magnifiers for ...

  • Wayne King
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
      I might consider buying one if it was very small and had night vision capabilities.

      Haverp@... wrote: Does anyone make a portable hand held electronic magnifier for distance
      viewing? For reading signs, menu boards, etc.?

      /greg

    • Thomas Morgan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
        Hi all,
        I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a third party application ("Set Affinity") to manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i don't need to use this third party application which can be somewhat unstable.

        Also does anyone know of a program besides Set Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores in windows XP with zoomtext?

        Thanks for your help,
        Tom
      • BruceHP
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
          Try Task Manager/Processes, right click on ZT and set the Affinity.

          I doubt that this is your problem,as very few things can run in the
          2-4 cores. ZT shouldn't cause a problem on 2 to 4 core procesors.
          Maybe a bad AV program or mAlware.

          On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Thomas Morgan <tommorgan85@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a third party application ("Set Affinity") to manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i don't need to use this third party application which can be somewhat unstable.
          >
          > Also does anyone know of a program besides Set Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores in windows XP with zoomtext?
          >
          > Thanks for your help,
          > Tom

          ---================
          Keep Shooting!
          BruceHP@(*).com
          ==================
        • Thomas Morgan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
            No, zoomtext resets the task manager for ALL the processors on the computer. EVERYTHING is set to core 0. So instead of windows selecting which processors to put on each core and for the processors that can run multi threadely zoomtexts basically turns them off and disables one or 3 of my cores. The only way i can get around this is to use that set afinty program i mentioned.

            Zoomtexts 8.1 doesn't seem to have this bug, only the version of zoomtesxt i currently have 9.04 has this bug.

            > Try Task Manager/Processes, right click on ZT and set the
            > Affinity.
            >
            > I doubt that this is your problem,as very few things can
            > run in the
            > 2-4 cores. ZT shouldn't cause a problem on 2 to 4 core
            > procesors.
            > Maybe a bad AV program or mAlware.
            >

            > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Thomas Morgan
            > <tommorgan85@...> wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > > I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all
            > the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the
            > performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel
            > core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a
            > third party application ("Set Affinity") to
            > manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better
            > performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i
            > don't need to use this third party application which
            > can be somewhat unstable.
            > >
            > > Also does anyone know of a program besides Set
            > Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores
            > in windows XP with zoomtext?
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help,
            > > Tom

            > --
            > ---================
            > Keep Shooting!
            > BruceHP@(*).com
            > ==================

          • Barbara J. Milleville
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
              Hi,

              I saw a brief demo of the Sense View Duo. It does work in distance mode but
              like other electronic AT, you need to get it lined up properly. It is a bit
              larger than the Sense View. If you have suggestions on how to improve G W
              Micro's products, call Chris Park at the headquarters location. He is eager
              to learn what features we want in AT.

              Barbara

              _____

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
                In a message dated 7/16/2008 1:36:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                BarbMill1@... writes:

                saw a brief demo of the Sense View Duo. It does work in distance mode but
                like other electronic AT, you need to get it lined up properly

                Does it have a zoom function for distance viewing? If not, how usable was
                it for reading signs, distant objects like a menu above a fast food counter?

              • Barbara J. Milleville
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
                  It does have a zoom for distance viewing. I used it to successfully view a
                  sign 30 ft. away that was made of paper and had large printed type. It
                  seems like it could be used to read menus above fast food counters. Best
                  bet is for you to see it for yourself. Chris should be able to provide more
                  info also.

                  Barbara

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
                    When I attempted to Send Mesage in reply [magnifiers] Digest Number
                    1278 at the usual link "Reply to Group, this is what I received:

                    < begin text >

                    "ESPNPR@..." <ESPNPR@...>
                    To: wordsmith1776@... mailbox is for members of the media
                    only. Emails are checked periodically throughout the business day,
                    Monday-Friday, 9a-6p EST.

                    Please direct content related viewer comments to ESPNTV Viewer
                    Response at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?
                    page=contact/espntv.

                    < end text >

                    Does anyone know why this is occurring? I checked the URL for
                    "Reply to Group" and it displays as

                    http://us.mc528.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?
                    to=magnifiers@yahoogroups.com&Subject= Re%3A%20Mobile%20Magnifier%
                    20Software

                    Could the group reply been 'hijacked' by a third-party?

                    Thanks

                    Richard in Louisiana
                  • John Cunniff
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                      Dear Peter:

                      Why is ESPN user subscribed into this group? Does ESPN has to do with
                      this group? I doubt it! I find it annoying on why ESPN user sends
                      replies in subscribers' private e-mail. That is inappropriate for that.

                      Let me know who this person from ESPN and why. Thanks.

                      Johnny :)

                      --
                      John Cunniff
                      President (2008-2011)