Re: [magnifiers] HumanWare introduces four new portable video magnifiers for ...

  • Wayne King
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hi you guys,

      I find this talk of distance magnifiers very interesting. I am somewhat fearful of electronic anything because of my concern that it will fail. For reading street and bus signs, I use a very small monocular made by Specwell. Its specifications are 4x12 12.5°. What I like so much about it is that it can focus on things as close as six inches. So, it comes in handy when looking at things in glass enclosed displays. It is super tiny; about two inches long and about an inch wide! It produces amazingly clear images when focused properly. I've had it for over 20 years!

      Wayne

      I have been asking that same question for a long time I am not aware of any and I can't believe that one of the manufacturers haven't come up with one. There are a few out there that will do distance i.e. the Enhanced Vision Jordy, flipper, and Acrobat as well as the MLS Student. However these either require looking through glasses like the Jordy and Flipper; or there are several parts involved like a separate camera, arm, and screen like the Acrobat and Student. What I am looking for, and I think you are too, is an "all-in-one unit similar to the Pico, pocket Viewer or Amigo that will do distance. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something as manufacturers of cell phones and digital cameras have been doing it for years. Units that require looking through goggles are very limiting in the visual field and those that have several components can be cumbersome. I am not aware of any "all-in-one" devices out there yet.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
        I might consider buying one if it was very small and had night vision capabilities.

        Haverp@... wrote: Does anyone make a portable hand held electronic magnifier for distance
        viewing? For reading signs, menu boards, etc.?

        /greg

      • Thomas Morgan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
          Hi all,
          I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a third party application ("Set Affinity") to manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i don't need to use this third party application which can be somewhat unstable.

          Also does anyone know of a program besides Set Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores in windows XP with zoomtext?

          Thanks for your help,
          Tom
        • BruceHP
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
            Try Task Manager/Processes, right click on ZT and set the Affinity.

            I doubt that this is your problem,as very few things can run in the
            2-4 cores. ZT shouldn't cause a problem on 2 to 4 core procesors.
            Maybe a bad AV program or mAlware.

            On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Thomas Morgan <tommorgan85@...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            > I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a third party application ("Set Affinity") to manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i don't need to use this third party application which can be somewhat unstable.
            >
            > Also does anyone know of a program besides Set Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores in windows XP with zoomtext?
            >
            > Thanks for your help,
            > Tom

            ---================
            Keep Shooting!
            BruceHP@(*).com
            ==================
          • Thomas Morgan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
              No, zoomtext resets the task manager for ALL the processors on the computer. EVERYTHING is set to core 0. So instead of windows selecting which processors to put on each core and for the processors that can run multi threadely zoomtexts basically turns them off and disables one or 3 of my cores. The only way i can get around this is to use that set afinty program i mentioned.

              Zoomtexts 8.1 doesn't seem to have this bug, only the version of zoomtesxt i currently have 9.04 has this bug.

              > Try Task Manager/Processes, right click on ZT and set the
              > Affinity.
              >
              > I doubt that this is your problem,as very few things can
              > run in the
              > 2-4 cores. ZT shouldn't cause a problem on 2 to 4 core
              > procesors.
              > Maybe a bad AV program or mAlware.
              >

              > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Thomas Morgan
              > <tommorgan85@...> wrote:
              > > Hi all,
              > > I have a duel core CPU and zoomtexts seems to set all
              > the processors to Core 0. This significantly effects the
              > performance of my computer, both my work computer a Duel
              > core and my home computer which is a quad core CPU. I use a
              > third party application ("Set Affinity") to
              > manually force the affinity of the CPU to achieve better
              > performance, however is there a fix within zoomtext so i
              > don't need to use this third party application which
              > can be somewhat unstable.
              > >
              > > Also does anyone know of a program besides Set
              > Affinity that allows u to change the affinity of the cores
              > in windows XP with zoomtext?
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help,
              > > Tom

              > --
              > ---================
              > Keep Shooting!
              > BruceHP@(*).com
              > ==================

            • Barbara J. Milleville
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008

                I saw a brief demo of the Sense View Duo. It does work in distance mode but
                like other electronic AT, you need to get it lined up properly. It is a bit
                larger than the Sense View. If you have suggestions on how to improve G W
                Micro's products, call Chris Park at the headquarters location. He is eager
                to learn what features we want in AT.

                Barbara

                _____

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
                  In a message dated 7/16/2008 1:36:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  BarbMill1@... writes:

                  saw a brief demo of the Sense View Duo. It does work in distance mode but
                  like other electronic AT, you need to get it lined up properly

                  Does it have a zoom function for distance viewing? If not, how usable was
                  it for reading signs, distant objects like a menu above a fast food counter?

                • Barbara J. Milleville
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
                    It does have a zoom for distance viewing. I used it to successfully view a
                    sign 30 ft. away that was made of paper and had large printed type. It
                    seems like it could be used to read menus above fast food counters. Best
                    bet is for you to see it for yourself. Chris should be able to provide more
                    info also.

                    Barbara

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
                      When I attempted to Send Mesage in reply [magnifiers] Digest Number
                      1278 at the usual link "Reply to Group, this is what I received:

                      < begin text >

                      "ESPNPR@..." <ESPNPR@...>
                      To: wordsmith1776@... mailbox is for members of the media
                      only. Emails are checked periodically throughout the business day,
                      Monday-Friday, 9a-6p EST.

                      Please direct content related viewer comments to ESPNTV Viewer
                      Response at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?
                      page=contact/espntv.

                      < end text >

                      Does anyone know why this is occurring? I checked the URL for
                      "Reply to Group" and it displays as

                      http://us.mc528.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?
                      to=magnifiers@yahoogroups.com&Subject= Re%3A%20Mobile%20Magnifier%
                      20Software

                      Could the group reply been 'hijacked' by a third-party?

                      Thanks

                      Richard in Louisiana
                    • John Cunniff
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                        Dear Peter:

                        Why is ESPN user subscribed into this group? Does ESPN has to do with
                        this group? I doubt it! I find it annoying on why ESPN user sends
                        replies in subscribers' private e-mail. That is inappropriate for that.

                        Let me know who this person from ESPN and why. Thanks.

                        Johnny :)

                        --
                        John Cunniff
                        President (2008-2011)