Magic Lens Max 5.0 Released!

  • tonymx08
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
      Hello All,

      I am pleased to announce the release of Magic Lens Max 5.0, an unique
      state-of-the-art screen magnifier and display filter!

      Magic Lens Max is a real-time, intuitive and advanced screen
      magnifier and display filter to zoom, rotate, enhance, filter and
      capture any area or the full of screen display. With built-in highly
      optimized resampling and enhancing filters, Magic Lens Max generates
      very clear and sharp display effects to suit your visual needs in
      various situations. It can also greatly reduce screen glare with
      realistic anti-glare texture filters.

      What's New in Version 5.0:

      . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
      feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
      smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable of
      viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
      . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
      . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
      . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
      . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system

      The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB) can
      be downloaded at:
      http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
      or
      http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip

      For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the website
      at:
      http://www.visionsuit.com
    • Thomas Morgan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
        Firstly how does this compare to zoomtext?
        Does it have a font smothering capabilities?

        What does "Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards." Mean? Is this claiming that it uses graphics acceleration from the a GPU?

        "Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280" So for screens with higher resolutions than 1280 does this mean its not full screen magnification?

        Thanks,
        Tom

        tonymx08 <tonymx08@...> wrote: Hello All,

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hello Tom,

          Thank you for your message!

          I'd never tried ZoomText, but I heard from some users that the
          display effects of Magic Lens Max appeared much clearer. And
          certainly Magic Lens Max is provided with a much lower price, but
          possibly it offers some unique features that the major screen
          magnifiers including ZoomText do not have, such as rotating,
          sharpening, gamma and color levels adjustments, anti-glare texture
          filtering, zooming and rotating the lens view with mouse wheel, etc.

          Magic Lens Max generates high-quality anti-aliased zooming effects
          (both for graphics and texts) with several built-in real-time
          resampling filters, can easily acquires the "font smoothering" you
          mentioned.

          The "hardware overlay" is a hardware supported overlay surface of
          video cards used by Magic Lens Max to display the lens view through
          DirectDraw (DirectX, the version included with the system) technology
          with hardware acceleration. It is not necessary to be known by users
          because the software encapsulated it internally.

          Most importantly, Magic Lens Max generates real-time enhanced display
          effects and automatically detects the display changes on screen, if
          there are no display changes, the program takes zero CPU usage.

          Considering the full-screen magnification, you're right, the current
          version of Magic Lens Max supports the full-screen magnification with
          a screen resolution that not larger than 1280 x 1280 pixels.

          Regards,
          Tony

          --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Morgan <tommorgan85@...>
          wrote:

          > Firstly how does this compare to zoomtext?
          > Does it have a font smothering capabilities?
          >
          > What does "Supports hardware overlay of various types of video
          cards." Mean? Is this claiming that it uses graphics acceleration
          from the a GPU?

          > "Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280" So for screens with
          higher resolutions than 1280 does this mean its not full screen
          magnification?

          > Thanks,
          > Tom
          >
          > tonymx08 <tonymx08@...> wrote: Hello All,
          >
          > I am pleased to announce the release of Magic Lens Max 5.0, an
          unique
          > state-of-the-art screen magnifier and display filter!
          >
          > Magic Lens Max is a real-time, intuitive and advanced screen
          > magnifier and display filter to zoom, rotate, enhance, filter and
          > capture any area or the full of screen display. With built-in
          highly
          > optimized resampling and enhancing filters, Magic Lens Max
          generates
          > very clear and sharp display effects to suit your visual needs in
          > various situations. It can also greatly reduce screen glare with
          > realistic anti-glare texture filters.
          >
          > What's New in Version 5.0:
          >
          > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
          > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
          > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable of
          > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
          > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
          > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
          > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
          > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
          >
          > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
          can
          > be downloaded at:
          > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
          > or
          > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
          >
          > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the website
          > at:
          > http://www.visionsuit.com

        • Thomas Morgan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
            Thanks for your prompt reply.

            Direct Draw is a big problem with zoomtext as it cannot view it so this makes things very interesting to me that this application uses it.

            Am i to believe that this magnifier is compatible with applications that use direct draw? What about OpenGL?

            How much does this software use GPU acceleration? Does this put less stress on the CPU because the GPU handles the visuals?
            What is the performance difference with the hardware overlay enabled and disabled?

            What Graphics cards are supported?

            Also is there any conflicts installing this magnifier while having zoomtext installed on the same computer? Can there be negitive effects?

            Thanks,
            Tom

            tonymx08 <tonymx08@...> wrote: Hello Tom,

            wrote:

            > Firstly how does this compare to zoomtext?
            > Does it have a font smothering capabilities?
            >
            > What does "Supports hardware overlay of various types of video
            cards." Mean? Is this claiming that it uses graphics acceleration
            from the a GPU?

            > "Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280" So for screens with
            higher resolutions than 1280 does this mean its not full screen
            magnification?

            > Thanks,
            > Tom
            >
            > tonymx08 wrote: Hello All,
            >
            > I am pleased to announce the release of Magic Lens Max 5.0, an
            unique
            > state-of-the-art screen magnifier and display filter!
            >
            > Magic Lens Max is a real-time, intuitive and advanced screen
            > magnifier and display filter to zoom, rotate, enhance, filter and
            > capture any area or the full of screen display. With built-in
            highly
            > optimized resampling and enhancing filters, Magic Lens Max
            generates
            > very clear and sharp display effects to suit your visual needs in
            > various situations. It can also greatly reduce screen glare with
            > realistic anti-glare texture filters.
            >
            > What's New in Version 5.0:
            >
            > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
            > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
            > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable of
            > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
            > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
            > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
            > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
            > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
            >
            > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
            can
            > be downloaded at:
            > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
            > or
            > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
            >
            > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the website
            > at:
            > http://www.visionsuit.com

          • Thomas Morgan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
              Ok i had go and it was dreadful. I am not sure if this is a result of my display drivers because i have zoomtext installed or because of the limitations of the software.

              The refresh rate was at 20, anything under 60 is just pointless. The default setting was at 5... Desktop zoom performs better and that is a free application. It doesn't have Anti aliasing and all those other features, but no one will be able to use a magnifier with such a poor refresh rate for long periods no matter what features it has.

              My computer is:
              E6600 intel Core 2 duo
              2gb of RAM
              Gigabyte DS4 p35 motherboard
              Nvidia 8600GT
              Windows XP SP2

              wrote:

              > Firstly how does this compare to zoomtext?
              > Does it have a font smothering capabilities?
              >
              > What does "Supports hardware overlay of various types of video
              cards." Mean? Is this claiming that it uses graphics acceleration
              from the a GPU?

              > "Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280" So for screens with
              higher resolutions than 1280 does this mean its not full screen
              magnification?

              > Thanks,
              > Tom
              >
              > tonymx08 wrote: Hello All,
              >
              > I am pleased to announce the release of Magic Lens Max 5.0, an
              unique
              > state-of-the-art screen magnifier and display filter!
              >
              > Magic Lens Max is a real-time, intuitive and advanced screen
              > magnifier and display filter to zoom, rotate, enhance, filter and
              > capture any area or the full of screen display. With built-in
              highly
              > optimized resampling and enhancing filters, Magic Lens Max
              generates
              > very clear and sharp display effects to suit your visual needs in
              > various situations. It can also greatly reduce screen glare with
              > realistic anti-glare texture filters.
              >
              > What's New in Version 5.0:
              >
              > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
              > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
              > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable of
              > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
              > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
              > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
              > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
              > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
              >
              > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
              can
              > be downloaded at:
              > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
              > or
              > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
              >
              > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the website
              > at:
              > http://www.visionsuit.com

            • tonymx08
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                Hello Tom,

                You've just mistaken the "Refresh Rate" of Magic Lens Max, it is the
                frequency Magic Lens Max updates the display of lens view, just like
                the "Frame per second" (FPS) how a Video Player updates the display
                of a video window, generally a FPS value of 15 even lower looks
                smooth enough. It has nothing to do with the refresh rate of the
                video card itself as you mentioned.

                And here are some answers for your questions:

                As my testing result, Magic Lens Max works compatibly with many
                applications that use DirectDraw (non-fullscreen) and OpenGL.

                With hardware overlay Magic Lens Max generates smoother and flicker-
                free visual effects. All the most popular graphic cards such as ATI,
                NVIDIA, etc. are supported.

                Certainly there is not any conflicts installing Magic Lens Max while
                having zoomtext installed on the same computer, the
                Installation/Uninstall operations are very simple. Just have a try if
                interested.

                wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
                > > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
                > > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable
                of
                > > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
                > > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
                > > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
                > > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
                > > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
                > >
                > > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
                > can
                > > be downloaded at:
                > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
                > > or
                > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
                > >
                > > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the

              • tonymx08
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Hello Tom,

                  You've just mistaken the "Refresh Rate" of Magic Lens Max, it is the
                  frequency that Magic Lens Max updates the display of lens view, just
                  like the "Frames per second" (FPS) how a Video Player updates the

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
                  > > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
                  > > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable
                  of
                  > > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
                  > > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
                  > > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
                  > > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
                  > > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
                  > >
                  > > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
                  > can
                  > > be downloaded at:
                  > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
                  > > or
                  > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
                  > >
                  > > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the

                • Thomas Morgan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Sorry perhaps i should have phrased my question better, but the reason why i said it should be up to 60hz is so that Magic lens can use the highest possible frame rate a standard LCD can produce, which is 60 FPS. 20 FPS is just ridiculous, and it is not smooth. A standard TV show which has a frame rate of 24-30 FPS has to use an array of motion blur and a split frames sequence to make the images and scenes smooth. Video games like playstation and xbox synch the frame rates to the hz of the television to provide a smooth feel.

                    Because the nature of a magnifier is that you are heavily zoomed in, a refresh rate, or FPS is very important as small movements of the mouse moves the entire screen and jagged movements cause eye fatigue.

                    So was the experience i had with Magic Lens normal? Or was there a conflict with my computer, either software or hardware?

                    Thanks
                    Tom.

                    I am very interested in this product still because it can view OpenGL and Direct Draw programs, so i hope there is a way to fix my problems with this software.

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > . Supports hardware overlay of various types of video cards. This
                    > > feature makes Magic Lens Max an unique state-of-the-art tool with
                    > > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely capable
                    of
                    > > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
                    > > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
                    > > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
                    > > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
                    > > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
                    > >
                    > > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54 MB)
                    > can
                    > > be downloaded at:
                    > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
                    > > or
                    > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
                    > >
                    > > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the

                  • tonymx08
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                      Hello Tom,

                      In my opinion, a screen magnifier should cost as less CPU usage as
                      possible, because while we are using a screen magnifier, we are not
                      using the magnifier itself, we are using the other applications
                      through it. The higher Refresh Rate (Frame Rate) is, the more CPU
                      usage the magnifier will take, and more possibly the other
                      applications will be slowed down.

                      So I can say that a screen magnifier should first generates smooth
                      enough display effects, and use lower Refresh Rate if needed,
                      especially on a computer with low hardware performance. Are you sure
                      ZoomText or other screen maginfiers use a Refresh Rate of 60 or more?

                      Even a user had reported that when the Refresh Rate was set to 10,
                      Magic Lens Max run smoothly on his very old machine: PIII 800 hz, 256
                      Mb of RAM, a NVIDIA graphic card with 64 Mb video RAM.

                      Sincerely,

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      with
                      > > > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely
                      capable
                      > of
                      > > > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
                      > > > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
                      > > > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
                      > > > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
                      > > > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
                      > > >
                      > > > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54
                      MB)
                      > > can
                      > > > be downloaded at:
                      > > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
                      > > > or
                      > > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
                      > > >
                      > > > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the

                    • Thomas Morgan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                        60hz LCD screens by definition can only display 60 FPS. If a magnifier goes beyond this it will in fact look less smooth because it would be out of synch with the LCD.

                        About the refresh rate of zoomtext and other magnification programs, i can say that zoomtext FPS has decreased from version 8. As version 8 was less CPU intensive it was able to have a higher FPS. Version 9 of zoomtext brought in Xfont, which takes a lot of CPU usage and perhaps that is why it has a lower FPS. I will however email them and ask them whether it is possible to increase this option for people with high end equipment.

                        Luna screen magnifier i believe to be the most smooth windows magnifier but it suffers from bad imagine quality and poor font smothering. Magic, i honestly haven't looked at it for a year or so, so i can't say for sure if it has improved, but generally Magic has better FPS but poorer imagine and font quality.

                        The greatest screen magnifier in terms of performance and image quality would be the one used in Linux, where it uses the compiz 3D graphics acceleration via OpenGL, which is handled exclusively by the graphics card and leaves the CPU unaffected.

                        For a program stating it uses "state of the art' technology but doesn't take full potential of current or even dated computer hardware i find somewhat perplexing. Why advertise a program as an advance application if it can easily be handled by technology almost 10 years old.

                        This Magic lens (sounds similar to Magic by freedom scientific by the way) has some potential, but the user of the application should have more control. I can understand your belief that a screen magnifier should be discrete, but in the end the user should decide, i myself believe user experience is what is most important. What use is a fast computer if i am unable to use it for long periods of time due to eye fatigued from poor frame rates?

                        At the moment i see very little difference between this application and Desktop Zoom, i would advise anyone wanting a cheap, or portable / second magnifier to try desktop zoom as a free alternative.

                        Its free, created by volunteers and doesn't need to be installed to be used.

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        with
                        > > > smoother and flicker-free visual effects, now completely
                        capable
                        > of
                        > > > viewing any layered or transparent windows underneath the lens
                        > > > . Reduces screen glare with realistic anti-glare texture filters
                        > > > . Allows adjusting the brightness and contrast of lens view
                        > > > . Supports the maximum lens size of 1280 x 1280 pixels
                        > > > . Fixed the settings saving issue while rebooting the system
                        > > >
                        > > > The free trial version of Magic Lens Max 5.0 (File Size: 3.54
                        MB)
                        > > can
                        > > > be downloaded at:
                        > > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.exe
                        > > > or
                        > > > http://www.visionsuit.com/MagicLensMaxSetup.zip
                        > > >
                        > > > For more information about Magic Lens Max, please visit the

                      • tonymx08
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 12, 2008
                          And there are still Virtual Magnifying Glass (Open source), Magical
                          Glass (Free), etc. are all well-done FREE jobs.