AT and custom settings

  • Julie Schiller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
      Hello Screen Magnifier Users,

      The BBC is striving to create usable and accessible products to share
      its programmes and content with everyone. In an effort to bring new
      technologies to our sites and ensure a pleasant user experience we're
      considering introducing microformats.

      We are looking to the AT user communities to gain feedback on whether
      you turn on tool tips such as those shown here:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/london
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b7zcf/comingup

      Lastly, I want to welcome your thoughts on whether microformats are good
      or bad for the AT user community. Thank you for your time and I look
      forward to hearing from you soon!

      Sincerely,
      Julie Schiller
      UX&D

      BBC Future Media & Technology
      BC5 A3, Broadcast Centre:
      201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TQ

      T: 0208 008 4381 (Ext 0284381)

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/

    • Verhoeven, Peter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2008
        Hi Julie,

        I don't know what you mean exactly?
        Do you mean the tooltips at "BBC Progammes" and "Beta" for example?

        Peter Verhoeven
        http://www.magnifiers.org

        > Hello Screen Magnifier Users,
        >
        > The BBC is striving to create usable and accessible products
        > to share its programmes and content with everyone. In an
        > effort to bring new technologies to our sites and ensure a
        > pleasant user experience we're considering introducing microformats.
        >
        > We are looking to the AT user communities to gain feedback on
        > whether you turn on tool tips such as those shown here:
        >
        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/london
        > <http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/london>
        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b7zcf/comingup
        > <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b7zcf/comingup>
        >
        > Lastly, I want to welcome your thoughts on whether
        > microformats are good or bad for the AT user community. Thank
        > you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Julie Schiller
        > UX&D
        >
        > BBC Future Media & Technology
        > BC5 A3, Broadcast Centre:
        > 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TQ
        >
        > T: 0208 008 4381 (Ext 0284381)
        >
        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/ <http://www.bbc.co.uk/> This e-mail
        > (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
        > personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless
        > specifically stated.
        > Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor
        > act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.

        Visit Oce at drupa! Register online now: <http://drupa.oce.com>

        This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

        If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

        If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

        Thank you for your co-operation.
      • Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
          Julie Schiller wrote:
          > The BBC is striving to create usable and accessible products to share
          > its programmes and content with everyone. In an effort to bring new
          > technologies to our sites and ensure a pleasant user experience we're
          > considering introducing microformats.

          For those who don't know, microformats are (roughly speaking) a way of
          annotating the code of webpages so that machine processors (such as web
          browsers, browser add-ons, search engines, potentially assistive
          technology) can extract the data on them.

          For example, a webpage might have a client's contact details on it.
          There's a microformat called hCard which the developer of the webpage
          could use to annotate those contact details so that (for example) a
          browser addon could allow you to drag and drop the contact details onto
          your address book.

          See http://microformats.org/ for more information.

          You can read more about the BBC's specific efforts and some of their
          concerns here:

          http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/05/microformats_and_accessibility.shtml

          --
          Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
        • Verhoeven, Peter
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
            Hi Benjamin,

            If they are on those BBC websites. My screenreader Supernova do not
            expect them.

            Peter Verhoeven