monocular replacement

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2008
      I've just lost my monocular (curse you, Indian Jones 4) and was thinking
      about using a digital camera instead... Chiefly I have used a monocular to
      read street signs, look at power point presentations, and just generally
      look at stuff that's far away for brief periods of time. Does anyone use a
      garden variety digital camera for things like this? If so, what kind?

      I guess any 10x one that has half decent battery life should do?

      I'm wondering if the camera's larger screen (larger than a monocular's
      eyepiece) could make it more useful than a monocular?

      Thanks for any thoughts.

      Kevin

    • Barbara J. Milleville
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2008
        Hi Kevin,

        I have a Nikon S50 compact digital camera with 3x zoom and 3 in. monitor.
        You don�t say what your vision is like but this camera does help me (high
        partial) see street signs. You can zoom in and get larger clear images of
        signs but the downside is that the display can be hard to see in daylight.
        Mine would not work very well viewing PowerPoint presentations due to the
        large amount of detail that is often times present on slides. Battery life
        is important; get a spare. I highly recommend the larger 3 in. monitor. A
        10x camera might be more useful but that adds weight and size which means
        I�m less likely to carry it around. A benefit of a digital camera vs. a
        monocular is that you can save images and view them later (enlarged if
        desired). On the other hand, a monocular is more durable, smaller and costs
        much less. If possible, take a friend or camera shop�s digital camera for a
        spin and see if it meets your needs. Another option would be to consider
        purchasing the SenseView Duo which has two cameras � one for close-up
        reading; the other for viewing objects eight feet or farther away. Let us
        know how things go.

        On another topic, has anyone bought the Eschenbach MaxTV glasses? If so,
        what do you think?

        Barbara

        _____

        I've just lost my monocular (curse you, Indian Jones 4) and was thinking
        about using a digital camera instead... Chiefly I have used a monocular to
        read street signs, look at power point presentations, and just generally
        look at stuff that's far away for brief periods of time. Does anyone use a
        garden variety digital camera for things like this? If so, what kind?

        I guess any 10x one that has half decent battery life should do?

        I'm wondering if the camera's larger screen (larger than a monocular's
        eyepiece) could make it more useful than a monocular?

        Thanks for any thoughts.

        Kevin

        Checked by AVG.
        6:49 PM

        Checked by AVG.
        7:27 AM

      • Kevin Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2008
          Thanks for taking the time to write me back, Barbara.

          Wow the Senseview Duo looks neat, but 1300 seems a little steep. Especially
          since I could get a camera for a lot loss.

          I would need more than 3X. 8 or 10 should do it for me.

          I dunno, I think it's time to bite the bullet and get another monocular.
          This will be my third in the last 5 years!

          Thanks again.

          Kevin