RE: [magnifiers] any real alternative to zoomtext?

  • Verhoeven, Peter
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
      Do you ever try Lunar from Dolpin at:
      http://www.yourdolphin.com/productdetail.asp?id=3

      Peter Verhoeven

      > hi
      > i have used zoomtext for many years, but the performance has
      > been worse and worse, with every single new version, and now
      > i have hat enouth. i often use a lot of progams at once
      > (word, firefox, visual studio and so on) and zoomtext makes
      > everything run painfully slow (i use a dell latitude d820
      > with 1.5 gb ram)
      >
      > so is there an alternative? i am not using any fancy features
      > like speech and so on, i just need a high performance full
      > screen magnifier.
      >
      > i hope somone can help (else i am afraid zoomtext may drive me to
      > insanity)
      >
      > thanks

      This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

      If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

      If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

      Thank you for your co-operation.
    • Rui Cruz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
        Or MAGic from Freedom Scientific:
        http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/lv/magic-bl-product-page.asp

        --
        Rui Cruz
        Tel: +351 96 827 1502

      • Verhoeven, Peter
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
          Hi Rui,

          MAGic is much slower than Zoomtext.

          Peter Verhoeven

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
            On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Verhoeven, Peter <peter.verhoeven@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Rui,
            >
            > MAGic is much slower than Zoomtext.
            >
            > Peter Verhoeven

            I disagree.
            You have 10 seconds to open Lunar, and MAGic open in 5. With a network
            instalation, its even worse.

            But the best is to give all alternatives and he can decide. :)

            --
            Rui Cruz
            Tel: +351 96 827 1502

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008

              Welcome to the club |,/ I use ZoomText as well but I always have DesktopZoom
              ready to backup in case of insane performance (e.g. drawing UML in Together
              or working over an UltraVNC connection). DesktopZoom doesn't suffer from any
              performance issues, because it has no features; it only magnifies full
              screen and it tracks the mouse. Hope this helps you in your struggle. Please
              post back any other solutions that you may find.

              Kind regards,
              Bas

              --
              Bas Cancrinus

              Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56
              Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

            • Matthew Sullivan
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008
                I'm in the same boat but unfortunately don't have any suggestions other than
                to go insane. Zoomtext has got progressively more CPU intrusive and with
                certain Java heavy applications (ie business objects, Lotus Sametime) it
                just doesn't work at all. I'll give the posted suggestions a whirl
                though....

                On 06/03/2008, noeyewar <kennethbrodersen@...> wrote:

                > hi
                > i have used zoomtext for many years, but the performance has been
                > worse and worse, with every single new version, and now i have hat
                > enouth. i often use a lot of progams at once (word, firefox, visual
                > studio and so on) and zoomtext makes everything run painfully slow (i
                > use a dell latitude d820 with 1.5 gb ram)
                >
                > so is there an alternative? i am not using any fancy features like
                > speech and so on, i just need a high performance full screen magnifier.
                >
                > i hope somone can help (else i am afraid zoomtext may drive me to
                > insanity)
                >
                > thanks

              • tonymx08
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 25, 2008
                  Hi noeyewar,

                  Just have a try with the newly released Magic Lens Max 4.0, it provides
                  full-screen magnification with very clear/sharp zooming effects, if you
                  choose the fastest "Nearest" resampling filter or choose a lower
                  refresh rate, the program takes few CPU usage.

                  Magic Lens Max works in a real-time mode and automatically detects the
                  display changes on screen, if there are no display changes on screen,
                  the program takes zero CPU usage, so the other applications will not be
                  slowed down.

                  You can find the detailed information and the download link of free
                  trial version at:
                  http://www.visionsuit.com/index.html

                  --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "noeyewar" <kennethbrodersen@...>