ZoomText and Vista

  • John Cunniff
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hello, Everybody,

      I would like to ask you a question.

      If I purchase a brand-new computer that comes out with Windows Vista,
      will ZoomText 7.11 still be operable and in working order to run under
      Windows Vista?

      I still uses ZoomText 7.11 under Windows XP on a loan computer after
      mine paralyzed many times after a crash.

      Thanks.

      Johnny :)

      --
      John Cunniff
      President (2008-2011)

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
          I would only buy a new computer if it could be purchased with XP!

          On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM, John Cunniff <johnc@...> wrote:
          > Hello, Everybody,
          >
          > I would like to ask you a question.
          >
          > If I purchase a brand-new computer that comes out with Windows Vista,
          > will ZoomText 7.11 still be operable and in working order to run under
          > Windows Vista?
          >
          > I still uses ZoomText 7.11 under Windows XP on a loan computer after
          > mine paralyzed many times after a crash.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Johnny :)
          >
          > --
          > John Cunniff
          > President (2008-2011)
          > Deaf-Blind Contact Center
          > johnc@...

          ---================
          Keep Shooting!
          BruceHP@(*).com
          ==================
        • Haverp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
            I recently purchased a new computer with windows Vista on it, upgrading from
            my windows 98 computer with zoomtext 7 on it. You have to upgrade to
            zoomtext 9.1, but it operates fine on Vista. Overall I think Vista works very well
            for me. Sometimes Zoomtext doesn't track to windows and dialog boxes which
            open automatically and sometimes it does, sometiems it reds the contents of a
            dialog box and sometimes it doesn't, but it is stable, Vista works well,
            once you get used to it it is very easy. A few hot keys are different, which
            makes going back and forth from my windows 98 machine to my vista machine a
            little confusing when I tend to use the wrong hot key combos.

            /greg

            2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

          • Thomas Morgan
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              I have both Vista and XP and i have to say vista works quite well with zoomtext 9.1. But windows XP is a much better operating system, its faster on all computers, much more stable and zoomtext works flawlessly on XP. Havery u should upgrade your vista setup to windows XP. After a windows 98 setup im sure vista feels great, but its nowhere near as stable as XP.

              Just because vista is new doesn't make it a better operating system. The extra features that vista has have are all but been disabled by zoomtext, including the aero interface the added mulit threaded support is somewhat killed off by zoomtext as well because of its high processor usage.

              U can still get a dell with xp, and any small computer shop will have XP and also sell computers at a much more cheaply than the large shops.

              Good luck :)

              Haverp@... wrote: I recently purchased a new computer with windows Vista on it, upgrading from

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                You can change the hotkeys, in both versions of Zoomtext, I believe.
                Not sure about 7.x.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                  _tommorgan85@..._ (mailto:tommorgan85@...) writes:

                  U can still get a dell with xp, and any small computer shop will have XP and
                  also sell computers at a much more cheaply than the large shops.

                  This is true, I looked into this when considering my purchase largely
                  because of your recommendaton, but you'll spend a lot more money, all the factiory
                  pre-built computer packages come with Vista Home Premium. Is it worth
                  spending another 500-600 bucks to get the same machine with XP? I think I made
                  the right choice for my needs and budget constraints.

                  Vista works fine. I've have not have one single stability issue yet. The
                  only disadvatage is that zoomtext 7 in windows 98 tracked new windows and
                  dialog boxes better. Sometimes boxes open up outside of the magnified view.
                  There's probabl some way to set up and audio cue, but I have looked into it yet.

                  One great advatage of Vista, I don't know if this is in XP or not, is that I
                  can set up an account for my wife that opens up with settings that suit her.
                  She is not visually impaired and does not need the contrast and
                  magnification settings that I use.

                  /greg

                • John Cunniff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Dear Greg,

                    Hello! Thank you very much for your feedback about ZoomText and Vista.
                    My understanding that it is clear to me that ZoomText 7.1 or 7.11 won't
                    work in Vista, how sad!!! That means I have to purchase the copy which
                    is NOT free (I do not have the original license, though.) So, anyway,
                    hey, I am letting you know that not only the problem in Vista that you
                    mentioned of not tracking in dialog boxes or contents that opens
                    automatically. I run Windows XP with ZoomText 9.0 from work's computer.
                    I have the similar problem as you mentioned about not tracking the
                    Dialog boxes and other stuff like that. Like today, when I closed
                    Microsoft Word, it didn't track a "Yes" button so, I had to move from an
                    X button downward to the middle and look for a dialog box, I find "No"
                    to discard the empty document, grin. So, I feel fine to go ahead for
                    upgrading from 7.11 to 9.1 before I purchase a new computer. Oh well.

                    Bruce: I agree with yo that I would not purchase a new computer with
                    Windows Vista in it either! :)

                    Everybody: Thanks for your feedbacks on the computer and ZoomText
                    accessibility issues.

                    I appreciated your help.

                    Have a nice day.

                    Johnny :)

                    --
                    John Cunniff
                    President (2008-2011)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                      --- Loy <loyrg2845@...> wrote:

                      > No 7.11 will not run on Vista. I could not even run
                      > 7.11 on my XP computer.

                      I had 7.11 running on XP fine. Say "had" because I
                      sold that xp machine and got a Mac.

                      "Egun On, Lagunak" (Basque for G'day Mates)
                      Pete Nalda

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?