Let's talk about serious magnifiers!

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
      Hello list,

      After all our discussions about free/cheap/proof-of-concept magnifiers I'd
      like to catch up with you on the real thing, i.e.

      - ZoomText 9.1
      - MAGic 10.5
      - Lunar 8.02

      I upgraded some time ago from ZoomText 9.0 to 9.1, because it supports dual
      screen magnification. This feature saves me so much time that it was worth
      the price. However, my top prio bug, which I reported back in 2006 to Ai^2,
      is still not resolved. I expected them to have fixed it by now, but nothing
      happened so far. This bug is as follows:

      When I open a command prompt window then ZoomText doesn't track the cursor.
      To enable tracking I must deactivate and then reactivate ZoomText (Alt-Del,
      Alt-Ins) while the command prompt window is active.

      Furthermore ZoomText still becomes a resource hog in combination with some
      (Java) apps. Examples are UltraVNC Viewer and Poseidon UML.

      Please share your opinions! I'm especially interested in daily experiences
      with the current Lunar and MAGic. What are your top prio bugs? What are the
      benefits of your latest upgrade? Shoot!!

      Kind regards,
      Bas

      --
      Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
      Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

      Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

    • John Cunniff
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
        Hello, Bas!

        In a message you wrote:

        When I open a command prompt window then ZoomText doesn't track the cursor.
        To enable tracking I must deactivate and then reactivate ZoomText (Alt-Del,
        Alt-Ins) while the command prompt window is active.

        Yes, I have ZoomText 9.0 from work PC, and I have had experienced the similar problem as you described. I found it very annoying, when I type a DOS command, for example, 'telnet hostname.com' and the cursor won't be trackable. So, I simply have to move my mouse pointer to find a cursor where I last typed! It's annoying. I wish that AiSquared would fix a bug in the next release of ZoomText in respect of DOS user!

        John Cunniff
        President (2008-2011)
        Deaf-Blind Contact Center
        johnc@...
      • BruceHP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
          Why not use the "Run Box" where tracking does work?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
            Bruce,

            I have never heard of "Run Box" what's that? How would I find one?

            Thanks.

            --
            John Cunniff
            President (2008-2011)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
              On 1/20/08, John Cunniff <johnc@...> wrote:

              > Bruce,
              >
              > I have never heard of "Run Box" what's that? How would I find one?
              >
              > Thanks.

              I think he's talking about Start > Run option. on that option you cam run
              severall commands, such as WINWORD for MS Office Word, cmd for command
              proumpt, and so on.

              --
              Rui Cruz
              Tel: +351 96 8271502

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                The "Windows Key" + R.

                For thoughts? of you with vista, try the "Windows Key" + X.

                BTW, what are you running in DOS?

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                  Bruce,

                  Thank you. I got it.

                  I am running telnet program in DOS.

                  --
                  John Cunniff
                  President (2008-2011)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
                    Hi Bas,

                    Lunar is tracking well the cursor in command windows, but like with all
                    those magnifiers you mention here, nothing new and less improved last
                    years.

                    Java, Citrix, direct draw to the screen like in Microsoft Frontpage 2003
                    all remain difficult to access with a screen magnifier and impossible
                    with speech and braille.

                    Peter Verhoeven

                    > Hello list,
                    >
                    > After all our discussions about free/cheap/proof-of-concept
                    > magnifiers I'd like to catch up with you on the real thing, i.e.
                    >
                    > - ZoomText 9.1
                    > - MAGic 10.5
                    > - Lunar 8.02
                    >
                    > I upgraded some time ago from ZoomText 9.0 to 9.1, because it
                    > supports dual screen magnification. This feature saves me so
                    > much time that it was worth the price. However, my top prio
                    > bug, which I reported back in 2006 to Ai^2, is still not
                    > resolved. I expected them to have fixed it by now, but
                    > nothing happened so far. This bug is as follows:
                    >
                    > When I open a command prompt window then ZoomText doesn't
                    > track the cursor.
                    > To enable tracking I must deactivate and then reactivate
                    > ZoomText (Alt-Del,
                    > Alt-Ins) while the command prompt window is active.
                    >
                    > Furthermore ZoomText still becomes a resource hog in
                    > combination with some
                    > (Java) apps. Examples are UltraVNC Viewer and Poseidon UML.
                    >
                    > Please share your opinions! I'm especially interested in
                    > daily experiences with the current Lunar and MAGic. What are
                    > your top prio bugs? What are the benefits of your latest
                    > upgrade? Shoot!!
                    >
                    > Kind regards,
                    > Bas
                    >
                    > --
                    > Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
                    > Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56
                    >
                    > Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

                    This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

                    If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

                    If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

                    Thank you for your co-operation.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
                      Hi Peter,

                      A few questions about Lunar:
                      - Does Lunar support dual screen magnification?
                      - What are the benefits/drawbacks of the Lunar USB drive in comparison with
                      the ZoomText equivalent [1]?

                      Magnification of Java AWT seems, despite the rich javax.accessibility API
                      [2] and the Access Bridge component [3], difficult in ZoomText. However,
                      improvements in recent years are remarkable. Have you noticed any
                      improvements with Lunar as well?

                      I haven't used any Citrix products for a while. According to their web site
                      current products are Section 508 compliant [4]. What are your experiences
                      with current Lunar and Citrix products?

                      Kind regards,
                      Bas

                      [2]
                      http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/accessibility/package-summary.html
                      [3] http://java.sun.com/products/accessbridge/
                      [4]
                      http://www.citrix.com/English/SS/supportThird.asp?slID=162512&tlID=162514

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
                        Hi Bas,

                        I'm not using Lunar, but Supernova (braille with magnification).
                        I tried other combinations like ZoomText with Window-eyes, but they
                        didn't perform and conflict often.

                        Lunar does not support dual screen magnification and most important
                        drawback of using a professional screen magnifier on an USB is, that you
                        need administration permission to install special driver software.

                        Java support in Lunar is very bad and it was always better in Zoomtext.
                        But most Java programmers does not program accessible applications.

                        To get access to Citrix screen reader software has to be installed on
                        the Citrix server. This maybe a "solution" for someone only using one
                        application and one Citrix server. but not for people like me, working
                        in the ICT and have to access multiple Citrix server.

                        Also with remote desktop access to servers with a professional screen
                        magnifier is the same as with the simplest screen magnifiers, Nothing is
                        tracked only the magnified area around your mouse cursor.

                        Microsoft also claims section 508 compliant, but Frontpage 2003 is
                        inaccessible to people using speech or braille.

                        I realy ask myself what companies like AiSquared, Dolphin, Freedom
                        Scientific and GW-Micro are working on?

                        Maybe new companies have better answers to our access needs.

                        For example:

                        If you login to GMail with a screen reader you get a message saying that
                        you can better use simple HTML version. In that version you can read
                        your messages, but you can not access the settings tab to change
                        options.
                        With a screen magnifier it is also difficult and time consuming to find
                        what kind of tabs there are, because nothing is tracked. All
                        professional screen magnifiers work on the old Windows user interface
                        concept, not on new graphical interface concept.

                        Google has visually impaired employees working on accessibility, but in
                        my opinion it has no priority at all. Also Google shall claim section
                        508 compliant. It does not say anything!

                        Peter Verhoeven