Re: [magnifiers] JAWS license not developer friendly

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi Rui,

      Are you sure that FS doesn't have a developer program with parallel
      licensing instead? FS wouldn't be a serious market player today if
      development against their products was prohibited imho.

      Kind regards,
      Bas

      On Jan 11, 2008 11:24 PM, Rui Cruz <ruicruz@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > recent, and quite popular, article on using JAWS to evaluate web
      > content<http://webaim.org/articles/jaws/>again makes this
      > recommendation.
      >
      > The demo version (which runs for 40 minutes per session) can be a valuable
      > tool for web developers to not only ensure their content is accessible,
      > but
      > also compatible with this, the most popular of screen readers. The ability
      > for every day web developers to test *actual* accessibility of their web
      > content is not only important, but has greatly increased the accessibility
      > of web content for blind users.
      >
      > We were recently apprised that the licensing agreement for the trial
      > version
      > of JAWS states:
      >
      > … these demonstration or evaluation licenses are not permitted for
      > purposes
      > of development and testing of JAWS scripts, applications, HTML coding, or
      > other Web Based code.
      >
      > In other words, *you cannot use the demo version of JAWS for web
      > evaluation*.
      > In fact, you can't even use the demo version of JAWS to determine how well
      > the full version could be used for accessibility evaluation.
      >
      > Screen readers are *very* complicated pieces of software. As such, it is
      > mostly understandable that they are so expensive ($895 for the standard
      > version of JAWS). For many developers, the limitations of the demo would
      > facilitate purchasing a license. And certainly the fact that the demo
      > version of JAWS has been used for accessibility evaluation (obviously
      > despite the licensing terms) has resulted in a great number of JAWS
      > purchases.
      >
      > But for other developers, particularly those that would perform only basic
      > or occasional JAWS testing, the cost is not justifiable. The licensing
      > terms
      > for JAWS hurt these developers' ability to create accessible web content
      > for
      > blind users. Such limitations are not apparent in demo versions of other
      > screen readers, including Window Eyes.
      >
      > With technology advancing, the ability for developers to use screen
      > readers
      > to evaluate web content is increasing. Indeed, with some web technologies,
      > such as Flash, AJAX, and PDF, screen reader testing is about the
      > *ONLY*mechanism available for true evaluation.
      >
      > If Freedom Scientific has an interest in ensuring that their audience -
      > screen reader users with disabilities - continue to be provided with
      > accessible materials from the developer community, it would be incumbent
      > upon them to modify their licensing terms to allow basic evaluation by
      > developers or to provide a more reasonably priced license for developers
      > who
      > would use JAWS only rarely for accessibility testing.
      >
      > If you would like to see a license change or version that allows testing,

      Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
      Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

      Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

    • Rui Cruz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2008
        On 1/13/08, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rui,
        >
        > Are you sure that FS doesn't have a developer program with parallel
        > licensing instead? FS wouldn't be a serious market player today if
        > development against their products was prohibited imho.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Bas

        Hi,

        No idea of that, lol. I just paste this from webaim.

        But if that is on the licence (I beliheve they're serious people so I dont
        the licence yet) they have two optiosn:
        - ignore the licence
        - get another version "for devolopers" or someting like that

        That I dont know...

        --
        Rui Cruz
        Tel: +351 96 8271502

      • testpartners
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2008
          --- In magnifiers@yahoogroups.com, "Rui Cruz" <ruicruz@...> wrote:

          > On 1/13/08, Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Rui,
          > >
          > > Are you sure that FS doesn't have a developer program with
          parallel
          > > licensing instead? FS wouldn't be a serious market player today
          if
          > > development against their products was prohibited imho.
          > >
          > > Kind regards,
          > > Bas
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > No idea of that, lol. I just paste this from webaim.
          >
          > But if that is on the licence (I beliheve they're serious people
          so I dont
          > the licence yet) they have two optiosn:
          > - ignore the licence
          > - get another version "for devolopers" or someting like that
          >
          > That I dont know...
          >

          > --
          > Rui Cruz
          > Tel: +351 96 8271502
          > Fax: +351 66 96 827 1502
          > http://ruicruz.forunsbb.com

          The WebAIM blog is not entirely correct, and I have responded there.
          You can use the demo version to assess whether the full version
          would be suitable for testing.

          With regard to parallel licensing, you can buy a version of JAWS
          that has a dongle. This allows you to install JAWS on as many
          machines as you like but you can only use it on the machine that has
          the dongle. We use this version in our Test Centre. It costs the
          same as the normal version.

          Nevertheless I would like to see a developer version of JAWS that
          only supports web browsing and perhaps has other limitation such as
          not supporting alternative voices. I wonder how much developers
          would be prepared to pay though.

          Steve
          http://www.labscape.co.uk