Re: [magnifiers] Buying a new computer system

  • Rui Cruz
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007

      > Peter Verhoeven wrote:
      > > Hi Rui,
      > > Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading from
      > Windows
      > > 2000 to XP instead of to Vista.
      > > The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP
      > instead of
      > > Vista.

      If I say "jump" you say "allright!"?
      Hahaha.

      The point is they will EVENTUALLY update to Vista, and since he have
      allready the updates, its better to switch already to Windows Vista.

      --
      Rui Cruz
      Tel: +351 96 8271502

    • Frank Siedlaczek
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
        Rui Cruz wrote:
        >> Peter Verhoeven wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi Rui,
        >>> Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading fromWindows 2000 to XP instead of to Vista.The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP instead of Vista.
        >>>

        > If I say "jump" you say "allright!"?
        > Hahaha.

        You rather jump if Billy feels like it? :-)))

        > The point is they will EVENTUALLY update to Vista, and since he have
        > allready the updates, its better to switch already to Windows Vista.

        Why do you think so? Why go through all the hassle of eliminating bugs
        for Microsoft? I bought muy computer to actually use it for something
        productive. And companies cannot afford to go fishing for bugs instead
        of doing their actual work. I know companies that are really still using
        Windows 95 machines. At least a small number of machines. Sounds
        horrible, I admit, but they stick with these systems because the
        applications they run on it had been written for win95. And they work
        like a charme. Why bother migrating them to Windows-whatever and go
        through the pain of experiencing that it maybe doesn't work properly on
        these systems? It justs works fine for them. Why the heck change
        anything? And no, to be among the firsts to suffer from severe
        shortcomings in a new operating system is not my cup of tea. And please,
        what's Vista offering for us low-vision people anyway?

        The other day a friend of mine called me. He's that kind of guy who
        tries out everything with his computer. He downloaded the newest version
        of ICQ, MSN Messenger and DirectX. He was wondering why his system
        doesn'T boot up anymore. Well, I don'T know the exect cause, but when I
        asked him, why he installed DirectX 9.xxx for example, he told me there
        had been no special need to install it. He had been just curious what it
        would do with his system. I don't know how many times he formatted and
        reinstalled everything on his computer. He doesn't even make images
        after a clean install. Sorry, these guys need a toy, not a computer.

        Regards
        Frank
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
          Gentlemen,

          After reading your interesting discussion I'd like to share the following
          observations.

          Two of my friends recently bought a new notebook which shipped with Vista.
          One went for Acer and the other for HP. I asked them several times how Vista
          was in practice and they both didn't complain. The only thing they mentioned
          was that it took some time to get used to the new look and feel.

          The PC peripherals that I recently bought have a Vista logo printed on their
          package, which means that their drivers passed the Microsoft certification
          procedure.

          All the big names are shipping their hardware with Vista for a year now, so
          how bad can it be? Are all those horror stories made up by people who
          installed Vista on their five year old P4, did they buy a toy (€ 499
          "notebook") or did they buy a € 2300 Dell Precision?

          Just curious, yet have to make my first click in Vista ;-)

          Regards,
          Bas

          --
          Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
          Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

          Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

        • Thomas Morgan
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
            Buying vista on a notebook is somewhat different to a desktop because the companies who make the hardware for the laptops put heaps of resources, time and money into making excellent drivers. But most desktop hardware doesnt have the same support, and that is the main reason Vista is performing so poor compared to windows XP. The idea that windows Vista is better than Xp is rubbish, its more that Microsoft have massive contracts with companies like HP and Dell where these companies have to put windoes Vista in a good light to keep up the conditions of the contracts, its all just a publicity stunt. XP will be updated for many years to come, up until 2011 so there isnt any reason to switch, and currently its constant improvement is still going strong. Just recently the beta of SP3 (service pack 3) for XP showed a performance improvement up to 20 percent over SP2 (service pack 2), and SP2 stil out performs windows Vista in every benchmark easily. Where the Service pack 1 for
            vista (due out in a few months) only performs 1-3 percent better than the current version.

            So for productivity, performance, compatibility and stability XP is your answer.

            IF u want eye candy, the choice is easy, windows Vista. Its as simple as that.

            Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...> wrote: Gentlemen,