Buying a new computer system

  • Haverp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
      I'm preparing to buy a new comuter system to replace my beleagured windows 98

      system and have some questions I need help with. I've just purchaes vista
      compatable upgrads for my Zoomtext and Kurzweil K1000 software, but have not
      yet
      purchased a new PC. How freindly is Vista to low vision users? I've read on
      the microsoft website about see through menues. That doesn't sound like a
      good think to me. Are there high contrast setting available? Can the desktop
      and menues be set up to look like windows 98? Should I buy a computer from a
      manufacturer who still offers XP? Does the latest verson of zoomtext make
      vista low vision friendly?

      I am a musician, so for my primary needs I would like to use my new computer
      to record my own composition with multitrack recording, as well as using
      K1000
      to scan and read text, web browsing and email.

      One last question, how useful is the zoomtext keyboard?

      many thanks,

      /greg

    • Thomas Morgan
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
        Well i no u said you alread bought Vista, but perhaps u can upgrade to windows XP. Windows XP works much better with zoomtext, uses less system resources to run and if you are using expensive recording equipment like sound cards and the like then most likely they will not work very well on VIsta, if at all. The main problem with Vista is the lack of good drivers for hardware, if u got an old sound card it most likely wont work with Vista.

        But if u do have to go to vista, then high contrast settings, and what not will appear similar to windows 98. The transparent windows and menus is only available when u have areo enabled, which zoomtext disables so u wont have to worry about that. Also, make sure u get 32-bit windows Vista or XP, they may offer you a 64-bit version which doesn't work with zoomtext at all.

        For your computer, since u will be using this for audio work, i would suggest getting a Q6600 CPU, 3gb of RAM, and a 7300GT graphics card.

        Lastly, the zoomtext keyboard is nice if you are new to zoomtext, but if your familiar with the hot keys in zoomtext its a waste of money and u could spend your money on a much better keyboard for the same price.

        Goodluck,
        Tom

        Haverp@... wrote: I'm preparing to buy a new comuter system to replace my beleagured windows 98

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
          tommorgan85@... writes:

          > Also, make sure u get 32-bit windows Vista or XP, they may offer you a
          > 64-bit version which doesn't work with zoomtext at all.

          I did not know this. I was planning on buying the pre-built version of this
          computer.

          http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion&
          series_name=a6250z_series

          How do I tell if it is 32 or 64 bit version of Vsta?

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
            tommorgan85@... writes:

            > Also, make sure u get 32-bit windows Vista or XP, they may offer you a
            > 64-bit version which doesn't work with zoomtext at all.

            I don't see any mention of this problemon the aisquared website, nore did the
            sales representative at aisquare menton it when I called to upgrade to a
            vista compatable version. The sales rep also failed to mention the availablitity
            of a keybard bundled with the upgrade. I'm very confused now.

            thanks,

            /greg

          • Thomas Morgan
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
              I think u should find a good local computer store and get it built through them rather than HP or Dell. SHould work out cheaper, and you will be able to get the best parts and not having to get products thrust on u. Zoomtext's website is poor, there isnt much information on it so im not surprised u couldn't find information about 64-bit non compatibility.

              If i was you i woudlnt worry about the zoomtext keyboard, if you are proficient with zoomtext then it's a waste of money. There isn't that many hotkeys in zoomtext to memorise to begin with, certainly not enough to warrant n overpriced keyboard.

              Goodluck

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
                tommorgan85@... writes:

                > I think u should find a good local computer store and get it built through
                > them rather than HP or Dell. SHould work out cheaper, and you will be able to
                > get the best parts and not having to get products thrust on u. Zoomtext's
                > website is poor, there isnt much information on it so im not surprised u
                > couldn't find information about 64-bit non compatibility.

                My budget is limited, so the pre-built HP is attractive and the most
                affordable I've found. I'm not too concerned about hte zt keyboard, but mentioned it
                again because the aisquared telephone representatives didn't tell me about it,
                or any 64 bit cabatabilty issues. Am I correct ot assume that Vista Home
                edition is a 32 bit version even thought this HP machine has a 64 bit chip set?
                Is 3 gig of ram enough with vista and zomtext, or should I upgrade to 4 gig
                right away?

                /greg

              • Thomas Morgan
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Cheapest solution is to find a good PC store, they will be able to beat most likely HP or Dell prices, and install windows XP. Thats my advice. If u dont have the money save up more, u really dont want to be stuck with windows Vista, it wont be a improvement from windows 98 on a zoomtext computer. I cant urge more strongly to keep away from Vista.

                  I in fact use vista, and its horrible. Zoomtext crashes a lot, and the computer runs very slow. I dual boot with windows XP (have both xp and Vista on the same computer and choose which to use), when i use Xp the same computer runs much much faster than Vista and is far more stable.

                  Wait until AIS released zoomtext 10, and vista has released a couple service packs before going down the vista path.

                  Haverp@... wrote: tommorgan85@... writes:

                  > Also, make sure u get 32-bit windows Vista or XP, they may offer you a
                  > 64-bit version which doesn't work with zoomtext at all.

                  I did not know this. I was planning on buying the pre-built version of this
                  computer.

                  http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion&
                  series_name=a6250z_series

                  How do I tell if it is 32 or 64 bit version of Vsta?

                • Rui Cruz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                    Making some tweaks like disabling visual effects or change to the windows
                    classic theme give you a better usage of the SO.

                    Upgrading to Windows XP may not be an option, since from 2 years now on
                    people will not "think" XP anymore, and you will be (again) NOT updated. :-P

                    --
                    Rui Cruz
                    Tel: +351 96 8271502

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                      Hi Rui,

                      Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading from Windows
                      2000 to XP instead of to Vista.
                      The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP instead of
                      Vista.

                      Upgading to windows XP is a good option. you can better run a good stable
                      operating system without any upgrades, instead of a unstable with upgrades.

                      Also magnifiers.org recomments Windows XP if you are using a screen
                      magnifier or screen reader!

                      Peter Verhoeven
                      magnifiers.org

                      > Making some tweaks like disabling visual effects or change to
                      > the windows classic theme give you a better usage of the SO.
                      >
                      > Upgrading to Windows XP may not be an option, since from 2
                      > years now on people will not "think" XP anymore, and you will
                      > be (again) NOT updated. :-P
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rui Cruz
                      > Tel: +351 96 8271502
                      > Fax: +351 66 96 827 1502
                      > http://ruicruz.forunsbb.com <http://ruicruz.forunsbb.com>

                    • Frank Siedlaczek
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                        Peter Verhoeven wrote:
                        > Hi Rui,
                        > Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading from Windows
                        > 2000 to XP instead of to Vista.
                        > The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP instead of
                        > Vista.

                        ACK! And Microsoft will even extend the support time for Windows XP if
                        that many people are still using XP.

                        I really don't see the point of surrendering to MS' monopoly schemes
                        while there are alternatives around.

                        I will work with XP for as long as possible. There is absolutely nothing
                        in Vista which attracts me as a low-vision user. XP is great. Why use
                        Vista at all? Because the new PCs are being delivered with Vista only?
                        No. There are options to downgrade to XP and manufacturers of "new"
                        hardware will provide XP drivers for their new hardware stuff, if XP
                        keeps on being used. And most important of all: Don't let the AT vendors
                        force you to use Vista. That's ridiculous.

                        Frank
                      • Rui Cruz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007

                          > Peter Verhoeven wrote:
                          > > Hi Rui,
                          > > Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading from
                          > Windows
                          > > 2000 to XP instead of to Vista.
                          > > The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP
                          > instead of
                          > > Vista.

                          If I say "jump" you say "allright!"?
                          Hahaha.

                          The point is they will EVENTUALLY update to Vista, and since he have
                          allready the updates, its better to switch already to Windows Vista.

                          --
                          Rui Cruz
                          Tel: +351 96 8271502

                        • Frank Siedlaczek
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                            Rui Cruz wrote:
                            >> Peter Verhoeven wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Hi Rui,
                            >>> Most commercial companies are now in the process of upgrading fromWindows 2000 to XP instead of to Vista.The consumer organization in the Netherlands recomments to use XP instead of Vista.
                            >>>

                            > If I say "jump" you say "allright!"?
                            > Hahaha.

                            You rather jump if Billy feels like it? :-)))

                            > The point is they will EVENTUALLY update to Vista, and since he have
                            > allready the updates, its better to switch already to Windows Vista.

                            Why do you think so? Why go through all the hassle of eliminating bugs
                            for Microsoft? I bought muy computer to actually use it for something
                            productive. And companies cannot afford to go fishing for bugs instead
                            of doing their actual work. I know companies that are really still using
                            Windows 95 machines. At least a small number of machines. Sounds
                            horrible, I admit, but they stick with these systems because the
                            applications they run on it had been written for win95. And they work
                            like a charme. Why bother migrating them to Windows-whatever and go
                            through the pain of experiencing that it maybe doesn't work properly on
                            these systems? It justs works fine for them. Why the heck change
                            anything? And no, to be among the firsts to suffer from severe
                            shortcomings in a new operating system is not my cup of tea. And please,
                            what's Vista offering for us low-vision people anyway?

                            The other day a friend of mine called me. He's that kind of guy who
                            tries out everything with his computer. He downloaded the newest version
                            of ICQ, MSN Messenger and DirectX. He was wondering why his system
                            doesn'T boot up anymore. Well, I don'T know the exect cause, but when I
                            asked him, why he installed DirectX 9.xxx for example, he told me there
                            had been no special need to install it. He had been just curious what it
                            would do with his system. I don't know how many times he formatted and
                            reinstalled everything on his computer. He doesn't even make images
                            after a clean install. Sorry, these guys need a toy, not a computer.

                            Regards
                            Frank
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                              Gentlemen,

                              After reading your interesting discussion I'd like to share the following
                              observations.

                              Two of my friends recently bought a new notebook which shipped with Vista.
                              One went for Acer and the other for HP. I asked them several times how Vista
                              was in practice and they both didn't complain. The only thing they mentioned
                              was that it took some time to get used to the new look and feel.

                              The PC peripherals that I recently bought have a Vista logo printed on their
                              package, which means that their drivers passed the Microsoft certification
                              procedure.

                              All the big names are shipping their hardware with Vista for a year now, so
                              how bad can it be? Are all those horror stories made up by people who
                              installed Vista on their five year old P4, did they buy a toy (€ 499
                              "notebook") or did they buy a € 2300 Dell Precision?

                              Just curious, yet have to make my first click in Vista ;-)

                              Regards,
                              Bas

                              --
                              Bas Cancrinus - freelance Java-consultant
                              Mobile: +31 (0)6 50 24 57 56

                              Cancrinus ICT - www.canict.com

                            • Thomas Morgan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                                Buying vista on a notebook is somewhat different to a desktop because the companies who make the hardware for the laptops put heaps of resources, time and money into making excellent drivers. But most desktop hardware doesnt have the same support, and that is the main reason Vista is performing so poor compared to windows XP. The idea that windows Vista is better than Xp is rubbish, its more that Microsoft have massive contracts with companies like HP and Dell where these companies have to put windoes Vista in a good light to keep up the conditions of the contracts, its all just a publicity stunt. XP will be updated for many years to come, up until 2011 so there isnt any reason to switch, and currently its constant improvement is still going strong. Just recently the beta of SP3 (service pack 3) for XP showed a performance improvement up to 20 percent over SP2 (service pack 2), and SP2 stil out performs windows Vista in every benchmark easily. Where the Service pack 1 for
                                vista (due out in a few months) only performs 1-3 percent better than the current version.

                                So for productivity, performance, compatibility and stability XP is your answer.

                                IF u want eye candy, the choice is easy, windows Vista. Its as simple as that.

                                Bas Cancrinus <bascancr@...> wrote: Gentlemen,