Re: [magnifiers] portable cctv

  • Johnny Snydal
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
      Hi Amy.

      I thought I might make a suggestion. While going to school and college I also had problems seeing the blackboard, whiteboard and the overheads. I did the usual things:
      - sat in front
      - copied notes from others
      - got a photocopy of the overhead sheets
      - asked the teachers to verbalize more as they wrote
      on the boards, etc.
      - got the teachers not to erase there boards until I
      stayed . . . . and copied them down.
      - I even had a custom stand made to get my work closer
      to my face for typing.
      I graduated high school in 1977 and College in 1982. I didn't have access to any computers back then. Self correcting typewriters had just started show up at college.
      I.suggest hooking a digital camera with some zoom to your laptop. I just bought a digital camera this summer and love the zoom. I purchase a Kodak camera with optical and digital zoom 5X's. You can get more zoom too! The cameras are even cheaper now! Some great Christmas deals in the flyers right now. That would be light and portable for you to use with your laptop. You could take a picture and put it right on your laptop and use the zoom to get it big enough to see. You may be able to see the board with a Web Cam connected to your laptop? Once you get the image on your computer you could zoom in on it with Windows XP Magnifier bar for example. I don't know what vision problems you are dealing with. I have about 20/40-50 in the left eye and about 20/1000+ in the right eye. I have managed doing things with some aids and just used common sense to figure things out for myself. I have used the CNIB's help on and off over the years. Good luck and e-mail me back
      if you like. Let me know how you make out or just e-mail me to chat if you like.

      Take care Amy.

      princessamy1962 <owls_amy@...> wrote:
      Hi

      I am attending college. I have problems seeing the blackboards. One
      day I went to a low vision doctor and he suggested a portable cctv
      that might connect to my laptop. So, I was thinking about looking
      into one.
      I have a Dell laptop, with window xp home editions.

      Does anyone know of a portable cctv?

      keep in mind I am looking for swomething that is not that hea y.

      Also, I would like the cctv be able to take picture's and saved it to
      my laptop.

      thanks

      amy

      Johnny M. Snydal