portable cctv

  • princessamy1962
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
      Hi

      I am attending college. I have problems seeing the blackboards. One
      day I went to a low vision doctor and he suggested a portable cctv
      that might connect to my laptop. So, I was thinking about looking
      into one.
      I have a Dell laptop, with window xp home editions.

      Does anyone know of a portable cctv?

      keep in mind I am looking for swomething that is not that hea y.

      Also, I would like the cctv be able to take picture's and saved it to
      my laptop.

      thanks

      amy
    • Natalie Harlan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
        Check out a product called a Flipper camera. We use it in schools for this purpose and it is lightweight.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
          Hi Amy.

          I thought I might make a suggestion. While going to school and college I also had problems seeing the blackboard, whiteboard and the overheads. I did the usual things:
          - sat in front
          - copied notes from others
          - got a photocopy of the overhead sheets
          - asked the teachers to verbalize more as they wrote
          on the boards, etc.
          - got the teachers not to erase there boards until I
          stayed . . . . and copied them down.
          - I even had a custom stand made to get my work closer
          to my face for typing.
          I graduated high school in 1977 and College in 1982. I didn't have access to any computers back then. Self correcting typewriters had just started show up at college.
          I.suggest hooking a digital camera with some zoom to your laptop. I just bought a digital camera this summer and love the zoom. I purchase a Kodak camera with optical and digital zoom 5X's. You can get more zoom too! The cameras are even cheaper now! Some great Christmas deals in the flyers right now. That would be light and portable for you to use with your laptop. You could take a picture and put it right on your laptop and use the zoom to get it big enough to see. You may be able to see the board with a Web Cam connected to your laptop? Once you get the image on your computer you could zoom in on it with Windows XP Magnifier bar for example. I don't know what vision problems you are dealing with. I have about 20/40-50 in the left eye and about 20/1000+ in the right eye. I have managed doing things with some aids and just used common sense to figure things out for myself. I have used the CNIB's help on and off over the years. Good luck and e-mail me back
          if you like. Let me know how you make out or just e-mail me to chat if you like.

          Take care Amy.

          princessamy1962 <owls_amy@...> wrote:
          Hi

          I am attending college. I have problems seeing the blackboards. One
          day I went to a low vision doctor and he suggested a portable cctv
          that might connect to my laptop. So, I was thinking about looking
          into one.
          I have a Dell laptop, with window xp home editions.

          Does anyone know of a portable cctv?

          keep in mind I am looking for swomething that is not that hea y.

          Also, I would like the cctv be able to take picture's and saved it to
          my laptop.

          thanks

          amy

          Johnny M. Snydal

        • Merv Keck
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
            Freedom Scientific has the Onyx Camera which hooks into a desktop or laptop
            or a television. It comes in a variety of flavors depending on your needs
            and budget. I just bought the the onyx flex arm which comes with Magic 10.5
            (I got the version with speech and magnification), and I use it for
            everything from reading subtitles on the television, writing checks, reading
            books and magazines, zooming in on people and projects several feet away
            like my sixteen channel Alesis Mexmeister pro audio mixer and lots more. It
            breaks down and goes into a padded case with a handle about the size of a
            laptop case. When connected to the laptop via USB you can split the screen
            or view it full screen, freeze the screen, and some other cool stuff. I had
            two retina detachments this year and now have capsular fog which so far
            cannot be cleared up with a yag so it's been a valuable tool for me.

            For more info check out www.freedomscientific.com and if you decide you are
            interested in talking to someone there email me at
            dj.countrybumpkin@... and I can give you the name and extension of
            the guy who helped me. He's very good. I don't know him and I'm not a
            salesman for the company. I just know I really like this product.

            Sparrow
          • Laurie McArthur
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
              There are a number of "portable" CCTV units. Some more portable than others, and some are better at seeing at a distance than others.

              Some are specifically designed for the camera to rotate and enable significant zooming in on information at a distance, and many can also enable you to capture still images of information on a blackboard - generally through doing a "screen shot" of your laptops display.

              Other models to look at (and I'm sure there are more that I hope people will add ) are:

              Clarity - PCmate model - www.clarityusa.com
              Enhanced Vision Systems - "flipper" model - www.enhancedvision.com
              Optelec - Clearnote portable video magnifier - www.optelec.com
              Ash Technologies - ask about their distance camera. It may be only available as an add on to one of the other CCTV's - www.ashtech.ie
              Sight Enhancement Systems - WAT Cam - http://www.sightenhancement.com/watcam.html

              Hope this helps to give you a broader range of the possibilities!

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
                You may find information here useful

                http://therangerstation.blogspot.com/