Re: NVDA Free Open Source Screen Reader For Windows Reviewed

  • william keates
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
      Tried it about 2 months ago - will retry

      Agree Thunder is limited thats why train novices
      on Jaws demo but that unaffordavle for so many!

      http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
    • Carina en Peter
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi William,

        It is possible that some snapshots of NVDA are not stable, because the
        screen reader is continue in development.

        It is promising because of the active development and user community.

        NVDA works well with screen magnifiers. There seems no need anymore to
        purchase a screen magnifier with speech.

        Peter Verhoeven

        On Windows XP it seems very stable.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
          now tried NVDA updated and impressed although
          computer locked 3 times in a row when lightning
          magnifier being used. First of any of the many
          accessibility programs I have run with lightning.
          that caused a problem. Changed to Zoomtext - no
          problems with nvda. Composed letter in wordpad
          and reading etc fine as was ub the nvda help text
          files but in word would only echo letters no
          reading possible just like using narrator - read
          e mails in outlook express and web page links etc
          in firefox.

          More info seems to be possible than with other
          screen readers.

          Why the word problems?

          FROM : WILLIAM KEATES
          75 KEYNSHAM ROAD
          SOUTHAMPTON
          SO19 5EX
          UNITED KINGDOM
          TEl +44 (0)23 80422121
          FAX +44 (0) 7092 166630

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • Carina en Peter
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
            Hi William,

            Have no problems with Word 2003. Everythign is read aloud if I place my
            cursor on a line of text. You can configure word and character echo.

            Did you try it with Zoomtext turned off. I used Desktopzoom with NVDA and
            that works fine. Only a pity that Desktopzoom does not track menus and caret
            tracking is very slow at this moment.

            Peter Verhoeven

            > now tried NVDA updated and impressed although computer locked
            > 3 times in a row when lightning magnifier being used. First
            > of any of the many accessibility programs I have run with lightning.
            > that caused a problem. Changed to Zoomtext - no problems with
            > nvda. Composed letter in wordpad and reading etc fine as was
            > ub the nvda help text files but in word would only echo
            > letters no reading possible just like using narrator - read e
            > mails in outlook express and web page links etc in firefox.
            >
            > More info seems to be possible than with other screen readers.
            >
            > Why the word problems?
            >
            > FROM : WILLIAM KEATES
            > 75 KEYNSHAM ROAD
            > SOUTHAMPTON
            > SO19 5EX
            > UNITED KINGDOM
            > TEl +44 (0)23 80422121
            > FAX +44 (0) 7092 166630

            > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life,
            > your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
            > http://sims.yahoo.com/ <http://sims.yahoo.com/>

          • william keates
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
              cant see where to configure word echo etc other
              than in zoomtextwhich has this enabled

              I only have word97 but NVDA wont read documents
              in open office 2.3 nor in word2003 viewer for
              .doc or the new.docx word2007 format

              Tirning off Zoomtext no help

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
                Hi William,

                I'd strongly recommend writing to the NVDA mailing list with your NVDA
                problems rather than this list, since more NVDA users will be on that
                list, and since the NVDA developers definitely read that list but may
                not read this Magnifiers list. When you write to the NVDA list, it would
                help if you said what version of NVDA you're using and gave steps to
                reproduce your problem. Here's information about the NVDA mailing list:

                http://www.nvda-project.org/community.html

                --
                Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis