RE: [magnifiers] Re:NVDA Free Open Source Screen Reader For Windows Reviewed

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007

      What do you mean by unstable? Did you use the latest version?
      Thunder can not be compaired with NVDA. Thunder is a very restricted screen
      reader.

      Peter Verhoeven

      > I tried this but found it a little unstable - However I have
      > found Thunder from www.screenreader.net very stable although
      > it cannot use a browser like firefox and IE7 but copes well
      > with word and outlook express - novices trained on Jaws demos
      > have migrated well to Thunder free which i understand dous
      > not need the video driver intercepts. Unlike thunder which is
      > free the low cisr £99 Lightning found on that same website
      > and the usb version at aa4149 perform very well and the
      > simple intuitive interface really appeals to novice users but
      > there is only one keystroke combination ctrl and the + or
      > minus numpad keys for magnification and mouse only for choice
      > of thr 5 windows and option pluse ibvert. For real beginners
      > who are partially sighted the demo which lasts 15 days is
      > wirth tryinf. It copes better than Zoomtext on video and java
      > that causes zoomtext mpuse to whizz about on some pages is
      > absent. Oddly on Graphics programmes sometimes selected items
      > canno be properly manipulated at mouse point
      >
      > FROM : WILLIAM KEATES
      > 75 KEYNSHAM ROAD
      > SOUTHAMPTON
      > SO19 5EX
      > UNITED KINGDOM
      > TEl +44 (0)23 80422121
      > FAX +44 (0) 7092 166630

      > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with
      > Yahoo! Autos.
      > http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html <http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html>

    • william keates
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        Tried it about 2 months ago - will retry

        Agree Thunder is limited thats why train novices
        on Jaws demo but that unaffordavle for so many!

        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
      • Carina en Peter
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi William,

          It is possible that some snapshots of NVDA are not stable, because the
          screen reader is continue in development.

          It is promising because of the active development and user community.

          NVDA works well with screen magnifiers. There seems no need anymore to
          purchase a screen magnifier with speech.

          Peter Verhoeven

          On Windows XP it seems very stable.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
            now tried NVDA updated and impressed although
            computer locked 3 times in a row when lightning
            magnifier being used. First of any of the many
            accessibility programs I have run with lightning.
            that caused a problem. Changed to Zoomtext - no
            problems with nvda. Composed letter in wordpad
            and reading etc fine as was ub the nvda help text
            files but in word would only echo letters no
            reading possible just like using narrator - read
            e mails in outlook express and web page links etc
            in firefox.

            More info seems to be possible than with other
            screen readers.

            Why the word problems?

            FROM : WILLIAM KEATES
            75 KEYNSHAM ROAD
            SOUTHAMPTON
            SO19 5EX
            UNITED KINGDOM
            TEl +44 (0)23 80422121
            FAX +44 (0) 7092 166630

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
          • Carina en Peter
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
              Hi William,

              Have no problems with Word 2003. Everythign is read aloud if I place my
              cursor on a line of text. You can configure word and character echo.

              Did you try it with Zoomtext turned off. I used Desktopzoom with NVDA and
              that works fine. Only a pity that Desktopzoom does not track menus and caret
              tracking is very slow at this moment.

              Peter Verhoeven

              > now tried NVDA updated and impressed although computer locked
              > 3 times in a row when lightning magnifier being used. First
              > of any of the many accessibility programs I have run with lightning.
              > that caused a problem. Changed to Zoomtext - no problems with
              > nvda. Composed letter in wordpad and reading etc fine as was
              > ub the nvda help text files but in word would only echo
              > letters no reading possible just like using narrator - read e
              > mails in outlook express and web page links etc in firefox.
              >
              > More info seems to be possible than with other screen readers.
              >
              > Why the word problems?
              >
              > FROM : WILLIAM KEATES
              > 75 KEYNSHAM ROAD
              > SOUTHAMPTON
              > SO19 5EX
              > UNITED KINGDOM
              > TEl +44 (0)23 80422121
              > FAX +44 (0) 7092 166630

              > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life,
              > your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
              > http://sims.yahoo.com/ <http://sims.yahoo.com/>

            • william keates
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
                cant see where to configure word echo etc other
                than in zoomtextwhich has this enabled

                I only have word97 but NVDA wont read documents
                in open office 2.3 nor in word2003 viewer for
                .doc or the new.docx word2007 format

                Tirning off Zoomtext no help

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
                  Hi William,

                  I'd strongly recommend writing to the NVDA mailing list with your NVDA
                  problems rather than this list, since more NVDA users will be on that
                  list, and since the NVDA developers definitely read that list but may
                  not read this Magnifiers list. When you write to the NVDA list, it would
                  help if you said what version of NVDA you're using and gave steps to
                  reproduce your problem. Here's information about the NVDA mailing list:

                  http://www.nvda-project.org/community.html

                  --
                  Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis